Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2003 20:00

1901 FP Monitor Fuzzy and other questions

Please excuse the ignorance but I have a couple of questions.  I just received my new PC yesterday with the 1901 FP monitor.  Everything is looking fuzzy and I was wondering if there is some setup I need to do.

Also, the monitor came with an analog and digital cable plus a power cord and USB cable.  I know I just hook up either the digital or analog cable but not both.  Do I also need the power cord and USB cable plugged in?  If I hook up the digital cable, is there something I need to setup in the monitor settings or video card (Geforce FX5200) to get this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

21 Posts

November 21st, 2003 19:00

First lets deal with the fuzzy monitor.  All LCD's have a native resolution that works the best.  Any other resolution creates fuzzy appearence issues.  That monitor should be set to 1280 X 1024 and you will see crisp if not small items.  You can likely set the thing to 32 bit colour with no problems either.  Then go into display properties and change the font settings to larger if you like.   You should also consider changing the way fonts are displayed to use Clear Type font.  Other posts in this list will direct you on that issue.

You will need to plug your monitor in,  attach the USB cable to the PC and use the white DVI cable for the best picture.  They should have provided a nice big plastisized getting started sheet to show you how to hook it up.

Good luck...Wes

18 Posts

November 21st, 2003 21:00

I had similar concerns about the quality of the display.  I was trying to use 1024 x 768 to help with the eyes.  I changed the resolution to 1280 x 1024 which is the native resolution for the 1901FP and confirmed that the display was much crisper.  However, that does reduce the size of the fonts.  I found another discussion regarding setup for the 1901FP in the thread below.  Changing the effects setting in the display properties and enabling clear type has helped with the font issue. Also, I found that I was so excited to get my desk back (had 19" Sony Trinitron before) that I had the flat panel too far back on my desk.  I read somewhere that the monitor should be an arm's length from you for best ergonomics.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=28289&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

No Events found!