dclayw
2 Bronze

Re: 2408WFP Power save mode problem

I had power saving problems with my 2408WFP and my two E248WFPs. I have these three 24" monitors in a triple monitor setup. Once I installed the Dell monitor drivers I never saw the power save problem again. Now maybe that was a co-incidence as I don't believe monitor drivers have anything to with power saving, but who knows. The 2408 does go into power saving mode briefly just before Windows logo comes up but always comes out by itself.

0 Kudos
Andre66
2 Bronze

dclayw,

>The 2408 does go into power saving mode briefly just before Windows logo comes up but always comes out >by itself.

Got exactly the same problem on both NVIDIA and ATI cards. However the 2407wfp I have got same effect either.

Back tothe YouTube video: in my case it doesnt look that bad as on the video. It looks more like an distortion from another signal source. My first suspicius was to check the cabling and drivers of the graphics card. None of them seemed to be that problem.

0 Kudos
cswake
1 Copper

I have an A00 with a Radeon 3450 and am experiencing a similar issue under DVI or HDMI. I have CCC 8.7 installed... could someone post a screenshot of what Chris was talking about here:

@DELL-Chris_M wrote:
Summary so far -

Workaround 1
There are two timing adjustments that can be made in the Catalyst control panel under the DVI section. Unchecking both options has cured the problem. The monitor still goes into power save mode as soon as it is turned on but then comes out of it very quickly.
Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 04-03-2008 07:19 AM

0 Kudos
yukmeez
1 Copper

Are people still having this problem?

I am having the same problem with my EVGA 8800GT.  I was wondering what are some of the best permanent options to fix this. A lot of times at night I like to keep my computer on for running certain batches/video editing. I either have to turn the actual power of the monitor off or set the computer to turn off the monitor, and at this point, both of them make me have the same power save mode problem.

Thanks, btw, are new firmware out yet?

0 Kudos
LesMoo
1 Copper

Reply to yukmeez ...

Yes, the problem still exists. Nothing seems to solve it completely. I tried the Catalyst thing, which seemed to help at first, but in the long run didn't work (in the end I had to reformat the hard disk and reinstall everything to get rid of Catalyst). I downloaded the latest Dell screen drivers and installed both the VGA and the DVI drivers. That helped quite a lot, but it still occasionally won't recover from power save.

My latest solution is to cable both VGA and DVI into the screen. I use DVI. When it won't come out of power save, I switch to VGA, then power off the screen, then power it back on and switch back to DVI as it's coming back on. That seems to work and it sure beats having to power off the PC.

I don't know about other countries, but the new firmware is not yet available in Australia.

0 Kudos
Yuelao
1 Copper

Hi, could someone please help,

My 2408 arrived today and it does not seem to work with my laptop, it only comes up with the message "entering power save" and "there is no signal coming from your computer. press any key on your keybord or mouse to wake it or press the input button on your display to switch to another source". But, my laptop shows it as Dell 2408WFP in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and when I do select dualview I can actually drag something "across the monitor" but nothing shows.

Alienware m15x

Operating system: Vista Home

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX

It's connected via HDMI as it is the only connection for an external monitor from my laptop.

I plugged my old laptop via VGA and the monitor works fine.

I have tried my PS3 via HDMI and it works fine.

I have tried different HDMI leads, and HDMI>DVI, still no change.

I've updated the graphics drivers to the latest.

Does it require drivrs to get this thing working?

In device manager, the monitors (my laptop and 2408) both appears as Generic PnP Monitor, is that suppose to be correct?

much thanks!

0 Kudos
CrymsonArray
3 Argentium

Yuelao,

u didnt mention switching inputs on the monitor to HDMI. i suppose you did remember to do that when u connect via HDMI right?

try it and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
EvilShrike
1 Copper

Hello.

I had the power save mode problem with my new HD4850.

I've had it with my previous card Radeon X800XL. Then I've changed it recently to 4850. And the story's repeated. 😞

But after I'v installed the last ati drivers I'm able to switch on monitor (after it was switched off). But the process of switching on is veeery long. The monitor shows my desktop shortly then turns off and wait several second showing only mouse's pointer. And only after a couple of blinking it shows the desktop.

After that Vista often tell me something like 'your color scheme was switched to Basic. But actualy current theme doens't change.

I've got A00 revision of cause. And no chance to change as I live in  Russia where there's no Dell.

0 Kudos
CrymsonArray
3 Argentium

@EvilShrike wrote:

Hello.

I had the power save mode problem with my new HD4850.

I've had it with my previous card Radeon X800XL. Then I've changed it recently to 4850. And the story's repeated. 😞

But after I'v installed the last ati drivers I'm able to switch on monitor (after it was switched off). But the process of switching on is veeery long. The monitor shows my desktop shortly then turns off and wait several second showing only mouse's pointer. And only after a couple of blinking it shows the desktop.

After that Vista often tell me something like 'your color scheme was switched to Basic. But actualy current theme doens't change.

I've got A00 revision of cause. And no chance to change as I live in  Russia where there's no Dell.

Just to add on, as the original poster. I recently bought a new PC and chose a HD4870. Finally, I do not have this problem anymore. Confirmed it is due to the older 9600pro DVI spec or version stated by someone in this thread.

But i'm not too sure why its not working for your HD4850....

0 Kudos
Sanfam
1 Copper

I'm jumping in here to add another case to the Monitor's power save issues.

My configuration:

Intel platform

Gigabyte EP35-DS3P rev 2.1

Q6600

2gb DDR2 800

MSI NX8800GT 512mb (Nvidia G92-based 8800GT)

Windows XP with latest Audio, Network, and Video drivers (as of 10/8/2008)

Monitor 1: Samsung 930b (DVI)

Monitor 2: Dell 2408WFP A01 (DVI)

Observations:

The power-save issue is the most prominent immediate issue. With the monitor powered off, the system does not recognize it in any form and simply will not add it to the list of devices.  The only means by which to have it be detected by the system is to turn it on within seconds of of turning the computer itself on.  The PC will then detect it and offer it as Display 2 for use as a desktop extension.  

Yesterday, I camehome to find my PC stuck in a reboot loop.  For some reason, the display driver was throwing a BSOD and had cycled the system for nearly three hours every two minutes.  Unpluging the monitor removed the blue screen and allowed it to boot normally.  Plugging it back in caused the problem to re-appear.  Removing and reinstalling the video drivers fixed this. 

Any time the display fails to power up again, it is no longer detected by the system.  In all of these cases, my computer registers only one display (the Samsung) and shifts my desktop and all windows over to it.  It's as if the 2408WFP were not even there.  This seems to be the strongest evidence of some larger problem with the display and the system not communicating properly.  In one instance, the display was physically powered off.  In another, it was powered on, but in power save mode.   The symptom was identical either case.

I have heard that I should fall back on to VGA, and that this should work fine.  This is not an adequate solution.  My purchase was aimed to provide me with a more adequately sized screen for graphic design use and movie watching.  VGA will not provide me with adequately high signal quality and is a bit of a punch in the face when using such a high-quality screen.  I have yet to call tech support, but that's only due to not having the time in one spot at this point.  

On to solutions...

Is there any way to "translate" the workaround the ATI cards into a solution for nVidia (with the nVidia Control Panel) users?  We have full control over the signal at any given resolution through manual adjustment of fine details, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  The post earlier mentioned reducing the signal frequency for compatibility and some individuals did respond favorably to this.  At the moment, I am not willing to consider purchasing another video card just to offer compatibility for my monitor.

Any thoughts?  Feel free to request further details about my observations and/or configuration as necessary.

0 Kudos