rettenhu
2 Iron

Re: 2408WFP blackouts out briefly

Hi DELL-Chris M,

Here's a composite summary of my testing on various ports of the 2408WFP monitor for the "blinking" problem:

I started keeping track of the blinking on 2/5 on the DVI-1 port...

2/5 - one occurrence w/2 blinks

2/13 - 2 freezes on boots at 2 different times of the day (once was a restart, the other was a cold boot)

2/14 -  2 freezes on boots at 2 different times of the day (once was a restart, the other was a cold boot)

2/14 - one occurence w/4 blinks

I switched to the DVI-2 port on 2/18...

2/18 - 2 separate occurences w/1 blink

2/28 - 3 separate occurences; 2 w/1 blink; 1 occurence w/2 blinks.

I switched to the VGA input port on 3/1...

There were NO instances of the monitor blinking or freezing between 3/1 and 3/10

I switched back to DVI-2 port on 3/11...

3/14 - 2 occurences w/1 blink

3/17- 1 occurrence with 4/blinks

I do not have HDMI cables so I can not test that port.  Is there anything else you would like me to try?  Where do we/I go from here?  My warranty expires in about 3 weeks.  Thanks for your support and assistance!

Studio XPS 435T    i7 920 2.67Mhz •  6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel  •  640GB SATA • ATI Radeon 4870 1024MB   • 16x DVD+/-RW 2408 WFP DVI @1920 x 1200 • STD USB Keyboard & Laser Mouse • Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

0 Kudos
e747
1 Copper

I do not have HDMI cables so I can not test that port.  Is there anything else you would like me to try?  Where do we/I go from here?  My warranty expires in about 3 weeks.  Thanks for your support and assistance!

You'll probably find HDMI is faulty too but that shouldn't be your concern - I would suggest you stop doing Dell's testing for them and get your screen replaced before your warranty expires. It's clearly faulty and there's obviously a problem with these monitors that Dell (not their customers, Chris M) should be testing and fixing.

I'm still waiting on my second replacement monitor having sent the first one back as mentioned previously because it too had the blackout issue as well as poor picture quality.

Dell's silence on this issue is deafening - what exactly are they doing to address this problem?

DELL? HELLO??

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
rettenhu
2 Iron

DELL-Chris M,

Please check your Private Messages

Studio XPS 435T    i7 920 2.67Mhz •  6GB DDR3 1066Mhz Tri-Channel  •  640GB SATA • ATI Radeon 4870 1024MB   • 16x DVD+/-RW 2408 WFP DVI @1920 x 1200 • STD USB Keyboard & Laser Mouse • Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

0 Kudos
rettenhu
2 Iron

DELL-Chris M,

Please check your Private Messages (again)  :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
skmerrow
2 Iron

Any solution to this problem yet?  I have the same monitor and am experiencing the SAME problem.  I have revision A02.  I am using it with a HP 8710 laptop and docking station.  I have tried other cables and verified no cable is loose.  Others have noted it may be a timing issue.  I am wondering if we have a solution yet, Dell?  I expected more for my 400.00.

0 Kudos

We are seeing alot of issues with docks (which we do not test). Test it directly connected to a PC.

0 Kudos
dclinger
1 Copper

My story: I have two 2408WFPs, revision A01, mfg date November 2008. Same problems everyone else here is reporting: Won't come out of sleep: icon in upper left corner appears, power button changes color as if waking up but then shows 'entering power save' banner and goes back to sleep. Blinks while in use - as if backlight is going off and on. Power button doesn't change color, no input icon and no power save banner, just quick blinking for a few seconds while in use. I filed a warranty claim on these in February of 2009. I expected to get replacements that were new and in good working order, free of the problem behavior I had been seeing. What I got were 'refurbished' displays that were, if anything, worse than the originals.

I sent the refurbs back and tried to figure out if there was a software problem causing this: this is a Linux machine, so new nVidia drivers, etc. Then I found this forum and saw all the people with Windows boxes having the same problems with these displays. Don't think it's software... I've tried both DVI ports on both displays and seen the same problems. I borrowed a different video card (nVidia FX580) that supports DisplayPort video and I've found that the blinking has stopped but that the backlights on the display stay on all the time. This is an interesting data point but not really a workable solution: I'd really rather the displays sleep and wake up (like they did when I was using the DVI connectors) but without blinking at me.

I'd really like to hear from someone at Dell that my thousand-odd dollars entitles me to better treatment than this.

Cheers.

0 Kudos

I never could find a solid fix, several workarounds for PC, none for Macs. The issue does not occur for everyone and we could never replicate it in our lab. Most customers gave up and disabled all powersave monitor functions. In any warranty, if the exchange is setup inside the first 21 days from the invoice date, the replacement will be New. Ouside of the first 21 days from the invoice date, the replacement will Refurbished/Used.

0 Kudos
mjemirzian2
1 Copper

The 2408wfp is a shoddy monitor.  Component overscans and is useless.  I also had this random blanking out issue running Windows.  It usually occurs most shortly after turning the monitor on.  The u2410 I replaced it with doesn't have this issue, anyway.

0 Kudos