Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2013 10:00

Venue 11 pro keyboard keeps disconnecting

When I plug my venue 11 pro into the mobile keyboard (the one with the extra battery) it will work for about 5 minutes, but then the tablet stops recognizing the keyboard and the keys and touch pad no longer work. I have to turn off the screen and turn it back on to get them to reconnect. How can I fix it so they stay connected all the time? 

828 Posts

December 6th, 2013 18:00

To others - please don't try this if you are not comfortable with the risks described in the previous emails.   This will negatively impact your battery life.

1) Run regedit

2) Browse to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\

3) Locate each entry labeled VID_06CB&PID_2819xxxxx (I have four on my machine, one that ended in 2819 only and three others with 2819&MI_0x where x is 0, 1 and 2)

4) Expand each tree until you get to the "Device Parameters" and click on it

5) On the right side of the editor, you'll see an entry for "SelectiveSuspendEnabled".   Change the value from 1 to 0.

6) Repeat for each VID_06CB&PID_2819xxxxx entry.

7) Close regedit, shut down and restart.

8) Check if this has resolved the issue or not.

9 Posts

December 7th, 2013 14:00

I did the regedit yesterday, and for the last 24 hours I've had no problems.  they keyboard seems very responsive now and no need to turn off & on.  from the regedit description I'm concerned about battery life, but thus far I don't see any real battery life changes.

4 Posts

December 9th, 2013 21:00

For those who are not comfortable with going into the registry settings, here is a walk through of how to do the same thing using the regular menus:

*These steps will only work while the keyboard dock is connected and functional at the time of execution*

-#Please forgive any upcoming typos, as there probably are going to be a few#-

Step 1: Navigate your way to This PC (formally known as "My Computer") & click System properties.  If you don't see this option, make sure you are in the leftmost Computer tab (not View)

Step 2: Click Device Manager to enter it (affirmatively confirm any user prompts that may pop up in between, if needed)

Step 3: Click on the little triangle next to Human Interface Devices to expand its list of devices downward

Step 4: You should notice 3 "USB Input Device" items toward the bottom of this expanded list and they should represent the keyboard dock hardware in the same 3 instances DELL-BRIAN B references in the registry tweaks.  We will be going into these one at a time and making ONE simple change inside (do NOT deviate from the single change to come unless you are an advanced user).

To start on the first of these 3 items, double-click the top item of the trio to open its Properties box.

Step 5a: To confirm that you are in the right place, we will check in the Details tab for the Hardware Ids property values to ensure they match what we are looking for.

Step 5b: The same identifiers will prevail with "2819&MI_0x where x is 0, 1 and 2" properly identifying the items we seek to alter.

*Note: we have NOT changed anything in Steps 5a & 5b...merely confirming the generic "USB Input Device" item that was double-clicked to enter this Properties box.  It is POSSIBLE to have more than of set of these generic items (depending on what else you may have connected to your system at the time of executing this fix).

Step 6 (ALMOST DONE): Click on the Power Management tab to show the checked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box.  This is the culprit that shuts down the keyboard dock on us (the GUI representation of Selective Suspend).

Step 7:  UNCHECK THE BOX and then click OK. 

DO THIS FOR EACH OF THE 3 ITEMS DISPLAYED FROM STEP 4.

Step 8: After completing the unchecking of each of the 3 items' boxes, close all open programs and restart Windows.  This should do the trick.  You do NOT have to do this each boot or anything or at all again. One time deal.

If you are reading this as a novice, you can now disregard the rest of this post, lol.

//beginning of geek stuff

So, yeah, I am noticing that Selective Suspend was built into the driver that the dock(s) utilize (I'm guessing, as an inherited property) and it is not only utilized, but ENABLED by default.  A specialized driver may be in order or simply a maintenance fix by way of a .reg file that just adds "SelectiveSuspendOn"=dword:00000000 to Device Parameters for each of the 3 2819&MI_0x entries (would be the same as unchecking each of the 3 boxes in the Device Manager properties for each).  I think that is all that is needed.  The manual registry method Brian suggests removes the option of Selective Suspend away from the system for the device (as not to accidentally enable it again later), but simply disengaging it is sufficient and would probably work out easier for its implementation in a maintenance fix.

