Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2013 13:00

Venue 8 Pro GPS?

I see that the Venue 8 Pro has an accelerometer, but no GPS is mentioned.  Even little smart phones have GPS.  Is the hardware present in the device, but unused by Dell?  I suspect the hardware is there, like with HDMI, where the capability is there in hardware, but Dell didn't use it for this device.  Bummer.

June 12th, 2014 22:00

There is no hardware GPS present, per se, but there is what is called "aGPS." aGPS uses your computer's IP address to approximate where you are but only to an accuracy of about a couple miles. Your best bet would be to obtain a true GPS receiver either using Bluetooth (for example, GlobalSat BT-368i Bluetooth GPS Receiver ) or USB (for example, GlobalSat ND-100S USB GPS Dongle).

88 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 08:00

The android version has it, maybe a windows driver is needed?  If you load up gps software maybe that would install a driver?  Can you find a freebie program that reads the gps online?  I know I've seen those somewhere like cnet maybe?

1 Message

November 24th, 2013 11:00

I suspect that if you want GPS, you will need to get the 3G version that is rumored to be offered in December.  Since Most 3G chipsets have an integrated GPS, this is an easy add-on for manufacturers.

Apple made the same choice with Ipads...

2 Posts

November 24th, 2013 13:00

As suemccartin said, the Android one has GPS.  They are also built on the Intel chip family.  No 3G in the 8", 2-core Atom.  They could have put Windows on it.

15 Posts

November 26th, 2013 13:00

I see that the Venue 8 Pro has an accelerometer, but no GPS is mentioned.  Even little smart phones have GPS.  Is the hardware present in the device, but unused by Dell?  I suspect the hardware is there, like with HDMI, where the capability is there in hardware, but Dell didn't use it for this device.  Bummer.

Hello Lsitongia, 

The Venue 7 and Venue 8 have GPS. While you have to be connected to WIFIthe first time you use it to accept the End Users License Agreement.  When it comes to the Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro, they include aGPS.  aGPS requires either a WIFI, or Mobile Broadband connection.

Hope that helps!

-Don D

1 Message

December 16th, 2013 07:00

Any way to confirm if the GPS is working?  I don't see a sensor for GPS under Location Services and it seems to have gotten disabled.

25 Posts

December 16th, 2013 08:00

The Venue 8 Pro doesn't have a GPS.  

14 Posts

December 16th, 2013 11:00

I'm sorry, but I get mixed up. Does the A-GPS require normal GPS, it's a kind of addition to GPS, doesn't it?

If I am wrong, correct me please.

15 Posts

December 16th, 2013 12:00

I'm sorry, but I get mixed up. Does the A-GPS require normal GPS, it's a kind of addition to GPS, doesn't it?

If I am wrong, correct me please.

Hello SirPL,

This is easy to get mixed up on.  GPS devices like the Venue 7 & 8, work with the global positioning system to calculate your location and can be blocked by being underground or inside building structures.  AGPS on the other hand, is Assisted GPS. It is assisted by available WIFI signals.  This means it will require a WIFI signal to calculate it's location.  It does this by calculating location according to IP addresses of the WIFI provider.

The Venue 8 Pro is AGPS.

Hope that helps,

-Don D

15 Posts

December 16th, 2013 12:00

Any way to confirm if the GPS is working?  I don't see a sensor for GPS under Location Services and it seems to have gotten disabled.

Hello Jgroezin,

To test your GPS, you will need a program that utilizes it.  Google maps is a great program for this.  Make sure you have access to a WIFI connection and launch Google maps.  Once you accept the end user agreement, your local map pack should download automatically. Once this update is complete, your GPS can function.

Hope that helps!

-Don D

14 Posts

December 16th, 2013 13:00

Dear Don, thank you for your answer. Now everything seems to be clear.

1 Message

February 24th, 2014 15:00

Hello SirPL,

This is easy to get mixed up on.  GPS devices like the Venue 7 & 8, work with the global positioning system to calculate your location and can be blocked by being underground or inside building structures.  AGPS on the other hand, is Assisted GPS. It is assisted by available WIFI signals.  This means it will require a WIFI signal to calculate it's location.  It does this by calculating location according to IP addresses of the WIFI provider.

The Venue 8 Pro is AGPS.

Hope that helps,

-Don D

Hi Don

I am afraid your answer is adding to people getting mixed up and is misleading.

aGPS uses an internet connection to assist an onboard GPS chip in acquiring a fix by downloading the orbital data almanac, speeding up the time it takes for the GPS chip to obtain a locational fix. aGPS does not require an internet/data connection, if none exists it will fall back to plain GPS.

What you describe, that the Venue Pro *requires*  wifi connection, and that it uses the ip address or wifi provider location, is NOT aGPS, this is WPS (wifi positioning system), from providers like skyhook wireless.

So, is the venue pro aGPS or WPS?

Thanks

6 Posts

June 12th, 2014 00:00

My DVP8 shows 'sierra wireless location sensor' under device manager/sensor. What is that one, is that GPS sensor. But do not find GPS data in maps.

14 Posts

June 12th, 2014 03:00

Do you have 3G or WiFi only version?

6 Posts

June 12th, 2014 04:00

WiFi only,64gb version
No Events found!