Will not wakeup using DVI and the following video cards -
Ati 9600 Pro
Ati X800 Pro
Ati X600
Ati 9800 Pro
Ati X300SE
GeForce 8800 GTS

Workaround 1
There are two timing adjustments that can be made in the Catalyst control panel under the DVI section. Unchecking both options has cured the problem. The monitor still goes into power save mode as soon as it is turned on but then comes out of it very quickly.

Workaround 2
1. Install ATI Tray Tools (http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/)
2. Menu- Hot Keys- Enable Hot Keys (make sure it is checked)
3. Menu- Hot Keys- Customize
4. Add new Hot Key
5. Miscellaneous- Reload display driver
6. Assign a Hot Key (I used ALT + T)- Ok
Now every time your monitor goes into "power save mode" you can revive it by pressing ALT + T (you can use any keys you want of course). This also works if you have completely powered off your 2408WFP with the button on the monitor.
Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 04-03-2008 07:19 AM

thanks ChrisM for providing the list of cards incompatible. i will go check out the workaround and what it does. regarding workaround 1, the options are the "reduce frequency on high resolution displays" and "alternate dvi frequency" right? i've tried all possible combinations of the options and do not work for 9600pro on my machine.

thanks 
0 Kudos
CrymsonArray
3 Argentium

Re: 2408WFP Power save mode problem

sorry for the long absence. i have tested the workaround using ati tray tools. it works! thanks alot to PayBas for the solution. anyway i have to press the shortcut key 3 times before the monitor wakes up. pressing once or twice the shortcut doesnt work. but oh well it works.
0 Kudos
Mike Gatehouse
1 Copper

I have a Dimension 9150 with ATI Radeon X600 card, running Windows XP Media Centre SP2. Had exactly the power-save problems described by others. Following DELL-ChrisM's post I was expecting to have to change my graphics card. As a last resort I downloaded from AMD/ATI the latest catalyst drivers (Catalyst v8.3, drivers v6.14.10...) and to my surprise this seems to have solved the problem: I can now connect with DVI, turn on and off the monitor and use Windows power-saving to blank the screen after 15 minutes. In all cases so far the signal is resumed and the monitor re-awakens as it should.

Amazing!

Mike 

0 Kudos
CrymsonArray
3 Argentium

@Mike Gatehouse wrote:

I have a Dimension 9150 with ATI Radeon X600 card, running Windows XP Media Centre SP2. Had exactly the power-save problems described by others. Following DELL-ChrisM's post I was expecting to have to change my graphics card. As a last resort I downloaded from AMD/ATI the latest catalyst drivers (Catalyst v8.3, drivers v6.14.10...) and to my surprise this seems to have solved the problem: I can now connect with DVI, turn on and off the monitor and use Windows power-saving to blank the screen after 15 minutes. In all cases so far the signal is resumed and the monitor re-awakens as it should.

Amazing!

Mike 

thats 2 users that upgraded to cat 8.3 and had their power save issues solved. impressive. will try it out if i have the time...
0 Kudos
PayBas
1 Copper

Having something you paid for working like it should is not amazing Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
LesMoo
1 Copper

I too have had the dreaded power save problem with my new 2408WFP - or, to be more correct now that I have read this thread, with the graphics card driving my new 2408WFP.

My card is an ATI Radeon 9250 (it was in my Acer machine when I bought it). The worst effect it had on me was to throw the monitor into power save mode during boot up (it seems there is a relatively short period during Windows XP boot when there is no signal to the monitor). On about one boot out of five the monitor went into power save mode and become impossible to get out of it again. Also if the monitor was turned off and on again, etc as mentioned by others.

Following the advice of ChrisM above, I downloaded and installed Catalyst from the ATI site (the route to follow is to find the download for the driver for your graphics card, and the download will be Catalyst, including the driver).

I removed the two ticks under DVI settings at the bottom of the Digital Panel Properties page and everything now seems to work.

And one final word - I love the monitor! 

Thanks ChrisM. 

0 Kudos
LesMoo
1 Copper

A quick PS to my earlier posting.

I should ention that just downloading and installing the new driver for my ATI Radeon 9250 graphics card (driver version 8.252) did NOT solve the problem. It was the unchecking of the two boxes in the ATI Catalyst control panel that fixed things. 

0 Kudos
Mike Gatehouse
1 Copper

And another quick PS: on my system (with a Radeon X600), unchecking the two DVI-related boxes made no difference. It was the new Radeon drivers (Catalyst 8.3) which cured the problem.

By the way, Catalyst 8.4 has just (16.04.2008) been released by AMD/ATI.

Mike 

0 Kudos
fred888
1 Copper

I have just recently purchased a 2408 and have the exact problems as mentioned in this thread.  When powering off and back on, the monitor enters power save mode and never wakes up.  Second, when switching sources from DVI to another input, same problem, never wakes out of power save mode.

I have a Thinkpad T42 (Windows XP SP2) with ATI 9600 video chipset.  I have tried the two workarounds without success.   I've disabled the two check marks in the ATI control panel and tried to add a hot key with ATI tray tools to reload the display driver.  Neither works for me.

Before the 2408, I had a Dell 2108 (I think, need to double check model #) which was connected with DVI and never had any of these power save issues. 

Any ideas?

Fred

0 Kudos
Great Gershwin
1 Copper

Thanks for the detaild problem description and, of course, the solutions.

Since today I am a prowd owner of this 2408WFP.

My PC has a ATI 9200 (AGP) card and showed the same problem.

After installing the Catalyst Control Center the problem was gone even with the DVI-options checked.

So I'm a happy user again!

0 Kudos