3 Argentum

1901FP User Report

Whoops - sorry, the first NTpost went off before I could type anything.

I have been using the 1901FP for a week now and am happy to report that is the best, sharpest and brightest monitor I have ever used. The build quality is great and the rotate feature works well with the ATI Catalyst [Omega] 3.8 drivers I use with my ATI Radeon 9700TX video card. I see no ghosting with games and the screen-print color matching is essentially perfect in Photoshop (Icalibrated the monitor with a ColorVision Spyder and PhotoCal software.) BTW, PC Connection is selling the Spyder and software for $170 with an additional $50 rebate before October 31 - this is a very low price. This is a far better way to calibrate a monitor than Adobe Gamma, which really doesn't work satisfactorily with LCD monitors.

Bob N.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
3 Cadmium

Re: 1901FP User Report

welcome to the 1901 (and 1900) club. Great prices and great quality. Some people have gotten 1901s for around $500 if they watch the Dell site closely. If I see another offer like that, I'll grab another one, it's just credit right? hehehe
0 Kudos
5 Rhenium

they got the 1901fp at small biz for $519 this weekend. i would get one but i bought the ati 9800 pro last week, so i am short on funds at the moment.
0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I had the 1901fp and it is a great monitor. Although it does ghosts. Download the demo for star trek elite force II or play half life. You will definitely see some ghosting. Most other games were better. In the end I got a NEC FP2141 from dell. It is not quite as bright but the ghosting issue is gone and the sceen is larger. If I played no games I would have kept the 1901fp.
0 Kudos

I just got a 1901FP. But I am not that happy. The fonts are not really sharp. I am running it at 60Hz and 1024 x  display.

Fonts are really blurry. Colors are very good though. If it continues like this, I may have to call in for a replacement. (BTW, my box was retaped with Dell tape, could it be returned one ?)

Any ideas how to fix the sharpness/clarity ??

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

You must set the monitor's resolution to 1284x1024, the native resolution for this and most LCD monitors. Anything else will look blurred. If it still isn't right, go to the on-screen display and restore the factory settings. This monitor is needle-sharp when set up properly.

Bob N.

0 Kudos

But at 1280 x 1024 the font is really tiny, and so is everything else....  That is not right. Why should I be forced to make it the max resolution ? It wasn't mentioned anywhere on the Dell website.

Isn't there any way of making 1024 x resolution clearer ? I might have to return it and keep my CRT 19", which ws pretty clear.

Message Edited by poorabpaschim on 10-22-2003 08:33 PM

0 Kudos
3 Argentum

I guess it's a matter of personal taste. Things look fine to me at 1280x1024. You can control text size in Internet Explorer's View menu and you can go to Display Properties/Advanced and change the dpi setting to Large if you want things to look bigger onscreen.

Bob N.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I got one.  It has one dead read pixel.

Other than that this thing is great.  Very very bright.  And I'm not sure who would complain about blurry text.  If you use the DVI it couldn't get any sharper.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I had a 1900fp (DELL OEM version of Samsung 191t). I really loved it. However after about 4 months of use it developed a very loud humming noise. After going back and forth with support for 6 weeks I finally got the replacement today. They sent me a 1901fp instead.

As far as I can tell the display quality of the two displays is identical. Very nice. And this unit has no dead pixels (my old one had one). I also like the ability to rotate to portrait mode.

It's likely that I will eventually buy a 23" 16x9 LCD that does 1920x1600 soon. At which time I'll use this one as a 2nd display in portrait mode. That will be killer me thinks...

-cek

0 Kudos