Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2009 12:00

2408WFP blackouts out briefly

Had an 2408wfp, firmware A01, for about 3 weeks now. Every once in awhile it blacks out for a second before the picture comes back. When it comes back up I get the little DVI icon in the upper left of the screen as if the signal was briefly interrupted. It doesn't happen often, once every few days, but this morning it did it 4 times in about 10 seconds.

I have reconnected the DVI cable, and after this mornings problems I switched to the other DVI port on my video card. Since I can't recreate the problem I don't know if that fixed it or not. Since it doesn't happen often, troublshooting is very difficult.

This problem did not happen on my old monitor. I do not have another DVI cable to try. I am running Vista 32, monitor hooked up to DVI. Latest drivers installed on my EVGA 8800GTS (happened with older drivers too), and using Dells driver for the 2408wfp. I don't think the video card is the problem because Vista gives an error message if the video card isnt sending a signal.

Thank you for any help.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

February 8th, 2009 12:00

I would contact Dell Support about this.

49 Posts

February 8th, 2009 16:00

I would contact Dell, but I don't think this is a hardware problem. I found a thread on these forums about a different Dell monitor having the same issue but hooked up to an ATI video card. They solved the issue with a setting in the ATI control panel. EVGA (the maker of my Nvidia video card) even has a solution for this problem in their knowledge base and think it is a timing issue. Their fix (creating a custom resolution and changing one setting) is failing though (the test it runs fails) so I can't even try that.

I would hate to send back a monitor without any dead pixels to get a refurb with dead pixels and still have the same problem. I really believe after some reading that it is a high resolution LCD/video card/driver issue.

49 Posts

February 11th, 2009 15:00

New issue with this monitor. Went to wake it from sleep mode, and it wouldn't wake up. Stayed in Sleep Mode. Rebooted without turning anything off, and as soon as it got to the Vista password screen it went into sleep mode. It kept trying to come out of it, but would immediately enter right back into sleep mode. Turning off the monitor and then turning it back on fixed it.

Still getting the idea that this is a compatiability problem with my video card problem from other posts here. Wish someone from Dell would comment here without having to call India. I am sure Dell support will tell me to send it back for a new one. Then I will probably end up with a refurb with dead pixels and still have the same issues.

370 Posts

February 13th, 2009 18:00

Hook the monitor up to another computer to see if the problems occur.  If not, it's not the monitor.  If they do, definitely get it back to Dell for a replacement (the 2408 is a beautiful monitor--get one that works).

Don't expect Dell reps to chime in (although they sometimes do); this is a USER forum.

197 Posts

February 13th, 2009 21:00

I have the same problem as you.  Started right away.  I too have a monitor with no dead pixels and do not want to exchange it.  I have a GForce 7950GT card.  I notice it would do it if I go and change inputs to s-video and then change it back to DVI.  I notice that it would also sometimes do it if I turn off the monitor and turn it back on.  Also when I restart the computer or change resolutions it would do it sometimes.  After I did that it blinked twice but not right away after about 10 minutes.  Otherwise it is fine as I don't put my computer into standby mode.

I also have a problem where I would turn on the computer and sometimes it would go into powersave mode while windows is loading.  I have to turn off and then turn the monitor back on.

197 Posts

February 27th, 2009 11:00

It has been getting worse lately.  Now when I first turn on the computer and use the monitor it will sometimes blank out.  It did it four times already randomly while I was in the sounds options.  It use to just do it if I went and changed resolutions.  It even did it the other day twice while playing World of Warcraft.  I really don't want to send this monitor back and end up with a refurbished one which could be worse.  I have not tried my older DVI cable from my 2007FP monitor yet.

8 Posts

March 4th, 2009 06:00

Me too. Same problem with 13 days old 2209wa monitor.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19260431/19441221.aspx#19441221

197 Posts

April 22nd, 2009 10:00

I put in a new 9800 GT video card yesterday and when I turned it on today it blinked about 4 times before stopping.  Once windows was loaded it did it many times so I am thinking that it is not the video card but either the DVI cable or the monitor.  A01 revision is a joke because it clames it helps with power modes.  Of couse when I do a search on google I get a lot of canned responses with no one else having this problem and linking back to this thread.  I am thinking about getting a replacement but it could end up being worse with dead pixels.  Otherwise I can go days without it blinking but if I do anything like change resolutions or reboot it can blink a few times once windows is loaded for about 15 to 30 minutes and then it is fine.

