Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2006 01:00

1907FP USB not recognized

My computer repeatedly says that the "USB device is not recognized," and thus it is not working at all. I received this monitor today, and everything else is fine about it, except that none of the USB inputs on the monitor work as of now. No matter which port I put the USB cable in on my computer, it still says that the device is not recognized.

If there is anyway to fix this, please let me know. Is there a USB driver I need? Do some computers just not work with these "monitor hubs?" I know my computer is older- it's a Gateway 700XL, but I thought it would be capable of handling this connection from the monitor. Again, everything else is fine, it's just been annoying not being able to use the USB ports on the monitor.

Thanks for any help. And, by the way, why isn't there a service tag on the back of my monitor?

12.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 08:00

Did you connect the black upstream USB cable from underneath the monitor to the usb port on the back of your computer by chance  ?

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR memory
Windows XP Home
17 inch 1703 FP monitor
XFX 7800 GS O/C AGP ( 91.31 driver )
48x CDRW
16x DVD-R
410 watt ( PcPower&Cooling )
PC-Cillon Internet Security

Message Edited by SR45 on 08-23-200605:42 AM

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 17:00

Yes, I did connect the black upstream USB cable from the monitor to the usb port on my computer. I tried all of my USB ports, in fact, and some would initially start the "found new hardware" process, only to be followed, every time, by a USB icon in my tray that said "One of your USB devices is not recognized." But I definitely installed it correctly and very carefully.

So I'm not sure what to do. It may be a computer issue, but shouldn't there be a driver upgrade for such an issue? Or is it something else? Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.

12.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 17:00

What about SP-2 on your system.  Do you have it installed ?  Are you using Windows XP  ?  You may need SP-1a at least ( Or SP-2 )  to get them to work on that brand new monitor

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/USB/USBFAQ_intro.mspx

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR memory
Windows XP Home
17 inch 1703 FP monitor
48x CDRW
16x DVD-R

Message Edited by SR45 on 08-23-200602:46 PM

August 23rd, 2006 19:00

Greetings to all.

Please excuse my butting in this thread, but after reading it, I have a few comments to make.

For the OP I suggest:

Restart in Safe mode > remove the USB Devices to be sure you haven't any "ghosts" > Restart > PC should detect "New Hardware" and install the proper drivers for the USB Devices. If that fails (possible, but unlikely), then use "add new hardware" and navigate to the location of the correct drivers.

If that fails, then one must search for compatible updated drivers from the PC manufacturer source.

Below, only semi-related:

I'd assume that the OP is using at least W2K or WinXP sp-1/sp-2 as they'd probably have a greater USB problem than what's stated. More about that later.

The OP benmos stated: "...by a USB icon in my tray that said "One of your USB devices is not recognized."

W9.x systems don't have this feature. Perhaps W2K/W2K Server/ WinME/WinNT4 do have this, but I have no experience with those OS'es

OP inquired: "...Do some computers just not work with these "monitor hubs?" I know my computer is older- it's a Gateway 700XL, but I thought it would be capable of handling this connection from the monitor. Again, everything else is fine, it's just been annoying not being able to use the USB ports on the monitor.

Having tried several 1907FP monitors (as well as a 2007FPb) and all having had severe issues with the USB upstream connector cable > utilize the 4 downstream USB ports, I can almost definitely state that one needs at least Win2K or better to even run these monitors with the USB cable connected. The Monitor(s) will work on older systems and OS'es, however, I'm not sure it is runing at an optimum state though.

In my case, when using W98se (Optiplex GX240 / A05 BIOS) and having the USB cable connected, the PC freezes rock solid during Shutdown/Restart with both 1907FP and 2007FPb. This is not the case with the 2007FPb on WinXP on my second HD-D.

The respective drivers (usbhub.sys and usbd.sys) are vastly different between the two OS'es and Win98se will not support using the WinXP USB drivers. If one tries to run those drivers in Win98se, one will have an issue loading the OS with the NTKERN.VXD file.

Now, if one has USB 2.0 with the correct Drivers on Win98se, this *may*possibly change things for the better. I'll let you know eventually. *ggg*

Additionally, according to the install disk for the Monitor itself, the Drivers for this monitor are only WinXP and Win2K supported. The only Dell Download of the Driver for the Monitor is for systems such as Optiplex GX280 or Dimension, Inspiron, etc.PC's (and the like) for a 2007FP. No-one at Dell has been "hip" to this fact. (Same applies for the 1907FP). It's not listed as a supported driver for W98se on the Optiplex system I'm using.

Supported Systems and Platform for 1907FP

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/compatibility?c=us&cs=19&l=en&releaseid=R119568&s=dhs&~mode=popup

1907FPc supported systems and platforms

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/compatibility?c=us&cs=19&l=en&releaseid=R116821&s=dhs&~mode=popup

1907FPt supported systems and platforms

1907FPt Driver Download page

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R116840&SystemID=PLX_GX280&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10386&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&libid=22&fileid=154369

2007FP Supported Platforms

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/compatibility?c=us&cs=19&l=en&releaseid=R113371&s=dhs&~mode=popup

2007FP Driver Download page

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

OP asked: "...why isn't there a service tag on the back of my monitor?"

