Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

May 4th, 2005 02:00

2405 High Pitched Squeal

Does anybody else have a high pitched squeal on their 2405fpw monitor? I just ordered one, heard a squeal about 2 days after recieving it. Then I recieved a new one, and it has a louder squeal than the first one. It's not a mind-blowing volume, but a subtle and constant squeal. I probably hear it more because I'm alone in a home-office and it's very quiet and pushed into a corner on my desk. I'm debating on returning it for a refund because I'm somewhat sensitive to the squeal. If everyone elses is super quiet, then I may just try my luck at another RMA if they let me. VERY ANNOYING! :-)

12 Posts

September 17th, 2005 18:00

Well I just dont want to drop a thousand on a monitor that
has caps that squeal... And a tech support that is slim to non exsistant.
I use to repair camcorders & VCR's 7 years ago and we used to get the same
RCA models in because of cheap caps that we had to replace .
With all the other post in this forum talking about all the issues with squealing
i'm afraid the cheap components used to make this monitor will not last long enough
to make the purchase worth it... I really want this monitor but the problems that im
reading and getting sent refurbs for new is kind of scary.
Plus I run my 21" trinitron @ 1024 X 768 and it good enough for me
and adding 2 more inches and adding 1366(H)x768(V) would be ok.
I could be wrong though...

Message Edited by capitoleye on 09-17-2005 02:53 PM

107 Posts

HDTV resolution is no way close to this 24" which is 1920x1200. I run ffdshow in my pc and watching DVD movies is like watching HD video. You can buy a tv card if you want to watch tv.

12 Posts

What do you guys think about using a HDTV LCD for computer monitor ???
I have looked at a couple , because I also want to watch TV but it will be my primary
monitor for 3 to 6 hours a day usage.
This is the one I have on pre order but I can always cancel

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-23-LCD-HDTV-Monitor-LNR238W-/sem/rpsm/oid/118721/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

3000:1 contrast ratio
The reviews on Cnet and Circuit City are quit impressive for a TV/Monitor
but some have heard a small sound coming from this unit !!! LOL

Thanks

Message Edited by capitoleye on 09-17-2005 02:31 PM

12 Posts

I have a HD box from comcast so I need the HD capability

41 Posts

September 17th, 2005 21:00

I'd say that the only draw back to this monitor, using it for HDTV at least is that it doesn't have an HDMI input. But if you don't plan on using it with true HDTV components (like upscaling dvd players and the like) then it isn't an issue. I'm sure that the resolution scaler in this monitor is pretty pathetic compared to a dedicated home theater class LCD. Also, like the guy wanting to use an lcd tv as a monitor said, you can't beat LCD TV's contrast ratio's. They're built for dimly lit rooms in people's dens.

So, if you're using it for your primary computer monitor, I'd say it's a better monitor all around.

However, as for the 'cheap parts' problem, most manufacturer's these days use cheap parts. Viewsonic for instance does it all the time.

Out of 500 15" LCD's ordered from them over a 2 year period, only 20 percent of them lasted for more than a year in university computer labs. And no, it's not pokety pokety pokety damage, it's just they use cheap backlights etc... And the warranty from gateway on those was terrible, 1 year backlight excluded lol...

If you're worried about durability, the first thing I look for in an LCD is a warranty. I treat LCD's like Hyundai's. They're not good for more than 3-4 years anyways under heavy use (back light is gonna bite it), so might as well get one with the best darned warranty you can.

If you can live with overnight'd replacements then hey, you've got a winner.

Most LCD companies make you foot the bill back to them, if they'll even consider replacing it, and some also 'repair' the LCD and send it back to you, resulting in weeks without your precious monitor.

So, the support model from Dell, while talking to Indian's is not preferred, the ability to get it replaced in a timely manner when issues crop up is very very nice in dead.

Check out samsung et. al's support policies before you buy their product if you're concerned with reliability.

