Highlighted
tylerh90
1 Copper

2408WFP Auto-adjustment moves my screen off-center

I recently noticed some problems with the display of my Dell 2408WFP monitor at work. Any time I have lines of color anywhere in a window, they run off to the right  (see this image). To fix this, I attempted to restore my monitor to factory settings using the built-in menu. I chose the "auto adjustment" feature, which ended up "breaking" my display.

The display is now shifted right by about 75 pixels, and is shown as "centered" in the menu (horizontal adjustment is at 50). If I move horizontal adjustment all the way to zero, it will only move left by a couple pixels... maybe 5 or 10 at the most. Using auto adjustment again doesn't work; it will center the screen properly for a second, but then move it back to the right.

This is a serious workflow problem; I can't have 75px of my desktop cut off; I can't see the time in the clock or any of the maximize/close buttons for maximized windows. What can I do to fix this centering issue? I have tried softMCCS already.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

RE: 2408WFP Auto-adjustment moves my screen off-center

2408WFP connected to what computer, desktop or laptop? What specific video card? Other than VGA, what video out ports are available on the video card? Boot the computer into safemode. How does the centering issue look?

0 Kudos
tylerh90
1 Copper

Chris, it's a desktop, Dell Optiplex 7010, with no discrete video card. There are two ports on the motherboard that look like they might be DisplayPort, but I can't tell; I've never used or seen a DisplayPort cable in person.

0 Kudos

The 7010 came in four chassis. It looks like they all have the blue VGA port and two DP DisplayPorts.

* Turn the monitor off
* Disconnect all cables from the monitor including the power cable
* Press the monitor power button in for 15 seconds
* Reconnect the monitor VGA cable and re-test
* Test a different VGA to VGA cable
* Boot into safemode and see if the issue is present
* Last resort, purchase a DP to DP cable and test it

0 Kudos
tylerh90
1 Copper

Thanks Chris, I will try those steps as soon as I can.

0 Kudos