Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2009 12:00

2408WFP blackouts out briefly

Had an 2408wfp, firmware A01, for about 3 weeks now. Every once in awhile it blacks out for a second before the picture comes back. When it comes back up I get the little DVI icon in the upper left of the screen as if the signal was briefly interrupted. It doesn't happen often, once every few days, but this morning it did it 4 times in about 10 seconds.

I have reconnected the DVI cable, and after this mornings problems I switched to the other DVI port on my video card. Since I can't recreate the problem I don't know if that fixed it or not. Since it doesn't happen often, troublshooting is very difficult.

This problem did not happen on my old monitor. I do not have another DVI cable to try. I am running Vista 32, monitor hooked up to DVI. Latest drivers installed on my EVGA 8800GTS (happened with older drivers too), and using Dells driver for the 2408wfp. I don't think the video card is the problem because Vista gives an error message if the video card isnt sending a signal.

Thank you for any help.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 16:00

Hi Chris,

My video card is a retail Saphhire HD4890.  Only my monitor is Dell.

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 00:00

I've been having this very problem ever since I bought it. It blinked when I had Gigabyte 8600 and now with a Gigabyte 4890. The blinks are very random and gets very annoying when surfing the net or playing games. I'm using XP 64 bit. Anyone if there's gonna be fix soon? I've emailed Gigabyte support with this information regarding the Saphire BIOS update but they just said it was the card and just to RMA it. Not happy Jan! Clackers. PS and I should say I'm using DVI and have a RA01 Version monitor

2 Posts

July 4th, 2009 12:00

I have the same problem although it happens very rarely. I think it happens when the monitor is turned off or comes back from power save mode. I will have to watch and keep track of when it happens. I am using Vista SP2 with an GeForce 7800 GT Driver version 8.15.11.8618

Dell 2709W

DIV cable supplied with monitor

Firmware A02

Manf Date June 2009 Mexico.

July 4th, 2009 14:00

So setting the monitor to run at 60Hz has not fixed the issue.
I have noticed that it almost always happens when I get up from or sit down at my desk.
I thought it was the wires, but I double checked them and it does not appear to be a bad connection.
A colleague suggested it might be EMI that is causing the LCD to lose sync.
It is a really weird issue...

July 7th, 2009 09:00

Wanted to report back on this issue:  Contacted Sapphire's tech support and received an updated BIOS for my HD 4890, flashed and haven't seen any blackouts/blinks since.  Thanks to bwesl and others over at tomshardware forums for posting this fix (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263520-33-4890-problem-plese-help).

July 15th, 2009 07:00

I have purchased 3 of this monitor 2408WFP all running on Dell Latitude E6500 with Nvidia NVS160M video on them.  All of them are experiencing black out issues as described on DVI.  Running Windows XP Pro with latest laptop bios and video drivers.  Monitors are A02 using stock DVI cable, have also tried other spare DVI cables.

Dell please help me fix this issue.

Thanks,

Peter

July 15th, 2009 08:00

Unfortunately no, all of our users have laptop computers.  None of them have experienced any issues with the 20" or 22" LCD Ultrasharp panels from Dell using DVI, only the 2408WFP have this problem for us.

We are currently using VGA cable and it is working but we want to use DVI if possible.  I was hoping to get some advice or direction before going through the trouble of returning all 3 LCDs. 

Thanks,

Peter

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 15th, 2009 08:00

Do you have a desktop PC to test these on?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 17th, 2009 00:00

Are the users using XP power management or are they just losing the signal while the PC is in use?

July 17th, 2009 06:00

I can answer that for me there is no power management involved--- sometimes it will be in the middle of typing an email that it will black out for a second or two.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 17th, 2009 16:00

The Ati users have success by going back to an older video card driver (9.3 to 8.6). have you tried an older nvidia driver?

2 Posts

July 19th, 2009 01:00

I have two 2408wfp rev a01 displays on an HP xw4600 (video is Nvidia Quadro FX570) running Linux. One of them is manifesting the same problems I'm seeing described here: display blacks out every so often for 1-2 seconds and then comes back and the little DVI icons comes up like the cable had been unplugged for a second. I've also seen problems when waking these displays up from sleep state: DVI icon comes up for a second but then shows 'entering power save' banner and goes back to sleep. It seems that I can get around this by powercycling the display in question.

I contacted Dell about this problem earlier this year and received two refurbished 2408wfps that had the same problems. After that I returned the refurbs and figured it was a problem with my system: I replaced the video card, flashed the mobo firmware, replaced the DVI cables, changed from Ubuntu 9.04 to Fedora 11, tried various video drivers (free x.org drivers and binary drivers from Nvidia), all to no avail. In light of the other reports on this thread from people running Windows on various different PC systems I'm thinking this is a problem with these displays.

Right now this problem is just annoying and unbecoming for a high-end display product but I'm really worried that at some point it will blink and not come back. Very much appreciate any help or fixes to be had.

Thanks,

Deke Clinger

San Diego, CA

3 Posts

July 19th, 2009 08:00

Took a gamble and flashed my Gigabyte HD4890 with the Sapphire HD4890 BIOS floating around. Not had a blink since! Would be great to know what Sapphire changed in the BIOS, so everyone could get it fixed.

19 Posts

July 19th, 2009 13:00

I have the same issue with my 2709W (A02). Every minute or so, sometimes more often, the display goes black, shows the DVI jack symbol, comes back. The Video card is an HIS ATI 4890 (see below). I also own a Samsung 940BW and a Dell 2001fp. I don't have this issue with the other monitors. I also tried switching cables, and I plugged in an ATI 3450 (same problem).

I got the 2709 exchanged (the previous one also had wandering pixels) but that did not fix it, either.

Primary Adapter  
Graphics Card Manufacturer Built by ATI 
Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series    
Device ID 9460 
Vendor 1002 

Subsystem ID 0502 
Subsystem Vendor ID 1002 

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0 
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16 

BIOS Version 011.022.001.000 
BIOS Part Number 113-B79002-102 
BIOS Date 2009/03/04 

Memory Size 1024 MB 
Memory Type GDDR5 

Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz 
Memory Clock in MHz 975 MHz 
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 124.8 GByte/s 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 20th, 2009 06:00

Some Ati video card users have had success using the Ati Tray Tools
* Install ATI Tray Tools and see if a Hot Key combination will wake it up
* Menu- Hot Keys- Enable Hot Keys (make sure it is checked)
* Menu- Hot Keys- Customize
* Add new Hot Key
* Miscellaneous- Reload display driver
* Assign a Hot Key (I used ALT + T) - Ok
* Now, every time your monitor goes into power save mode you can revive it by pressing ALT + T (you can use any keys you want of course). This also works if you have completely powered off your the monitor

No Events found!