As we all know, if you don't buy the warranty, you end up needing it ;)

But alas, at the end of the day, my comment about American made goods means:

1. American made electronic components are among the finest in the world.
2. Talking to americans for support is always more helpful than talking to any other race or culture of support people.
3. Unfortunately you can't get all American made component equipment anymore short of super expensive devices that simply don't sell because people don't care if it lasts for 10 years anymore.
4. You have to live with what you can afford. I can't afford to pay US union labor rates for all my goods and still continue to live as comfortably as I do.

So, while I would prefer that most of my goods were still fine American producs (I still buy New Balance instead of Nike because they ARE better), in the end, off-shore labor rates are incredibly enticing. As long as our business schools are graduating a bunch of lousy number crunching heartless HMM... HMMMM's... for managers, we'll see more of the same rediculous outsourcing, and firing of good American workers. Some day, hopefully soon, we'll see a return to quality before quantity, and a country that actually cares about its work force.

17 Posts

September 17th, 2005 21:00

@offtone wrote:
In response to that Samsung monitor: it operates at a mere 1366(H)x768 from what I can tell, which may be high resolution for a television, but for a 23" monitor, it's absolute garbage.

yep.. how can they claim its real HDTV with that res.
youre better to go with the dell and run TV off of that.

from what i understand, the absolute newest technology for LCD are only in a few of the newer models..

as for the 1920x1200 resolution ones, only samsung and dell are currently offering it..
however only the 242MP is current.. the 243T is actually an older LCD inside from like 3+ years ago! all they did was change the outside.. this model use to sell for over 3 grand.

Apple is still using older generation guts on their gear.. the dell 1920x1200 is better than the apple version, while apple charges $1700.

My view is that companies go with a select set of internal electronics in a model and stick with it. as with most stuff... while the LCD technology changes they dont re-design the unit untill they release a newer model number. So you want to go with whats the newest, and not look at simply the size of the monitor and resolution.

However.. in contrast, conerning the dell issue.. What we have here is the latest slick LCD screen (brightness, contrast, refresh etc.), with defective parts other than the LCD screen itself.
So they must have some say in how the unit is built.
It is quite possible that they did use chinese parts (bad tollerence) or simply didnt put enough air flow vents..
I have fans running on the top right part of my dell monitor, and thats where it gets the hottest.. the fans keep it pretty much totally cool.

I'm still asking.. SINCE THIS AN OFFICIAL DELL BOARD!! WHERE IS THE OFFICAL DELL MODERATOR OR REP!?

12 Posts

September 17th, 2005 22:00

Well I have cancelled my Samsung.. I guess it makes sense
to buy a Computer monitor because it will be display PC
content more than TV about 80/20 ratio and this monitor
does have component hook ups for my Comcast HD box.
So I will roll the dice and take my chances. I used the
$899 coupon that I post earlier and my total was $964 shipped.
CANT BELIEVE IM PAYING TAXES BUYING THIS ONLINE !!!
I have been buying parts for over 5 years online and never pay
state taxes, I called the Dell Business # and got a very enthusiastic
American within 3 minutes of the call,and he stated that Georgia
has a Kiosk in a mall somewhere and that’s why I have to pay
sales tax !!!!

Anyway I will let you all know what happens when I get the monitor
1-2 weeks.

And BTW is the fan trick stopping the squealing ??

Message Edited by capitoleye on 09-17-2005 06:54 PM

September 17th, 2005 23:00

HDTV = 1920 AND 1280 pixels wide. There are two HDTV standards, hence they can technically call their lower res screen HDTV :-)

9 Posts

September 18th, 2005 09:00

Yeah, the added tax really deflates the whole coupon code deal.  Note to Dell: relocate everything somewhere else so your customers don't have to pay taxes in certain states.

