Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 27th, 2008 23:00

2408WFP A00/A01 owners - First test you should do it (IMHO).

English is not my first language. I apologize in advance.

Seriously though, the Dell 2408WFP doesn't have an "E" letter in front of its name, like E248WFP does. So, and acordding at its price, customers assume that the 2408WFP is the Dell's 24" monitor aimed at medium/high-end market and designed to an advanced/professional usage. Obviously, advanced/professional users really need that their monitors display an image like the image actually is. Let's try a check to see how good the 24008WFP is doing that simple function.

The image below has 6 equal columns, six identical columns (image made by ToastX, from hardforum). You should NOT notice any difference with each others. Please, could you download the image (click on link, then, right click on image "Save image as..." ) and display it at full screen on your 2408WFP A00/A01?

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pvatest1920x1200cv1.jpg

Can you see all columns like they actually are or you can see clear differences of bright/contrast (specially if you compare first and last column)? Well, is this the monitor "designed and built to our highest standards, providing the quality and reliability you expect when you see the Dell logo. Each has been exhaustively tested" Dell claims? That everyone answer himself because Dell's answer to date is the silence.

I hope my english was good enough to be understood.

Regards.

Message Edited by Argonauta on 05-28-2008 01:30 AM

9 Posts

June 8th, 2008 01:00

A00

12 Posts

June 11th, 2008 14:00

Hi,

That's not a new problem. Previously I had 2407WFP rev. A04 and I've noticed that difference of brightness from left to right and I get used with it.

I think it's how lamps are placed or regarding PVA technology since the cells are not moving 90 degress like a TN panel.

31 Posts

June 11th, 2008 21:00

Did your test on my A00 2408WFP, no difference between any of the images.  My monitor has even backlighting and color (which is not to be confused with typical MVA/PVA color shift).

Message Edited by Giolon on 06-11-2008 03:47 PM

5 Posts

June 15th, 2008 23:00

@brett25 wrote:

Just Recieved my 2408 yesterday. Dell shipped it to me overnight for free! Basically I recieved this monitor 3 days after placing my order. Way to go Dell!

Did your test, thanks. I did notice a little bit of brightening in the last image to the left. Nothing that noticible and definitely not a bother for me. After doing some gamma calibration and color, bightness contrast adjustment, what little brighteneing there was is now gone and the entitre image is uniform in brightness. The contrast is insane. Blackest blacks are very dark. its very nice.

I love this monitor, its exactly what I was looking for.

I am too in the market for a 24" monitor since my trusty old CRT had just died on me. However, after reading a lot of bad thing about the 2408, I kind of put off from purchasing this monitor. One bright side, Brett25 seems to be able to make adjustment that will make this monitor looks superb. 

For Brett25, can you share with us what is the value of all the adjustment you made to make this monitor looks good and what software or hardware you used to make all those adjustment you described in your post above?

thanks

9 Posts

June 16th, 2008 00:00

hi.

I wouldplay with brightness contrast untill you get something you like. I brought the brightness down a bunch(10) and letf the contrast at about 50. The other thing to do is to go into custom rgb profile, and bring all the colors evenly down some. I use 93. I didnt use harware, and I played with adobe gamma and I may have adjusted the gamma a little, im not sure.

19 Posts

June 18th, 2008 19:00

Bright leftsided on my 2408WFP.... Which isnt actually my biggest bugbear, the biggest bugbear is the oversharpening of text with nice blueish halos even on 50% on DVI, the lovely drop down to 25% and the picture becomes a blurred mess.
No Events found!