Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2008 17:00

2408WFP Continued

The thread "2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?" has gotten too long to manage. I am locking that thread and any new comments should posted here.

Summery

A new firmware version of the 2408 was released. As the monitors work their way through the supply chain it will become more and more likely that you will receive a version A01 monitor when you order new.

For those getting replacements, all refurbished monitors in service stock should have the new firmware. If you get a new exchange there is still a chance it will be A00 but that should diminish over time.

The new firmware addresses:

1. Input lag.
  2. Not coming out of standby with some video cards.
  3. Changes the Sharpness settings to increments of 10 rather then 25.

Thank you for your patients through all of this, believe me it's been as frustrating for me as it has been for many of you.

144 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 18:00

@DELL-Jimmy P wrote:

The thread "2408WFP rev A01 is out, but what are the changes?" has gotten too long to manage. I am locking that thread and any new comments should posted here.

Summery

A new firmware version of the 2408 was released. As the monitors work their way through the supply chain it will become more and more likely that you will receive a version A01 monitor when you order new.

For those getting replacements, all refurbished monitors in service stock should have the new firmware. If you get a new exchange there is still a chance it will be A00 but that should diminish over time.

The new firmware addresses:

1. Input lag.
  2. Not coming out of standby with some video cards.
  3. Changes the Sharpness settings to increments of 10 rather then 25.

Thank you for your patients through all of this, believe me it's been as frustrating for me as it has been for many of you.

Thank you for your work and your help Jimmy, in all this 2408 Saga (I really think this story deserve now the "Saga" grade).

I just want to add three things to your summary:

(1)- while US, Canadian and even Australian customers seem now to begin to receive new 2408 with the updated firmware, it is not yet the case in Europe. AFAIK, no user have received a 2408 with a new firmware, either refurbished or new.

Yet, the Dell Technical Support was very helpful till now. On the 20th of August, they sent me a new 2408 to replace my old one plagued with many of the original issues (pink tint, etc.) plus of course the input lag and sharpness problems, but unfortunaltely it was still the old firmware.

So I'm at the starting point... And dunno really what to do... :smileyindifferent:

(2)- however, beside the firmware update, the 2408 seems to be continuously improved: the part# 0G286H I received has, by far, a better image quality (colors, panel homogeneity, backlight bleeding, anti-glare coating, etc.) that my old 0CX268. And I'm not the only one to report this. Other users have reported similar findings.

(3)- finally a very personal humble opinion: even if if have a hard time with it, the 2408WFP is a great monitor, with superb colors and deep blacks. Once properly tuned and its few remaining issues solved or worked-around, it's a fantastic 24''...

Well, I just now need to have these issues solved or worked-around...

I'm going to work at it...  

Message Edited by martidi on 09-02-2008 09:56 PM

September 2nd, 2008 18:00

Thanks Jimmy for starting a fresh one.

So to continue from the previous thread. 

X spectre how is the input lag.

Harry

13 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 19:00

I haven't tested the input lag on the new A01.

Also, it is not as bright.  i had a setting of 7 on the A00 and 20 on the A01.  that is a good thing.  the other monitor was intensely bright at low settings too.  the A01 looks great. 

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2008 20:00

I was told that the firmware was cut in everywhere at the same time, but all that means is the factories started shipping them. I don't know how the distribution of these works everywhere in the world. If you are getting them from a third party distributor I imagine they probably bought a large amount and until those are gone they won't order any more.

September 2nd, 2008 20:00

Jimmy, can you explain what's the situation in Europe ? I tried to write to DELL inside contact for Baltic states (Simon Hutchins, I guess he's in UK), but he did not gave me any clear answers. Two main things I'm interested:

1. If, for example, I buy A00 revision monitor and I'm not satisfied with it's input lag or color shift issues, will anyone in Europe update the firmware of that monitor ? My local dealer / authorised service in Lithuania ("DSD" to be exact) said that they do not have neither the technology, nor the information about that particular update. They also said that they tried to contact partners in Ireland, but again, there were no clear information wheather it is possible in the whole Europe to update the monitor.

2. As I understand, monitors with updated firmware are not sold in Europe. Could you confirm that ? If this is true, when will DELL start shipping updated monitors to Europe ?

September 2nd, 2008 21:00

Well, my local distributor received a large shipment in the middle of August and all the monitors were A00. Again, Jimmy, do you know if DELL authorized services in Europe are able (have proper knowledge and hardware) to update 2408WFP firmware ?

144 Posts

September 2nd, 2008 21:00

2. As I understand, monitors with updated firmware are not sold in Europe. Could you confirm that ? If this is true, when will DELL start shipping updated monitors to Europe ?

