Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 19th, 2008 05:00

2408WFP problems and graphics card

OK, so after a number of exchanges I've got a monitor which has a slight "backlight bleeding" along the left side. It is nothing major, but still noticeable (the picture is located here -- http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1040772scaledzb8.jpg ; I already posted it a while ago). My question is: should I ask for a replacement ? In other words, a backlight bleeding at the left side is an unfortunate feature of this monitor, or there are monitors with absolutely no backlight bleeding at left side ?

And I also made an observation which feeds into my question. My other concern about the monitor is that the black is not really a black; it's a black dotted with brown-gray.

I used to think there was something wrong with the monitor (or with my graphics card), but I now think it is neither ! For example, when I load the Windows, the loading background is total black. And, moreover, I see no backlight bleeding at the left side ! I believe the reason is that the monitor has an extended gamut, and also the graphics card (Apollo Radeon HD3870) has unoptimized drivers. (And when the computer boots up, it uses a very limited gamut.) In other words, the developers of the graphics card and of the card's driver did not expect that I'd get a monitor with an extended gamut, thus I am seeing what I am not supposed to see. But this problem is easy to solve: I just change the contrast and brightness in the graphics card settings in such a way, so that to saturate the blacks. (Thus, I effectively reduce the dynamic range of the image).

However, everything is not so simple. If I saturate the blacks as I just described, the spotty black is gone and is replaced with a solid black. This is good. However, I still have the backlight bleeding at left side.

What do you say ?

(P.S. I believe that that the color ghosting and pink tint and other stuff is a consequence of one's graphics card. For example, I never had these problems in either of the 2408 monitors which went through my hands. Thus, I believe that this is a consequence of a graphcs card/card driver.

33 Posts

May 19th, 2008 11:00

Valerian,

You might be quite right on your conclusion but that means we are working here as test teams for DELL.

This is not what I expect to do when buying a new monitor...

Last weekend I have discovered that with analog input the greenish/reddish color ghosting on texts is way smaller then with digital one. To my greater surprise, I connected it thru my KVM switch and that setup nearly eleminated completely the ghosting and the colors were not that bad after some adjustments, however still far from the great 2407wfp A04 predecessor.

However this test also exposed that the lag on analog input was way greater than on digital input. This is somewhat logical as we have some more conversions on the way but I didnt expect them to make such a huge difference. This is really well perceivable when watching videos, the lips are often completely out of sync, depeding on scenes.

I tested side by side with my 2PCs the 2407wfp and 2408wfp and almost all tests were better with the 2407. The only 2408wfp advantages I noticed were:

*) better contrast, luminance and white. Black by my model was ok as well.

*) the foot is made more solid and slightly bigger (I thought they are identical)

*) the card reader is better quality

All in all, DELL should make more tests before releasing this model to the market. I appreciate that they made a wide gamut model that can display many scenes better than the predecessor but not for the cost of even more use cases that render it almost useless for basic activities.

I did all my tests with using NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS with the latest NVIDIA drivers.

BR

48 Posts

May 19th, 2008 15:00

I'm having a hard time believing it's has anything to do with your graphics card. I have now used three cards on this monitor and used many ports trying to test. 7900GT, 9600GT with HDMI and DisplayPort, current 9800GTX each of these cards have the same issue. Why would they all have this issue?? The pinkish test is only on some windows or menus and not on others. It is generally randomn. I feel the backlight issues is from the type of panel they are using and the technology. Many companies have designed ways to keep the color consistant and the backlight, Dell (samsung) has not.

108 Posts

May 20th, 2008 15:00

@sullys00net wrote:
I'm having a hard time believing it's has anything to do with your graphics card. I have now used three cards on this monitor and used many ports trying to test. 7900GT, 9600GT with HDMI and DisplayPort, current 9800GTX each of these cards have the same issue. Why would they all have this issue?? The pinkish test is only on some windows or menus and not on others. It is generally randomn. I feel the backlight issues is from the type of panel they are using and the technology. Many companies have designed ways to keep the color consistent and the backlight, Dell (samsung) has not.

So what is Dell going to do about it?  I haven't seen any real acknowledgement that they have a problem.  I guess when they pull the product from the website, we'll know.  Seems like a pretty high degree of dissatisfaction.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 20th, 2008 23:00

@Andre66 wrote:

You might be quite right on your conclusion but that means we are working here as test teams for DELL.

This is not what I expect to do when buying a new monitor...

I agree with what you say. It is like you are preaching to the choir.  :-)

However, the point is that Dell has presented us with the monitor and said: "Either take it or leave it". We are free to buy his monitor or reject it, but we cannot complain that the monitor has this bad feature or that.

No Events found!