claykin
1 Copper

Re: 2408WFP A01 POWER SAVE AND BLINKING ISSUES, STILL!!

I have 2 x 2408WFP A02, purchased new August 2009.  One exhibits an occasional blink.  Its on the DVI-2 connection on my X1600 video card.  Latest drivers from ATI.  I have not yet tried physically swapping to see if the problem stays with the monitor.  The blinking issue I see occurs occasionally, sometimes I don't see it for a couple days.  This makes it harder to troubleshoot.  Otherwise I like these 2408WFP monitors especially @ the deep discount price I got them for using Dell coupons.  🙂

0 Kudos
kaiweilin
1 Copper

I just order one Latitude E4300, Windows XP Pro, Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and two 2408WFP.  One monitor has this issue and the other don't.  I think this should be a monitor hardware issue.  Change DVI cable will not solve the problem.  Just get the replacement and will post result when I have it tested out.

0 Kudos
jagilbertvt
1 Copper

I purchased 2x 2408WFP's (rev A02), as well in June. I experienced the occasional issue with blinking/power saving mode on my old system w/ a EVGA 7800GT. However, I recently replaced my system (including a new Gigabyte GTX275) and the problem is MUCH worse. Half the once I hit the Windows logon screen one or both of the monitors will go to sleep. I am currently testing with VGA->DVI adapters and have not experienced the issue. I would have to agree that there is something going on with video card/monitor compatibility. Who do we blame, Dell, or video card manufacturer? I may try my old Dell 2001FP to verify that it's a monitor issue (until recently I was suspecting a video card issue).

0 Kudos
lxowle
1 Copper

This is clearly a problem with the displays - I don't think anyone disagrees with this. The powersave problems only occur with these displays, and occur to some extent on most video cards I (and others here) have tested. Other monitors perform flawlessly on the same video cards. I have had to replace my video card with a model that works on these monitors (nvidia 8800GT).

If you can't get your monitor working, I would recommend getting a refund. Dell offers (for some countries) to replace your monitor, but for many people, they get mixed results for this. For example, my monitor, out of the box, was the A02 version - but it has the powersave issues listed here.

0 Kudos
jagilbertvt
1 Copper

Not that I've checked, but it seems unlikely that Dell would issue a refund on these monitors 3 months after I purchased them.

It's unfortunate that the issue only really started becoming noticeable after upgrading my PC. I do really love these monitors other than this one issue. For the time being I might stick with DVI->VGA adapters, as I really don't notice the difference (other than the lack of the power save issue).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bubblenmr
1 Copper

I got a new Dell 2408 WFP last week with A02 out of the box.  The blinking issue remains.    The monitor  blinked numerous times  in the beginning when windows XP was first booted, every time. I already turned off all the windows powersave options.  I am on a dual monitor mode.  My second monitor, Dell 2001FP running on A01, does not have the blinking problem.  My graphic card is Radeon ATI X1650 256MB.  So is it still worth asking for an exchange?

kaiweilin
1 Copper

I just order one Latitude E4300, Windows XP Pro, Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and two 2408WFP.  One monitor has this issue and the other don't.  I think this should be a monitor hardware issue.  Change DVI cable will not solve the problem.  Just get the replacement and will post result when I have it tested out.

I did my testing on four 2408WFP monitor with 2 laptop ( DELL latitude E4300 and E5500, both has Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD).  The laptop is connect thought a DELL E-port docking ststion.  Out of those four monitors, only one has this problem. 

Get it exchanged, before it is too late!

0 Kudos

I can extract alot of data from your post. What I need are the following sent to me in a Private Conversation to put in unified excel document which I will send to Displays engineering:
Dell PC Service Tag number or Retail PC
Monitor Order number
Video card
Video card driver version (Dell or Retail)
Dell or Retail video card
Operating system
How many monitor exchanges have you already received and what were those dispatch numbers?

0 Kudos

All,

I can extract alot of data from your post. What I need are the following sent to me in a Private Conversation to put in unified excel document which I will send to Displays engineering:
Dell PC Service Tag number or Retail PC
Monitor Order number
Video card
Video card driver version (Dell or Retail)
Dell or Retail video card
Operating system
How many monitor exchanges have you already received and what were those dispatch numbers?

0 Kudos
turnerrobert
1 Copper

I purchased a 2408 WFP in June of 2009; it is an A02.  I am using a DVI connection.  I like the monitor very much except for one minor problem similar but not exactly like those discussed in this forum.  My monitor blinks 5 times when coming out of power save.  It does not blink at any other time.  I temporarily replaced it with a Dell S2309W using the same cables and connection  and the problem is not present.  So I am pretty sure the 2408 is the culprit.  This is a fairly minor irritation, but I think such an expensive monitor should be prefect. 

What do you suggest?

Bob