var domain = "en.community.dell.com" var getGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].getItem(key); } var setGS = function (key, val) { return globalStorage[domain].setItem(key, val); } var delGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].removeItem(key); }

4 Posts

April 24th, 2009 10:00

I had similar blacking out occuring on version A01 of this monitor.  I don't have the monitor anymore, but the problem might have been (more) evident when using a NON dual-link DVI port.  My video card was a Geforce 6800 Ultra OC, with only one dual-link port.  I used a free application called PowerStrip to reduce my monitor's refresh rate, and the blackouts would stop for a while.  Blacking out also increased when certain windows were maximized on screen, especially Adobe Reader.  These issues suggest possible bandwith bottlenecks in the video card or incompatible DVI implementations in either the video card or monitor.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2009 22:00

I got a similar issue with my 2709w (ATI X1400), but it only happens when the monitor came back from standby, I suspect this is a software problem, but don't have time to investigate it yet, right now I just keep the monitor running without standby.

197 Posts

May 10th, 2009 10:00

The only thing I can think of tryying is a dual link DVI cable.  It can go days without blinking and then just do it a couple of times when windows is first loaded.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 10th, 2009 12:00

All,

We changed the monitor delay setting from 150ms to 250ms on the A01. I do not know what else we can do. This issue does not happen on all video cards and is intermitant. I think it is a combination of the monitor, video card, and video card driver. Has anyone figured out how to get into the monitor factory mode? There might be something in there we can try.

197 Posts

May 15th, 2009 13:00

Well that does not make a bit of a difference.  I used the computer everyday this week and it has been fine.  Had it on for over a hour today and it just blinked for a second and now it is fine.  All I read is people with ATI cards having this problem but I tried two Nvidia cards.  First a 7950GT and now a new 9800GT with the most up to date drivers and it still does it.  I does it rarely but except for this annoyance it is a great monitor.

May 24th, 2009 14:00

I can only speak for my personal experience, but the issue does seem to be a combination of hardware and software. I've done a lot of experimentation - here's what I found with my 2408 (A01), all via the DVI1 connector. 1. Mac Mini (PPC model w/ ATI video, OS X 10.5.7) - occasionally blinks, but it comes out of sleep. (Blinking stops if I run video at 1600x1200 w/ no scaling in the display.) 2. PC with an old ATI 9550 AGP board, it blinks if I run the default drivers that install with Windows. If I upgrade the drivers to the last ones ATI put out for the 9550 (Catalyst 9.3), it seems the blinking stops. But the real issue with that board remains - if the board/monitor go to sleep, it won't wake up, and nothing short of a hard reboot fixes the issue. 3. Old PC with a really old ATI 7500 AGP board, Window's stock drivers - didn't see blinking(I didn't test long, though), but as with the 9550, the 2408 won't come out of sleep with this board. 4. PC with a new Asus AH3650 (an ATI-based AGP card with no fan, because I really prefer a quiet PC), it comes out of sleep perfectly, but it blinks with the latest ATI AGP drivers (Catalyst 9.4). ONLY if I go back to the older drivers that came with the board will it stop blinking (Catalyst 8.5). 5. Lenovo Thinkpad with Nvidia Quadro 140M graphics - no blinking or sleep issues. (This is the first one I tried that actually worked, and made me think maybe the display wasn't broken. It's what got me to buy the Asus board for my regular PC almost as an experiment.) All of these boards drive 1920x1200 fine (except for the occasional blinking). None of these cards or drivers exhibit these blinking/sleep issues with other monitors that I tested, but I did manage to find ONE combination of board and driver that seems to work (the Asus AH3650 with stock Asus drivers). So is the issue Dell's, or are the other manufacturers to blame? I have my opinion... BTW, Dell sent me a replacement 2408 under warranty. The replacement did the same thing (blink. not come out of sleep), plus it had a couple dead pixels. I sent it back, and kept my original unit - at least the original display has no pixel defects. Not sure if this note helps - it's intended to let you know that this monitor can work, but unfortunately it may take you some time, work and $ to get there.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2009 10:00

I bought this monitor recently, and was experiencing the same problem. I am running a ATI HD Radeon 4890 with the latest Catalyst Version 2009.0317.2131.36802 (so I naturally thought it would look great on this monitor), but the flickering was driving me crazy. I made a small change from a refresh of 59 Hertz (Winows 7 default) to 60 Hertz, and the flickering stopped. The other strange thing is that if I go back to the screen where refresh rates are changed, it is back at 59 Hertz, but no flickering so far.

No Events found!