I have a new XPS 13 2 in 1 (9365).
Also bought the PN556W.
At first it seemed everything was fine. Paired perfectly, writes well, top buttons open OneNote and can be configured in the pen control panel for other shortcuts etc.
However, every reboot/restart I need to repair the pen as the top buttons stop working.
- I notice that after a reboot the pen is reported as "PAIRED", but not "CONNECTED" in the Windows 10 bluetooth settings page.
- when I re-pair the pen, the status changes from "PAIRED" to "CONNECTED" again and all is fine until the next restart.
- sometimes when exiting sleep or standby the same problem will happen.
Any ideas ? Could this be a bug in Windows 10 Creators Update (1703).
Very annoying behaviour.
Welcome to our community.
The issue that you’ve reported is a known issue after the Windows 10 creators update. Clicking on the Dell Active Pen PN556W Bluetooth button while the Operating System and Services/Processes are still loading will not launch the relevant application immediately.
We are working with the suppliers for a permanent solution on this issue. We request you to bear until we get an answer from them.
As a workaround, you can try the following mentioned steps:
1. Un-pair and re-pair the pen with the system via Bluetooth. After pairing is complete, the Bluetooth button press function will recover immediately.
2. User can choose to wait for the system to be fully loaded. This can take up to a few minutes depending on system and number of Services/Processes to be loaded.
Let us know if you any queries for us.
Thanks very much - this gives me hope a permanent solution will be found
Am using the work-around you've suggested in the meantime.
(but still pulling my hair out !)
I have a brand new 8285 with PN557W and have the same issue.
The workaround does not help, so the active button is useless unless I do the pairing again.
In addition: I have Anniversary release installed and the pen stops working after a few minutes after pairing. Really annoying.
is there any update on this as it is now nearly October with no sign of any fix in sight, this is terrible customer service as the issue above was first logged in June. I have bought an expensive pen to give my expensive laptop and it is just not good enough that only half of the pens features work. I did not have this problem with my surface pro 3 and pen.
I have the problem with my new PN556W. When I restart it disconnects form the system and I can't use it to access the shortcuts. Is their any update on a solution on this regard.