Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2017 06:00

1907FP, Inspiron Desktop 3668, HDMI to DVI PSM issue

Setup:  Dimension 5150 desktop, Dell 1907FP monitor

When the monitor is connected via the DVI digital white port on the monitor, when the compute powers down, the monitor gets a signal and goes into power saver mode. The on/off switch turns from green to amber. Nothing shows on the monitor.

New Setup:   Inspiron 3668 desktop, Dell 1907FP monitor

When the monitor is connected via the VGA blue port, when the compute powers down, the monitor gets a signal and goes into power saver mode. The on/off switch turns from green to amber. Nothing shows on the monitor.

In trying to get our new Inspiron 3668 to connected digitally to the monitor, we purchased a DVI to HDMI cable. With the digital connection to the Inspiron HDMI port, the monitor no longer receives a power down signal. So when the computer is shut down, the computer stays in Power On mode. n/off button is green vs. amber and self-test shows indicated no signal being received.

How do you configure the digital connection to the Inspiron 3668 to send the monitor a power down signal when the computer is being shut-off?

This appears to be a digital issue with the Inspiron 3668 not the monitor since as you can see above, the Dimension 5150 sent a shut-down signal to the monitor fine with the DVI to DVI digital connection.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 16th, 2017 07:00

Dell never tested the 2016 3668 with this 10 year old monitor so we cannot replicate. Based on your testing, the HDMI out cannot correctly communicate with the old monitor via the HDMI to DVI to activate the correct power save mode. Use a VGA to VGA cable. Or, attach a newer monitor that has an HDMI in port to use with the newer computer.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2018 12:00

Chris M:

I just bought an Inspiron 3668 with intentions of using it with my fine 1907fpc with great resolution.  Do I now have to settle for VGA's inferior analog resolution?  Can I connect both the VGA to VGA and DVID adaptive cable HDMI  to achieve a  proper shut-down without sacrificing the digital signal?  Also, I was told that I could use the square screen with Windows 10 by Dells sales person.  Do I have to do anything to avoid scrolling from left to right?   Thanks,

Gary

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 5th, 2018 12:00

From one computer, only one monitor cable should be connected to the video card. Regardless of which monitor in port used (VGA/DVI) on the 11 year old 1907FP, the maximum resolution for both will be 1280x1024 60Hz. So the VGA is not inferior in this case. Using VGA, will allow you to first open the OSD (On Screen Display) and choose "Auto Adjust". You can then also use "Positioning".

1907FPOSD.PNG

4 Posts

February 12th, 2018 07:00

Chris M:

Do I understand that what was achieved through DVID single digital cable then, can now be achieved with an analog signal from the Inspirion?   When I purchased my XPS 410 and 1907FP I was told that the DVID cable together with the then high resolution 1907 would provide the best picture.  Are you saying that the video card with an analog signal can create the same resolution?  Will nothing more be achieved by using a DVID to HDMI adapter rather then using a VGA cable and it’s input on the monitor? 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2018 08:00

For this 11 year old 1907FP, yes, using either DVI in or VGA in will produce the same display at 1280x1024 60Hz. Honestly, I would not be using this 2016 computer with such an old monitor. I could not live with 1280x1024 60Hz.

4 Posts

February 14th, 2018 13:00

Chris

The questions still remain: Why would Dell provide and insist that I use a digital DVID connection with my XPS410 to the 1970FP monitor to achieve what was billed as a high definition image. How can an analog VGA connection possibly be the same?  It doesn't sound logical.  A “cleaner and crisper image” was always the hallmark of a DVID connection. And therefore, why wouldn’t a connection from the Inspirion HDMI out to the DVID in of the 1970FP, (using an adaptor), be much more desirable, (save for the fact that a manually shut down is required)?  Like many I can’t afford to replace my computer every 4 or 5 years. I realize that Dell would like me to purchase a new monitor. I’m on a fixed income and find nothing wrong with what I was told is an enhanced image from Dell’s 1970FP/XPS410 set up. (I spent $1700 on the XPS410 system plus $600 on the Inspiron.) Even my IT people at work tell me that VGA hookups are antiquated. How does the image remain the same with a VGA hookup as I enjoyed with the digital hookup that I had with my XPS410?  If the maximum for the 1970FP is 1280 X1024 @60, does that mean that the with the VGA connection it is less and can only be achieved through the HDMI connection?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2018 13:00

I cannot speak to what they told you when the XPS 410 was purchased. Using DVI will not make the 1280x1024 60Hz clearer or sharper than using VGA.

No Events found!