I am really liking my DV11P and hope for great things to come.  geek out//

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 11:00

I'm having this same problem. Seems quite random. Only program I had open at the time was chrome with dropbox running in the system tray. The keyboard stops responding and even the caps-lock light stops responding.

December 6th, 2013 09:00

Same issue here. Just bought.

Would be great with a response from Dell here. Should I return the product?

December 6th, 2013 10:00

Yes, it is the Atom based unit. It is the travel keyboard with battery. What happens is suddenly the keyboard dies, nothing works. To get it back to action, just press power off and put it to sleep for 1 second, power up and it works again. Very irritating. Happens 3-5 times an hour. All functionality is dead both keyboard and mouse.

Also, I find that wifi is spotty. Often there is a pause in data transmission for maybe 20-30 seconds after which it picks up again. 

Are those known problems with known solutions?

828 Posts

December 6th, 2013 10:00

Do you have Venue 11 Pro 5130 (the Atom based unit)?    Is this the thin keyboard or the travel keyboard (e.g. with battery)?

What specifically happens when you lose connection?   Just no functionality (typing or mouse)?   How often does this happen?

December 6th, 2013 11:00

How do I check which BIOS version I have?

Secondly, I have not changed driver. The one I am using was the one that came preinstalled. Is the web posted one you are referring to different from the pre-installed one?

828 Posts

If you go to the search tool (swipe in from the right) and type MSINFO32 and hit enter, you can see your BIOS version listed under "BIOS Version/Date".  If you have A03, please download and install A04.

I'm not sure which WIFI driver you would have - depends on when your unit was built, but it probably wouldn't hurt to download the new one, uninstall the old one and then install the downloaded version.   I've had a constant ping going to grande.com since the last message and I haven't dropped a single packet yet.   I'm also downstairs and a long way from my second floor closet router.

Let me know.

Thanks.

828 Posts

I have that exact same unit sitting on my desk in front and me and can't reproduce yet.    Do you know which version of the BIOS you have?  I'm running A04 -> http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11-pro?driverId=RJ0TC&osCode=WB32A&fileId=3326044417&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

I have the web posted WIFI driver installed as well -> http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11-pro?driverId=50G57&osCode=WB32A&fileId=3299109780&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

I'll set up ping window and see if I can see any packet drops.    Please be sure that you've taken all available Microsoft updates and that your router has the latest available firmware.  

Seeing a few people report this and will definitely get to the bottom of it, but I need to understand how to reproduce it first.

Thanks.

828 Posts

December 6th, 2013 14:00

On the WIFI stuff, can you post your driver version?   I just did 10000 pings of grande.com and had 9997 received and 3 lost, so my unit does not seem to be seeing a problem with WIFI. 

December 6th, 2013 17:00

l would like to discuss the original topic regarding the keyboard.  I have the same equipment (venue 11 Atom BIOS A04, travel keyboard with battery in it).  I am experiencing the sporadic unresponsiveness of the keyboard/touchpad as well.  Sometimes it will become responsive again after a few seconds or when I Alt-TAB to another app and back to the original while on other occasions it will require me to tap the power button and then press it again in order for the unit to start responding again.  Any insights into this would be appreciated. 

Yes, I am technical.  Send me the regedit and I will test it out.

828 Posts

Is anyone seeing this occur on the Venue 11 Pro 7130 or just the 5130 (Atom version)?

I have made the change and will test it out to see if the behavior stops.  Any ideas how negatively this will impact battery life?  What all do these registry entries control?  I value my battery life and it was one of the key features of this tablet I like.  Thanks.

No Events found!