Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 5th, 2016 05:00

Venue 8 Pro (5830) - Windows 10 Anniversary Update woes....

On the back of 100+ successful updates (mostly to OptiPlex AIO's, but also to an Alienware Aurora R4 and Venue 11 Pro (7140),  I thought that I would have a go with my Venue 8 Pro (5830).  I thought that I had succeeded: all went perfectly until the final restart.  I now have a device that displays a black screen with the message ' internal hard disk drive not found'.

I am 100% certain that there is not a hardware fault - I suspect that this relates to a partition problem, or corrupt MBR.  Sadly my 25 years experience as an IT Manager has prevented me from getting anywhere near resolving this.  I have almost every Dell OS Recovery & Restore DVD and USB Key.  I have numerous Windows 10 build disk USB sticks, but I can do nothing to convince the Venue 8 Pro to rebuild.

I believe I have tried everything, but would welcome input from anyone who have managed to overcome such a problem: essentially, all I want to do is a clean software rebuild.

Of course, the unit is out of warranty and Dell would like £59 + VAT to suggest software solutions!

307 Posts

August 5th, 2016 18:00

Hi, I am not sure what you mean when you said you could do nothing to convince the DV8P to rebuild. At this point I would assume that your Windows 10 partition is beyond recovery. Why not just do a clean install of Windows 10 from a USB flashdrive with Windows 10 made created the Media Creation Tool? Of course before doing the clean install you will need to fix the partition problem. I am not aware of what tool to use to fix that problem perhaps something like GParted Live.

No Events found!