I think you will find a Barcode serial number label and other info on the back. I think that serves the same purpose as a "Service Tag".

Just my 2 cents worth of diverse info gathered from 1.5 months of trial and error.

(edit: URL's)

Message Edited by Captain Picky on 08-23-200603:23 PM

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 20:00

Thanks for all the help, to everyone. I've tried removing the USB hubs and restarting, but I'll try it in safe mode too. I have a Gateway 700XL with Windows XP SP2 installed, for the poster who asked. I wish Gateway had updated USB drivers for this computer, but apparently they don't. Are there any USB drivers on the web that might help this?

I believe my USB 2.0 controller is called "NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller", but I may be wrong on this. If this helps, great. But the USB for the whole computer seems to be shaky because even when I use an external USB hub, it sometimes will not turn on or be recognized. It's touchy, and I'm sure it's a similar computer-issue here.

So thanks for the help so far, but I still can't use my monitor USB ports. If anyone has any more ideas, I'd appreciate them very much.

August 23rd, 2006 20:00

Might also find this site *USBMan* to be of some use.

Warning: Miles upon miles of Pages / Links / Info / T-Shooting / FAQ's / Platform specific info and more than you wanted to know. :smileyvery-happy:

http://www.usbman.com/WinME%20USB%20Guide.htm

http://www.usbman.com/Drivers%20and%20Patches.htm

http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Computers%20with%20Known%20USB%20Problems.htm

HomePage /Index

http://www.usbman.com/index.htm

HTH.

August 23rd, 2006 21:00

Hello.

I should add (have previously stated) that before doing the safe-mode removal of troublesome USB Devices, take note of the IRQ assignments in BIOS and write them down for possible future use / correction.

Reason: WinXP and 2000 - Removing USB devices in Safe Mode will force the OS to refresh the USB driver stack and may cause a shift in IRQ assignment.

source: http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

When time permits, I'll try to see if some drivers might be available for DL from a reliable source. Can't do that at this moment; kinda tied up with stuff. It's been a while and a mess here, so I'll also need to look at which System Devices are directly related to this.

Places to look for drivers: PC Manufacturer / various Driver and DLL download sites  (usually, many will offer Drivers as well as dll's, ocx's, vxd's and the like). Try NEC (if that's a proper beginning). Remember: "Google is your friend", so, using the proper search strings, give that a try .

12.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2006 21:00

Click on Start, right click on My Computer, click on Properties, click on Hardware, click on Device Manager.  Now look for the Universal serial Bus on the list and see what it shows.  If you see a yellow question mark I think, let us know.  It means the driver is missing

August 26th, 2006 08:00

Before we proceed any further along these lines, have you had any positive progress in the interim period when it appeared that this Forum was 'down' ?

What have you uncovered regarding your device manager and what is displayed within it ?

You wrote "....My computer repeatedly says that the "USB device is not recognized, ..." Where does the computer "say" that ? IOW, from where are you getting that info; where is it displayed ?

Since the USB Drivers are of two types: controller and hubs, what does the device manager *display* when you examine it? Have you also "viewed the devices by connection" ? In my instance, the controllers are Intel Drivers and the hubs are Microsoft Drivers.

Have you ever used any Native Windows Utility or third-party utility to thoroughly identify which System Board you have and by whom it was manufactured ? In the event you haven't, they can be invaluable to pinpoint what you have and give a good place to star as far as looking for issues or upgrades. For example, while I was looking about, I read that the Gateway 700XL is said to have an Intel D875PBZ (Canterwood) motherboard.

A third-party utilty such as HWinfo / Sisoft Sandra / Aida32 / Everest / or even Belarc Advisor (by far, not my favorite) can be of some aid to obtaining more precise info on what you have.

Lastly, a manual means of "select (drivers) by showing all hardware" can be utilized to install a better driver than that which Windows might find on it's own. This is only true if you know exactly what you are looking for by exact name and model. I'm hardly experienced with WinXP, but I think you can roll-back with some ease to the previous driver if you muss things up.

4 Posts

August 27th, 2006 00:00

Thanks for your posts, CP.

I haven't had any luck with the monitor yet. I removed the USB hubs/controllers and uninstalled them, but when everything came back when I refreshed it and I plugged everything back in, the error message returned.

The device manager shows the following items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers":
- Generic USB Hub
- High-Speed USB Bridge Cable
- Intel($) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller- 2442
- NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
- NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
- NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
- Unknown Device--- (THIS IS THE MONITOR)
- USB 2.0 Root Hub
- USB Printing Support
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

That's it. There are no question marks or indicators of problems, other than the "Unknown Device" which, when double clicked, states, "No drivers are installed for this device."

And yes, the message "USB Device Not Recognized" pops up in the system tray in the lower right hand corner of my screen whenever I plug it in. It also states that "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." But yeah, that pops up in a bubble at the bottom right of the screen above a USB icon every time I plug it in to try it again.

Your thoughts about the Intel Drivers/Microsoft drivers for controllers and hubs seems accurate.

