Highlighted
CrymsonArray
3 Argentium

Re: 2408WFP Power save mode problem

@tomsurfer wrote:

I have a brand new 2408wfp bought from DELL UK and delivered on 20 March 2008. It has the powersave problem detailled here and elsewhere on the internet - once it is in Powersave I have to reboot the PC via the power switch.

The reason for posting is that I have an ATI 9800 pro video card using the DVI input  and was using catalyst 8-1.

Last night I upgraded to the latest Catalyst 8-3 issued on March 5th 2008.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/aiwradeonx-xp

This has solved my problem and I can now get back from Powersave by any keyboard or mouse activity. I suggest others with a similar problem who are using ATI video cards should do the same rather than getting a new monitor.

Tom.

Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:13 AM
Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:18 AM
Message Edited by tomsurfer on 03-25-2008 08:20 AM

ya ok i will try updating my driver to 8.3.
i updated to 7.12 and actually it worked (once only), after rebooting after the driver update. once i did an input change to component and back to DVI, guess what, problem comes back again, even though the video card is not sending a power save signal to the monitor.

i will try with the new monitor and with new drivers as well. thanks for the help.
Highlighted
mpdesigner
2 Bronze

Sheesh, I have this problem too. If I switch out of DVI and go to VGA, when I switch back to DVI there is no picture and it goes in to power save. I have to reboot the computer to get a picture back 8n DVI.
Highlighted
Joeperri
1 Copper

I am also having this problem. My card is an ATI 9800 Pro. I have downloaded the latest drivers. They did not fix the problem. However, there are two timing adjustments that can be made in the Catalyst control panel under the DVI section. Unchecking both options has cured the problem. The monitor still goes into power save mode as soon as it is turned on but then comes out of it very quickly.

One thing that is odd is that the monitor won't maintain its zoom settings when turned off. I ran the monitor at a lower resolution and then used the zoom to fill the screen. After switching the monitor off then on again it defaults to zero zoom. Is this normal?

I also get the "New hardware" chimes every time I turn the monitor on and off. Very weird.

Is Dell doing anything about this problem? Have they even acknowledged it as an issue?

Joe

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Joeperri,

The Zoom thing is normal. Once turned off, it resets itself. Again, this DVI issue is occuring on many older video cards. The culprit is the video card firmware defaulting to VGA rather than DVI, not the monitor.

Joeperri
1 Copper

Well the zoom thing is kind of inconvenient but I can live with it.

So you are saying the video card is somehow changing its mode when the monitor is turned off or is switched to a different input? I'm not talking about the computer going into power save and then not waking up. I'm talking about being at the desktop then pressing the power button on the front of the monitor to turn it off then immediately turning it back on OR being at the desktop and switching from DVI-1 to any other input, then right back to DVI-1. In both cases the monitor goes straight into power save. The computer is fully active at this point and is outputting a signal. You are saying that somehow the video card is sensing that the monitor has been turned off and is switching modes on its own?

Any idea why I get the "New hardware" chime when turning the monitor on and off? The "New hardware" chime is the sound you hear when you plug in or unplug a flash drive or USB device. 

Joe

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Joeperri,

List everything plugged into the monitor when this New hardware thing occurs.

Highlighted
mpdesigner
2 Bronze

The new hardware chime is likely the USB connection to the USB and card reader hub.

I also have the powersave DVI issue as well as brighter left side of screen issue as well as shadows on all text and icons in VGA mode issue....what else???  I do not have the pink tone issue and no dead pixels.

This looks like a return for refund.

Highlighted
Joeperri
1 Copper

Power, the DVI cable and the USB cable. Nothing else.

It could be the USB hub but it would be very silly of Dell to power down the USB hub when the monitor is powered down. But with the clearly silly idea of not maintaining zoom settings when powered down... who knows.

Joe

Highlighted
mpdesigner
2 Bronze

Unplug the USB and try it.  I bet that is what is causing the new hardware chime.

You expereinceing the other problems I've listed?  I see others saying there is a brightness issue with the left side.  I also get this annoying shadow to the right of everything when using VGA mode.

Highlighted
Joeperri
1 Copper

No other problems. I must say, the image is stunning when the monitor works. Mine is clear, quiet, uniform, sharp and without any color cast. It is a very nice monitor.

Joe