Highlighted
carlwhart
Bronze

17" monitor won't stay on more than 2 seconds

I have a 17 inch stand alone monitor which came with my Dimension 4600 a few years ago. I can't find a name on it. This morning I discovered that the monitor was black even though the compter was on. If I rebooted the computer, the monitor would go on for just a second or two before going black again. After the computer finished starting up, when I disconnected and reconnected the monitor cable, I would see the desktop for just a couple of seconds. It's not the power and it's not my computer. I connected the monitor from my kids computer, and it works fine. Is it worth fixing or do I need to buy another monitor?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
CalebAndCo
Copper

Re: Monitor won't stay on more than 2 seconds

I am having a similar problem:  my mother's LCD turns on, but shows a picture for 1 second, then goes dark.  If I turn it back on, it does the same.

Have you found any information?

0 Kudos

I was having probems with my DVD and CD drives and was directed to replace the battery for the computer.  I disconnected all of the wires from the computer, opened it, read the information on the battery so I knew what to buy.   I then put the computer back together, and my monitor did the same thing.  I can not believe that unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in would cause this monitor to fail.

Did you get any resolutions?

0 Kudos
msmcgyver
Copper

ME TO SWITCHED OUT ALL POWER CORD AND MONITOR CORD AND SAME THING 2 SECONDS ON ANOTHER COMPUTER, hELP

<ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos

If the monitor does not stay on during the Self Test, it is defective.

* Turn the monitor off
* Disconnect all monitor cords from the computer
* Turn the monitor on
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background and stay on

0 Kudos
msmcgyver
Copper

I can see a faint back ground it is functioning just not bright for more than 2 seconds My monitor
0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Anything under 20" is not worth repairing - the cost of a new monitor with a full 3-year warranty is lower than the cost of having the backlight replaced.

0 Kudos
msmcgyver
Copper

Did anyone try uninstalling the driver? Did anyone try removing the have drive and memory and reinstalling? i have seen these both as solutions.

I have 2 computers my working monitor works on both the non-working one, doesn't work on both. I changed power cord and monitor cords do we think it is the light bulb? I can see a faint image of the monitor functioning properly.

Thanks

Shuree

0 Kudos

I ran the test ( unplugged the monitor from the computer and just had the power cable connected to the monitor and then turned it on) it stayed on for a second or two and then went off.... Is this how these monitors Fail or show signs of failing?? Is it worth getting repaired?   I reallly seems strange that just by unplugging the monitor and then plugging it back in would cause t;his issue.

0 Kudos

The monitor will come on.  THe dell logo flashes and then goes to the VGA that moves up the screen.  Then the monitor will turn off.  A few seconds will go by, then it will do it again.  The longest it will stay on is 4-5 seconds.  Switched power cables, same thing.  Mine is happening on a 2007 FPb.

0 Kudos