Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 9th, 2008 21:00

1908FP - Left Side USB ports not working!

Hey there, I just got two great new Dell Ultrasharp 1908FP monitors. The USB ports on the left side are not working on either! The USB ports in the rear work fine (I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into them now!) I've tested all ports with a flash drive and again, only the rear ones work, not the side ones.

I've gone thru the USB reset procedure as outlined in other threads with no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 10th, 2008 15:00

dzeisler,

Test another mouse in the left USB ports.

7 Posts

April 10th, 2008 18:00

I plugged in a mouse and a web cam into the side USB ports and both were recognized immediately. I tried them in the rear as well and again both worked fine. Seems as though my flash drive is the only thing that won't work on the side ports, which of course is the one thing I need to work there! Please explain!

Dave

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 11th, 2008 11:00

dzeisler,

What specific model, size flash drive? It must be USB 2.0.

7 Posts

April 11th, 2008 14:00

It is a Lexar JumpDrive 1GB, model # JDA1GB-00-501. It is USB 2.0 and comes up as such on the rear USB ports on the monitor, as well as USB ports on the computer itself and other computers.

Thanks,

Dave

7 Posts

April 11th, 2008 18:00

it's a very plain-jane USB flash drive.  I'm sure you're familiar with the type...  about the size of your thumb with a USB connector on one end.  Plugs into any USB port.  No security features or encryption or passwords on it.

Hope this helps.  

Dave

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 11th, 2008 18:00

dzeisler,

Does this JumpDrive have an USB adapter or what?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 12th, 2008 03:00

dzeisler,

The side USB ports use the same electronics/circuitry as the bottom ones. I do not know why that USB key is not working on the sides. Try this:

* Power off the PC
* Power off the monitor
* Disconnect all cables from the monitor (USB, power, etc.)
* Disconnect all monitor cables from the PC (USB, VGA, DVI, etc.)
* While disconnected, press and hold the monitor power button down for 3 seconds
* Reconnect the power cord to the monitor
* Reconnect the monitor VGA or DVI cable to the PC video card and the monitor USB uplink cable to a USB port on the rear of the PC
* Power on the monitor if it does not power on by itself
* Power on the PC
* Press the Input Source Select button to choose either VGA or DVI
* Once into windows, open the Device Manager (Press the Windows key and the Pause-Break key)
* Click the Hardware tab
* Click the Device Manager button
* Click the plus by Universal Serial Bus Controllers (notate what is listed)
* Connect the USB Uplink cable from the bottom of the monitor to a USB port on the rear of the PC
* Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should see additional Generic USB Hubs
* This means the monitors Hubs were seen by the operating system
* Connect the USB key to a side USB port. What happens?

7 Posts

April 14th, 2008 17:00

As stated, I had done this before. I tried again and same result: The flash drive is not recognized in the side USB ports yet works everywhere else.

Thanks again for your continued support!

No Events found!