Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2017 07:00

10 bit color output by HDMI or DP port

Hi,

I use HP Z820 workstation with Dell monitor UP2516D based on which I run Davinci resolve 14 editing software. I am going to buy Blackmagic Decklink minimonitor 4k that gives 10bit output via HDMI/SDI and will be plugged in Dell monitor. But I am worried about the connector cable (HDMI / DP). I would like to ask you whether 10 bit output is available via HDMI or DP or both? If I get 10bit output via HDMI, then problem is solved but I need to buy a proper HDMI cable. The size of HDMI cable of Dell monitor is HDMI 1.4, however, that of Decklink minimonitor 4K is HDMI 2.0a. So what kind of HDMI cable should I buy to match the size. Any response will be appreciated. Thank you very much.   

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 6th, 2017 09:00

All of the video in ports (HDMI 1.4/HDMI 1.4/DP 1.2/mDP 1.2) on the UP2516D are capable of doing the Color Depth 1.07B 10bit using FRC 8bit + 2bit.

This is confusing =

"The size of HDMI cable of Dell monitor is HDMI 1.4, however, that of Decklink minimonitor 4K is HDMI 2.0a. So what kind of HDMI cable should I buy to match the size."

Dell did not ship an HDMI cable. So you must have meant, "The size of HDMI port of Dell monitor is HDMI 1.4".

But that is also confusing. The physical size of the HDMI 1.4 port and the HDMI 2.0 port are identical.

2 Posts

October 9th, 2017 04:00

HI Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply. Actullay, Dell gives me only a mDP and USB3, so I use mDP cable for connecting Monitor and my CPU. And I have to buy a HDMI 2.0a cable in order to connect Monitor and Blackmagic decklink card. Yes I meant the size of HDMI port/specification of dell monitor is 1.4. Sorry for not making you clear. If they are identical, then that is fine. Thanks again Chris. I appreciate your help.

2 Posts

July 27th, 2018 16:00

Hey, this may sound dumb but I got another question reguarding this.

If I connect my UP2516D to the BlackMagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K via HDMI, then I shouldn't need to use the DP cable anymore, right? But will this anyhow decreased the quality or any other thing? Really don't know much about the difference between HDMI and DP, which one should I use since DeckLink Monitor only has the HDMI port. I'm confused about this.

Thanks.

No Events found!