jimjxr
1 Copper

Re: 2408WFP blackouts out briefly

I got a similar issue with my 2709w (ATI X1400), but it only happens when the monitor came back from standby, I suspect this is a software problem, but don't have time to investigate it yet, right now I just keep the monitor running without standby.

0 Kudos
reddice
2 Iron

The only thing I can think of tryying is a dual link DVI cable.  It can go days without blinking and then just do it a couple of times when windows is first loaded.

var domain = "en.community.dell.com" var getGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].getItem(key); } var setGS = function (key, val) { return globalStorage[domain].setItem(key, val); } var delGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].removeItem(key); }

var domain = "en.community.dell.com" var getGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].getItem(key); } var setGS = function (key, val) { return globalStorage[domain].setItem(key, val); } var delGS = function (key) { return globalStorage[domain].removeItem(key); }

0 Kudos

All,

We changed the monitor delay setting from 150ms to 250ms on the A01. I do not know what else we can do. This issue does not happen on all video cards and is intermitant. I think it is a combination of the monitor, video card, and video card driver. Has anyone figured out how to get into the monitor factory mode? There might be something in there we can try.

0 Kudos
reddice
2 Iron

Well that does not make a bit of a difference.  I used the computer everyday this week and it has been fine.  Had it on for over a hour today and it just blinked for a second and now it is fine.  All I read is people with ATI cards having this problem but I tried two Nvidia cards.  First a 7950GT and now a new 9800GT with the most up to date drivers and it still does it.  I does it rarely but except for this annoyance it is a great monitor.

0 Kudos

I can only speak for my personal experience, but the issue does seem to be a combination of hardware and software. I've done a lot of experimentation - here's what I found with my 2408 (A01), all via the DVI1 connector. 1. Mac Mini (PPC model w/ ATI video, OS X 10.5.7) - occasionally blinks, but it comes out of sleep. (Blinking stops if I run video at 1600x1200 w/ no scaling in the display.) 2. PC with an old ATI 9550 AGP board, it blinks if I run the default drivers that install with Windows. If I upgrade the drivers to the last ones ATI put out for the 9550 (Catalyst 9.3), it seems the blinking stops. But the real issue with that board remains - if the board/monitor go to sleep, it won't wake up, and nothing short of a hard reboot fixes the issue. 3. Old PC with a really old ATI 7500 AGP board, Window's stock drivers - didn't see blinking(I didn't test long, though), but as with the 9550, the 2408 won't come out of sleep with this board. 4. PC with a new Asus AH3650 (an ATI-based AGP card with no fan, because I really prefer a quiet PC), it comes out of sleep perfectly, but it blinks with the latest ATI AGP drivers (Catalyst 9.4). ONLY if I go back to the older drivers that came with the board will it stop blinking (Catalyst 8.5). 5. Lenovo Thinkpad with Nvidia Quadro 140M graphics - no blinking or sleep issues. (This is the first one I tried that actually worked, and made me think maybe the display wasn't broken. It's what got me to buy the Asus board for my regular PC almost as an experiment.) All of these boards drive 1920x1200 fine (except for the occasional blinking). None of these cards or drivers exhibit these blinking/sleep issues with other monitors that I tested, but I did manage to find ONE combination of board and driver that seems to work (the Asus AH3650 with stock Asus drivers). So is the issue Dell's, or are the other manufacturers to blame? I have my opinion... BTW, Dell sent me a replacement 2408 under warranty. The replacement did the same thing (blink. not come out of sleep), plus it had a couple dead pixels. I sent it back, and kept my original unit - at least the original display has no pixel defects. Not sure if this note helps - it's intended to let you know that this monitor can work, but unfortunately it may take you some time, work and $ to get there.
0 Kudos
tk911
1 Copper

I bought this monitor recently, and was experiencing the same problem. I am running a ATI HD Radeon 4890 with the latest Catalyst Version 2009.0317.2131.36802 (so I naturally thought it would look great on this monitor), but the flickering was driving me crazy. I made a small change from a refresh of 59 Hertz (Winows 7 default) to 60 Hertz, and the flickering stopped. The other strange thing is that if I go back to the screen where refresh rates are changed, it is back at 59 Hertz, but no flickering so far.

0 Kudos
tk911
1 Copper

Unfortunately, the flikcering returned when I turned my monitor back on (after a few hours of rest). I tried my refresh trick, no luck. It seems the monitor needs to warm-up, because after a little while the flickering slows and then eventually stops, except for a few random flickers spread throughout several hours. Does anyone know how I can check the firmware version of my monitor, I didn't see it in any of the menu's on the monitor, and I don't have any special driver (other than Catalyst, Windows 7 is using a generic PnP Monitor driver).

0 Kudos
RChris
2 Iron

The "firmware" is not updatable.  Your version will be visible on one of the manufacturing labels on the backside of the monitor.

0 Kudos
bwesl
1 Copper

Just wanted to contribute to this thread and share that I too am experiencing brief blackouts with the DVI connector icon showing in the top left corner.  I started noticing it most last night while watching a Blu-Ray movie and every so often it would happen.  My video card is an ATI Radeon 4890 (Sapphire) too.

I need to double check which version of the drivers I'm using and even what revision # my monitor is.  Once I've done this I'll post more info...

Thanks

0 Kudos

0 Kudos