Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 24th, 2008 05:00

2408WFP Power save mode problem

Hi, i have a system with the dell 2408wfp on DVI and ati 9600pro graphics card on windows xp pro.

1) once windows is idle and sends the monitor into power save mode, moving the mouse or pressing on the keyboard will not wake the monitor up. only a reboot will fix it. this does not happen when using the vga connector or on the dvi->vga converter.

2) not only that, i have to have the dell powered up before powering up my computer. if i power up the computer 1st and later power on the 2408wfp, there will be no signal to the monitor as well and get stuck in power save mode.

3) lastly, when i tried to isolate the problem further by setting the windows "turn off monitor" setting to never to ensure that the monitor will never power off. then i switched inputs to another input, then immediately switching back to the DVI being used results in the same power save mode issue.

i have tried updating my graphics drivers to the latest ones already. the power save issue is resolved for one instance after the reboot, but comes back after i switch inputs.

what could be the problem here? thanks

5 Posts

April 19th, 2008 09:00

A quick PS to my earlier posting.

I should ention that just downloading and installing the new driver for my ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card (driver version 8.252) did NOT solve the problem. It was the unchecking of the two boxes in the ATI Catalyst control panel that fixed things. 

April 19th, 2008 10:00

And another quick PS: on my system (with a Radeon X600), unchecking the two DVI-related boxes made no difference. It was the new Radeon drivers (Catalyst 8.3) which cured the problem.

By the way, Catalyst 8.4 has just (16.04.2008) been released by AMD/ATI.

Mike 

1 Message

April 27th, 2008 14:00

I have just recently purchased a 2408 and have the exact problems as mentioned in this thread.  When powering off and back on, the monitor enters power save mode and never wakes up.  Second, when switching sources from DVI to another input, same problem, never wakes out of power save mode.

I have a Thinkpad T42 (Windows XP SP2) with ATI 9600 video chipset.  I have tried the two workarounds without success.   I've disabled the two check marks in the ATI control panel and tried to add a hot key with ATI tray tools to reload the display driver.  Neither works for me.

Before the 2408, I had a Dell 2108 (I think, need to double check model #) which was connected with DVI and never had any of these power save issues. 

Any ideas?

Fred

April 28th, 2008 21:00

Thanks for the detaild problem description and, of course, the solutions.

Since today I am a prowd owner of this 2408WFP.

My PC has a ATI 9200 (AGP) card and showed the same problem.

After installing the Catalyst Control Center the problem was gone even with the DVI-options checked.

So I'm a happy user again!

22 Posts

April 29th, 2008 06:00

My 2408WFP arrived today, same power saving problems with ATI Radeon X600 (came with my Dimension 5100 about 3 years ago). Just installing the latest Catalyst v8.4 solved the problem, didn't have to uncheck anything. The monitor takes quite a bit longer to wake up then my 1905FP ultrasharp, I guess tha's the "old" gfx card I have.

I have to say, I wasn't impressed when I came across this problem and found out the only way to get out of it was to reboot. I normally have about a thousand applications running, so not too impressed at all.

Thanks for all contributions to this thread, got me back up and running pretty quickly 

133 Posts

April 30th, 2008 08:00

@fred888 wrote:

I have just recently purchased a 2408 and have the exact problems as mentioned in this thread.  When powering off and back on, the monitor enters power save mode and never wakes up.  Second, when switching sources from DVI to another input, same problem, never wakes out of power save mode.

I have a Thinkpad T42 (Windows XP SP2) with ATI 9600 video chipset.  I have tried the two workarounds without success.   I've disabled the two check marks in the ATI control panel and tried to add a hot key with ATI tray tools to reload the display driver.  Neither works for me.

Before the 2408, I had a Dell 2108 (I think, need to double check model #) which was connected with DVI and never had any of these power save issues. 

Any ideas?

Fred

sometimes u have to press the hot key combination multiple times. mine takes 3 presses to get it back. oh and did u check the enable hotkey checkbox? hotkeys can be defined but not enabled.

tell us how it goes.

May 8th, 2008 11:00

Is there a solution to this problem with nVidia cards?

I've just bought a 2408wfp and I'm considering returning it because the DVI isn't working with my Quadro. Currently it's connected via VGA through a VGA-DVI adapter.

My specs are:

Boxx Technologies 3d workstation

2 X Quad-core Xeons

8GB RAM

nVidia Quadro FX 1500 (dual DVI)

Windows XP64 SP2

GFX card specs:

Forceware: 162.65

Memory: 256mb

BIOS: 5.71.22.29.11

I still find it strange that this is supposedly a GFX card issue when it's only this Dell monitor in the history of display devices that seems to be affected.

May 8th, 2008 12:00

hehe..yeah it's a beast but I'm a 3d artist so I need something with a bit of oomph!

