Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 24th, 2008 05:00

2408WFP Power save mode problem

Hi, i have a system with the dell 2408wfp on DVI and ati 9600pro graphics card on windows xp pro.

1) once windows is idle and sends the monitor into power save mode, moving the mouse or pressing on the keyboard will not wake the monitor up. only a reboot will fix it. this does not happen when using the vga connector or on the dvi->vga converter.

2) not only that, i have to have the dell powered up before powering up my computer. if i power up the computer 1st and later power on the 2408wfp, there will be no signal to the monitor as well and get stuck in power save mode.

3) lastly, when i tried to isolate the problem further by setting the windows "turn off monitor" setting to never to ensure that the monitor will never power off. then i switched inputs to another input, then immediately switching back to the DVI being used results in the same power save mode issue.

i have tried updating my graphics drivers to the latest ones already. the power save issue is resolved for one instance after the reboot, but comes back after i switch inputs.

what could be the problem here? thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 24th, 2008 15:00

CrymsonArray,

Do you have anotehr PC or video card to check this on?

133 Posts

March 24th, 2008 16:00

thanks for the prompt reply.

is there a solution to fix this?

133 Posts

ok.

how abt situation #3 in my original post? is that related to defaulting to vga?

and i have also tried powering off the monitor when it is not on power save mode and powering it back on again in windows. it doesnt work. still goes back to power save even though the previous mode before powering off was fully on (green led).

so the problem is inherent of older ati video cards (9k series, x600 series?)

Message Edited by CrymsonArray on 03-25-2008 02:02 AM

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

CrymsonArray,

Flashing the video card firmware (which would have to come the manufacturer, not Dell), or a newer video card.

133 Posts

thanks for the reply.

unfortunately i only own this pc with dvi port.

neither do i have another video card with dvi port as well.

does this sound like the other power save mode problems that others have experienced?

i have called dell technical support in my country. they are sending me a replacement monitor to test. i should be able to isolate the problem more from there.

i will post back when i get it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

CrymsonArray,

Sounds like the video card firmware is defaulting to VGA on wake up.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 24th, 2008 18:00

CrymsonArray,

Not sure about #3. So far, it is effecting all of the older cards we have on hand.

133 Posts

March 25th, 2008 07:00

i see. so i shall test it out further when i can get the replacement monitor. seems very weird that even if the video card is sending proper signals to the monitor the monitor does not get it for the situation #3.

March 25th, 2008 12:00

I have a brand new 2408wfp bought from DELL UK and delivered on 20 March 2008. It has the powersave problem detailled here and elsewhere on the internet - once it is in Powersave I have to reboot the PC via the power switch.

The reason for posting is that I have an ATI 9800 pro video card using the DVI input  and was using catalyst 8-1.

Last night I upgraded to the latest Catalyst 8-3 issued on March 5th 2008.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/aiwradeonx-xp

This has solved my problem and I can now get back from Powersave by any keyboard or mouse activity. I suggest others with a similar problem who are using ATI video cards should do the same rather than getting a new monitor.

Tom.

Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:13 AM
Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:18 AM
Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:20 AM

133 Posts

March 26th, 2008 03:00

@tomsurfer wrote:

I have a brand new 2408wfp bought from DELL UK and delivered on 20 March 2008. It has the powersave problem detailled here and elsewhere on the internet - once it is in Powersave I have to reboot the PC via the power switch.

The reason for posting is that I have an ATI 9800 pro video card using the DVI input  and was using catalyst 8-1.

Last night I upgraded to the latest Catalyst 8-3 issued on March 5th 2008.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/aiwradeonx-xp

This has solved my problem and I can now get back from Powersave by any keyboard or mouse activity. I suggest others with a similar problem who are using ATI video cards should do the same rather than getting a new monitor.

Tom.

Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:13 AM
Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:18 AM
Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:20 AM

ya ok i will try updating my driver to 8.3.
i updated to 7.12 and actually it worked (once only), after rebooting after the driver update. once i did an input change to component and back to DVI, guess what, problem comes back again, even though the video card is not sending a power save signal to the monitor.

i will try with the new monitor and with new drivers as well. thanks for the help.

37 Posts

March 26th, 2008 08:00

Sheesh, I have this problem too. If I switch out of DVI and go to VGA, when I switch back to DVI there is no picture and it goes in to power save. I have to reboot the computer to get a picture back 8n DVI.

8 Posts

March 26th, 2008 17:00

I am also having this problem. My card is an ATI 9800 Pro. I have downloaded the latest drivers. They did not fix the problem. However, there are two timing adjustments that can be made in the Catalyst control panel under the DVI section. Unchecking both options has cured the problem. The monitor still goes into power save mode as soon as it is turned on but then comes out of it very quickly.

One thing that is odd is that the monitor won't maintain its zoom settings when turned off. I ran the monitor at a lower resolution and then used the zoom to fill the screen. After switching the monitor off then on again it defaults to zero zoom. Is this normal?

I also get the "New hardware" chimes every time I turn the monitor on and off. Very weird.

Is Dell doing anything about this problem? Have they even acknowledged it as an issue?

Joe

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2008 18:00

Joeperri,

The Zoom thing is normal. Once turned off, it resets itself. Again, this DVI issue is occuring on many older video cards. The culprit is the video card firmware defaulting to VGA rather than DVI, not the monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 26th, 2008 19:00

Joeperri,

List everything plugged into the monitor when this New hardware thing occurs.

8 Posts

March 26th, 2008 19:00

No other problems. I must say, the image is stunning when the monitor works. Mine is clear, quiet, uniform, sharp and without any color cast. It is a very nice monitor.

Joe

No Events found!