Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2003 21:00

2000FP died.. :(

so i was happily typing away on my lovely 2000fp monitor.. and the screen suddenly blanks out... unfortunately.

it's been working for about 2 months.. don't know what happened.. i got it new too..

well i well through 2 rounds of customer support and humored them.. (all they told me to do was plug the monitor off the power supply)

then tell me that i need a customer number to get it replaced (i got it off a reseller..)

hopefully i can fix this..

the screen itself is not dead from what i can see.. if u unplug it and plug it back in.. the monitor turns back on with the "Dell by pixelworks" logo.. but it just turns black..

if you unplug all the cables from the monitor.. it no longer gives me the RED GREEN BLUE "check signal" logo anymore.. which is where i think the problem is...

how do i do a factory reset (though i doubt it'll help)..

the monitor's power button stays green.. and i can't see anything beyond the dell by pixelworks, which only shows up when plugging it in after unplugging it.. so the screen itself is not dead.. i'm hoping it's not something with the signal detection..

157 Posts

November 28th, 2003 13:00

Are you using your 2000FP in DVI mode or analog mode.  Have you tried hooking the alternate one up (if you were using DVI cable previously, try unhooking that one, and hooking it up via the analog cable.  Don't have both of them hooked up at same time to your vid card.

If you are getting the picture of your Dell logo, the your monitor is working fine.  Have you thought that maybe the problem is with your video card?

There is a way to factory reset.

Push the menu button on your monitor to open the OSD system which will display the main menu features.  (The MENU button is the last button on your monitor on the left side inward toward the Dell logo button on the actual monitor #5.)Then you should be able to highlight the "Factory Reset" button and hit enter.  The overview Dell 2000FP monitor users guide goes into great detail on how to troubleshoot via the controls on the monitor.  I will have to dig mine out and see if I can get any further troubleshooting info to you.  If you are getting the Dell logo screen, then possibly all you need to do is reset the settings. 

Hope this might help.  If you can get the menu button to work and show that screen display, you might only need to factory reset and all will be well. 

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

November 29th, 2003 03:00

troubleshooting dell 2000fp-

do the monitor self test first

un-install your video drivers and re-install themi

try a differenct video card to rule out video card, you can do this also with a good working monitor also

December 1st, 2003 01:00

tried both analog and dvi.

the card is brand new.. 9800 Pro, tested the monitor on 3 computers.. does not work.. cannot do factory reset because there is no image after the dell screen.. which only shows up.. my old monitors work fine with the computer..

i'm thinking it's the procesor inside the monitor that's broken, since it never gets beyond the splash screen that only shows up when plushed in freshly.. (normally it would show a small box saying the source that you're choosing ie dvi, analog, composiet etc.)

cannot access menu no image, black screen.. >.<

i'm pretty computer literate and i think that this monitor's dead... and dell won't warranty it for a 3 month old 2000fp... they can't seem to "find" my information since i bought it off a reseller... whereas the reseller is telling me he's an authorized dealer and i just have to give the invoice to them.. which dell just sends me between technical support and customer care on the phone.. i really dont know how to get them the invoice...

157 Posts

December 1st, 2003 12:00

"the card is brand new.. 9800 Pro, tested the monitor on 3 computers.. does not work.. cannot do factory reset because there is no image after the dell screen.. which only shows up.. my old monitors work fine with the computer.."

I doubt this will help any, but there were numerous problems reported on the Rage3d forum and Short-Media forums of the Catalyst 3.8 drivers forcing ridiculous refresh rates on monitors when they couldn't handle them.  Your 2000FP has to refresh at no higher than 60 Hertz and the 3.8's were initially (when windows booted up or when a 3D game loaded or other graphic intensive program) were trying to force much higher refresh rates.  One poster on the Short-Media forum had a Dell 2000FP and it blew out the first time after he had installed a 9800 Pro with the Catalyst 3.8 drivers.  Coincidence?  I do know that some monitors can handle the forcing of multiple refresh rates better than others.  I don't believe the 2000FP is one that can.  Just my opinion.  I know when I used the Catalyst 3.8 drivers it would, when Windows XP loaded up, cause the display on my monitor to rapidly blank out like it was trying to find the correct refresh rate.  I immediately took those drivers off and went back to 3.7's.

Curious if the other monitors you tried while using the Catalyst drivers (if indeed you are) gave you any of the above display problems (erratic flashing, etc.)

Once again, this may not be the cause of your 2000FP's death, but I find it strange that there were so many reported incidences of refresh rate problems with the Catalyst 3.8 drivers.  Just wondered if this version was the specific driver that you ere using when you installed the new 9800 Pro?  And this really does not help any with getting Dell to warrant your monitor.  They should, I believe the 2000FP has a 3 year warranty attached to it.  Is it possible to get the reseller to send or notify Dell the info on the invoice?

December 2nd, 2003 09:00

me and my reseller spent 3 hrs arguing w/dell today.. until they agreed to do a 10-12 business day wait for the rma process... i dont understand how it takes 10-12 business days to replace a simple monitor!!

not only that.. they kept telling us to find a service tag for the monitor.. when they CLEARLY told us that it only comes with the system

i am using the omega drivers.. set to 60Hz.. never had ANY problems for 2 months.. always used the newest drivers.. never had any weird flickering either.. anyways.. thats it.. im going to call them up again to see if this 10-12 business day thing is right.. coz it just doesnt seem right that it would take that long to replace a monitor

No Events found!