I'm not sure about the system board suggestion or the other details you mentioned. I'm still not sure where to find better drivers, even though I tried installing ones for the NEC devices from several driver websites (no luck once installed).

Well, that's enough info for now. Thanks to everyone for all your help so far. I'm not sure there is a solution to this problem, after trying several things now. It's not a huge issue, I guess, because I do have a backup USB hub I can connect stuff to, but I was just hoping these monitor USB ports would work as advertised.

Anyway, if anyone has anything else, I'd love to read it, but otherwise, don't stress too much over it. I'm over that stage, seeing that it's not a huge letdown overall. But if you have another idea, great.

Thanks.

August 27th, 2006 10:00

YW benmos. Yet it's unfortunate that I nor anyone else has been able to get to the root of this problem. Worse still to have to keep asking further questions of you.

You wrote that you had another hub available for use. It's assumed that any other selected device works when connected to it. Is that right ?  It's also assumed that you've tried the monitor in that hub and you've had the problem that's been described. I'm just trying to get it clear if it's related solely to the monitor (as a standalone "hub") or if it also affects other USB ports, both those built into the PC as well as any ancillary external hub.

You've removed all USB devices, etc. (and in safe-mode so as to assure no 'ghosts' are present. OR at least looked after normal mode removal), and upon re-boot, the operating system detects "new hardware" properly. If everything proceeds along a normal course, then it is assumed that the devices themselves, be they intrinsic built-in ones or third-party USB PC cards are all in order.

Incidentally, that's a lot of USB ports and hubs you've got there ! :-D

I don't know if you really looked into my post regarding these monitors and W98se and XP. But for me, if I use the Monitors USB upstream cable to my PC when in my w98SE OS, the entire PC freezes at shutdown/reboot. OTOH, if I do the same when booted into the XP Pro OS, then it works fine.

Point is that there *is* something amiss with this Monitor and w98SE, but not with XP. Therefore, in answer to your question about these ports 'working' ("...as advertised...". And, by *omission* Dell says absolutely nothing regarding these monitors and W98se), it depends on which operating system is in use (here).

Since you're using XP, it would be assumed - all things being the same - that it should work.

Now in my case - with XP - under USB Controllers, the Generic USB hub *is* the detected Monitor's upstream cable connection to my PC. I just checked it, as normally it must remain disconnected it if I want to use W98SE in a normal manner without freeze at shutdown/restart.

There is a driver for it and it's C:\Windows\System32\drivers\usbhub.sys
File version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158).
Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 7/1/2001
Driver version: 5.1.2600.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

It is deemed to be the best it can find and it does work OK. Have an iPod connected to the Monitor's USB output port and that is a USB Mass Storage Device. This also has an MS driver which is in order and functioning fine.
Also associated with the iPod under the "Storage Volumes" header is a Generic Volume also having an MS Driver. This too is in order.
You're absolutely certain that the Unknown device is your Dell Monitor ? You've tested that to be certain; correct ? Maybe you might try the Driver I mentioned, can't hurt IF that's the Monitor. 

If I think of anything else which might be *useful*, I'll post back, but for now, I'm about tapped out on this as far as ideas go. Sorry.

Best of luck with this mess.

12.1K Posts

August 27th, 2006 12:00

benmos....Do you have the USB 2.0 controller card on your Gateway ( 2003 model ) system by chance or is it still the 1.1 USB port still.  ??

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR memory
Windows XP Home
17 inch 1703 FP monitor
48x CDRW
16x DVD-R

Message Edited by SR45 on 08-27-200609:27 AM

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 8th, 2006 21:00

Try unplugging all cables from the monitor.
Then hold the power on button to discharge power from the monitor.
Then hook back up to the PC and RE-detect the hub in the monitor.

Does it work then?

7 Posts

May 5th, 2012 09:00

I know this is six years later, but the thread is still meaningful.  I read the suggestions, and here's what works for the 1907FP.  You need to have HOME EDITION, not Professional (which I have).  The usbhub.sys Windows stupidly wants, is only in that edition's Service pack 2.

Skip the dialogue which asks you to search for the software, and ADD HARDWARE instead.  Pick USB controller, then let it search.  It should tell you that it wants usbhub.sys in XP Home Edition service pack 2.  So if you have that edition on a computer backed up (I had it in my Service Pack 3 cab), then search on the backup, find the file (even if hidden, i.e. in caps with an underline for the last letter), and then use browse to navigate to that directory.  XP found the file, and installed just fine.

I hate Windows more than anything else on earth. I lose at least two days a week trying to figure out what went wrong.  Of course the 'help' only tells you what you already knew or could intuit. Without GoBack my computer wouldn't work, once a week.  Windows is the most paranoid OS software ever written, will be switching to Linux for my new machine.  OPEN SOURCE means you keep the customer.  Paranoia means they finally get frustrated trying to GUESS where everything is and how it works, and leave you forever.

7 Posts

May 5th, 2012 09:00

Ooops I forgot to mention, that this installation from the Home Edition usbhub.sys was put into my XP Professional Dell 8400.  So it didn't matter that the program is from Home Edition, svc pack 3's cab.

No Events found!