I also have a 2405fpw on order now.  I don't mind the waiting though, if I get what I paid for the first time.  I have faith in Dell though. Go, Dell, Go!  Fix those monitors! :-)

September 18th, 2005 13:00

Hello everybody,
I was going to buy two of these apparently splendid 2405 monitors, after reading rave reviews in magazines and on various websites, but not now ... not until the 'squealing/whining' issue is satisfactorily resolved, if ever. Too much angst, anger and utter resignation from those people unfortunate enough to be on the merry(?)-go-round of buying, returning, getting another squealer, returning it, getting another squealer ... etc
Please, Dell, you must be watching this forum closely, even though you're not commenting on what must, after all these months, now have a simple explanation, not requiring a rocket scientist to deliver it. How about telling everybody whether there's a fix for all those 2405's running around in circles right now, and will all yet-to-be-built 2405's be sold without this annoying fault?
A cruise through this forum's pages reveals that WE HAVEN"T HEARD FROM ANY MODERATOR since Jesse L. last posted on August 8th (see Page 13)! That's 41 days, and counting.
The Dell technicians must know what's going on. It's time we did, too, even though we're only customers.
This forum is like a class of students sitting around discussing an unsolved problem, while their teacher (the moderator) slips out of the classroom, maybe never to return.
Hello? ... Hello? ... Hello? Is there a moderator, with answers, in the house?

12 Posts

September 18th, 2005 13:00

My scheduled date for delivery is Oct. 5
But like you say... I'm willing to wait if they redesigning
the thing so it doesn't squeal like a pig.

Wish the dell dude would fill us in on what’s going on …..

12 Posts

September 19th, 2005 01:00

anyone know that this monitor was made by BenQ ??
Found this after doing some research ....
Maybe we can email them and find out if they have a fix ... LOL
looks similar http://www.benq.us/Products/LCD/index.cfm?product=435 23" though

FCC Declaration of Conformity

According to 47 CFR, Part 15 of the FCC Rules

* For the following named product :

COLOR MONITOR
(Category Name)

2405FPW / DELL™ - BenQ
(Model No / Brand Name) (Basic Model)

* Manufactured at :
BenQ Corporation
We hereby declare that this device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
Operation is subject to the following two conditions :

1. This device may not cause harmful interference, and
2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

* FCC Rules :
Tested to comply with FCC part 15, class B

* Test site at :
Compliance Engineering Services, Sunnyvale, CA, USA

* Responsible Party for Product Compliance :
BenQ Corporation
157, Shan-Ying Road, Gueishan, Taoyuan 333
Tel +886-3-3598800
Fax +886-3-3599000

* Manufacturer Information :

BenQ Corporation
157, Shan-Ying Road, Gueishan, Taoyuan 333

BenQ Co., Ltd.
New District 169 Zhujiang Rd Suzhou Jiangsu, China

Message Edited by capitoleye on 09-18-2005 09:39 PM

7 Posts

September 19th, 2005 05:00

Hey, I have a dell 2405fpw that has a super high pitched whine too.
What should I do to get this remedied?

Dell support please email me.

9 Posts

September 19th, 2005 08:00

OLED?  Uh oh.  How much would a 24" screen cost though?  The largest OLED now is a about postcard size I think.

Message Edited by Kram Sacul on 09-19-2005 04:39 AM

8 Posts

September 19th, 2005 08:00

Hey, I have a dell 2405fpw that has a super high pitched whine too.
What should I do to get this remedied?

Dell support please email me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cassells... You will have to contact Dell they will not contact you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell has pathetic quality. very hit and miss. You get what you pay for. They are nothing more than a box seller. They don't make one single thing. They just rebox with their name on it. If they cared...Do you think the moderator would come from under his rock. I doubt very much if they "Dell" are going to their supplier and tell them they have a problem. Reality check. They will just come out with a new one around Christmas amd move on.

I count my self lucky, The second one I got works...knock on wood. If you absolutly want a winner go with the Samsung. When OLED displays hit the market place you'll never look at a LCD display.
No Events found!