I did install the Dell drivers from the start but still no joy. I have noticed though that the driver is called "2408WFP (Analogue)"...surely it should be digital, especially as the "D" in DVI stands for digital? I couldn't find another driver on the disk and I can't access the Dell driver section because:

A) I don't have a service tag, it was bought from a reseller

B) Only two monitors are listed on the Dell support page, neither of them are the 2408.

So is there an updated "digital" driver? Perhaps I need to connect via DVI to get the option of installing the digital driver?...that could prove difficult unless I use VNC from another machine.

I just called tech support to find out about any updates and the guy hadn't heard of this problem before...I suggested googling "Dell 2408 DVI" and seeing just how many people have this problem.

22 Posts

I installed latest catalyst drivers a while back for my ATI Radeon x600 to overcome the power save problems (2408wfp wouldn't come out of power save mode). Well, installing those drivers did fix that issue but a few days later I started getting BSODs with driver ati2mtag.sys. Got 3 BSODs in one day, first BSOD for more then 3 years. I promptly unintstalled those catalyst drivers and the ran Driver Cleaner Pro just to make sure it was nice and clean. Then re-intstalled the original driver. Now, this next part may be a co-incidence, but I then installed the monitor driver for the 2408wfp (from Dell web site) and my 2408 now comes out of power save mode. This is with the old (original driver) that came with the machine (Dimension 5100) 3 years ago.

20 Posts

I have the same 2408WFP issue on several ThinkPads with ATI chips and have tried both checking/uhchecking the two DVI driver options, and using the reload hotkey multiple times with no or very limited sucess.  I have also used Mobility Modder to load the current AMD drivers, but that did not successfully fix the DVI issue.

The ThinkPads are

T42 with ATI Radeon 9600

T42p with ATI Fire GL T2

T43 with ATI Radeon X300

All of these systems work fine with the DVIs on an UltraSharp 2407WFP, as well as 2005FP, 2007FP, 1905FP, and 1704FP.

The only thing that works for me, besides rebooting, is to momentarilly open and close the laptop lid.  This works perfectly on the T42p, but is hit and miss on the T43.  I don't spend enough quality time with the straight T42s to know about them.  I just leave the laptop open in the dock and press the lid switch for a couple of seconds and it comes to life.

I talked to Dell Gold Support, and they would send me a new monitor, but it's the same revision as the bunch that I have problems with now.  I hope they will make a fix for this.

I'm sharing my desk monitor with the T42p and a Dell M4300, but have no problem with it's NVIDIA FX-360M.  The trouble is I still really need to use the T42p too.

JJJ

22 Posts

biliousfrog,

Wow, 2 x quad core xeons, I have xeon 3110 and thought I was doing well. Anyway, I know this sounds naive but as per above try installing the monitor driver for the 2408 rather then relying on the generic plug and play driver or whatever it's called.

22 Posts

May 8th, 2008 21:00

biliousfrog,

So you can't get DVI to work at all, or do you just have the power save problem. In my research I don't remember coming across DVI not working at all, although I didn't specifically look for that. I have 2 older Geforce cards in another machine, 7600GT and 7300LE (dua PCIe slots) with latest forceware drivers 169.21. I had the power save problem on this machine with 2408 as well. I installed monitor drivers there as well, but I'm not sure if that's what fixed the problem as I had other problems with ultramon (multi monitor software), and I was playing around with that too. You know how somtimes you try anything to get it working and all of a sudden it starts to work. I try to do this in a controlled manner but doesn't always work out that way.

Get the 2408 monitor drivers from here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/en/monitor_download?c=us&l=en&s=gen

When you are connected via DVI it will give you the option to install the digital version of the driver.

22 Posts

May 9th, 2008 03:00

SoundDude,

Did you install the 2408 monitor driver. I've been speaking with the monitor support guys in Penang on some other issues and I ran this by them. Maybe he was just agreeing with me but I was told that the monitor driver had to be installed for the 2408. I have a 2408 running on an ATI radeon x600 with no power save problems and I'm running the original ATI driver which is > 3 years old. At least it's worth a try.

May 9th, 2008 07:00

I was having the power save problem but, just like you said, it started working and I don't know why. I guess that it's something to do with the monitor driver being loaded - you can't install it when connected via DVI because the screen doesn't wake up so you can't see what you're doing, but if you're connected via VGA the digital drivers don't get installed...but somehow I got it working and it's much nicer than through VGA.

20 Posts

May 9th, 2008 11:00

dclayw,

Yes, I installed the monitor "driver".  Monitor "drivers" don't really do very much other than giving windows the monitor's real name, and some color information.

The thing about monitor "drivers" is that they are only supposed to contain the same information (i.e. available resolutions, refressh rates etc) that is already available via EDID from the monitor with the default Plug and Play driver.  Additionally the color matching ICM files are usually provided with the drivers, but they only affect the color tone of the monitor.

Unless the monitor reports invalid information, the driver should not fix a problem like this.

Message Edited by SoundDude1 on 05-09-2008 07:45 AM
No Events found!