I've not the same understanding:

- The factory producing 2408 in Europe is in Czeck Republik (CZ).

- According to Dell (Jimmy) this factory should have started producing 2408 with the updated firmware. When ? We don't know, my own guess: probably by the end of july/beginning of august.

- but till now, AFAIK, nobody in Europe has yet received a 2408 from CZ produced after 31st July. It seems there is a lot of "old" 2408 in stock.

In France, customers ordering now are receiving 2408 produced in June... So obviously equiped with the original (00) firmware.

- so it seems there is a lot of stock in Europe and we need to wait before 2408 with the updated firmware begin to ship...

September 2nd, 2008 23:00

all of these issues would be resolved if dell just released the update software and firmware with a warning to end users that if they mess up the flash dell is not responsible. so those that want to do the update themselves take the full risk.

i imagine you just plug in a usb cable from the monitor to your computer and use a simple utility to update the flash chip in the monitor.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 03:00

Just got a 2408WFP replacement.  Thanks Jimmy for your all your help.  It's shipped from Sparks, Nevada, USA.  It was made in August 2008 in Mexico.  It's a Rev A01.  The part number is 0G283H and I can notice a bright dot near to the lower left of the center of the monitor just like some people reported.  First I thought it's a bright pixel, but apparently it's not.  It's much smaller in size and almost impossible to detect from normal viewing distance.  An interesting thing about the monitor is that it says it's Rev A01 on the back of the monitor and on the shipping box.  I opened the service menu and check the usage counter as soon as I unpacked the monitor and I see it's been turned on for only 1 minute, so the monitor should be new.

The input lag has been improved much and the colors look better.  Can't say anything about the problem with brighter left side as I've never noticed it (maybe my vision is not good enough).  Overall, great improvement and I'm not a happy customer.

31 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 05:00

For those that may be interested, I should probably add that the total cost was $AU699.00. Not a bad price really.

31 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 05:00

Hi,

As an Australian customer who only today ordered the 2408WFP, ill keep people posted as to the quality and any problems i encounter, either with the product or with Dell.

I ordered online, so i never had the opertunity to request the A01, so i have every expectation of receiving the A00. But thats ok, Im not discouraged. Ill wait and see. 

I think (and hope) that there would be alot of people out there who have the A00 and are very happy with it. Lets face it, its only when you have a problem that you would post comments on a forum such as this, people rarely go to the trouble when everything is fine. 

Anyhow, ill report objectively on the whole experience for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers.

Crim.

144 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 06:00

@hlimh2 wrote:

The part number is 0G283H and I can notice a bright dot near to the lower left of the center of the monitor just like some people reported.  First I thought it's a bright pixel, but apparently it's not.  It's much smaller in size and almost impossible to detect from normal viewing distance.  An interesting thing about the monitor is that it says it's Rev A01 on the back of the monitor and on the shipping box.

The input lag has been improved much and the colors look better.  Can't say anything about the problem with brighter left side as I've never noticed it (maybe my vision is not good enough).  Overall, great improvement and I'm not a happy customer.

Really intersting... 

About the dot:

you're the third one to notice it, with street dreamer and I.

So it seems to be a "by-built" event occuring quite often. I'm pretty sure it's linked to the new anti-glare coating process, which is INMHO better.

If other people notice it (it seems to be present only on 0G286H/0G283H part#) it would be a good idea to post here.

Also: you're one of the first to report having A01 on the box...

Probably now then number of improvement deserves a version increment.

About your last sentence I guess you meant: "I'm now a happy customer" :smileywink:

September 3rd, 2008 12:00

Input lag is still one of my major concerns.  I will be getting the display for gaming and online racing so lag is important.

So please everyone getting the monitor I would really appreciate comments on lag.

Harry

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 18:00

Me, too.  We need a bit of scientific method here.  Perhaps I am confused, but the post in link shows the CRT lagging behind the LCD.  This is quite confusing.
Clarification???
edit> Thx for clarification!
Message Edited by roognation on 09-03-2008 10:42 AM

144 Posts

September 3rd, 2008 19:00

@roognation wrote:
Me, too.  We need a bit of scientific method here.  Perhaps I am confused, but the post in link shows the CRT lagging behind the LCD.  This is quite confusing.
Clarification???

The figures are not the lag, but milliseconds from a stopwatch (chronometer) displayed simultaneously on the CRT and LCD (using i.e. the clone mode).

As the CRT has no lag, it is the first to display the picture, so the number is higher.

Substracting the number displayed by the LCD at a given moment from the one displayed by the CRT at this same moment give the lag difference between the two monitors.

Hope this help.

No Events found!