Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2015 04:00

2709W, Screen goes black after few hours of usage

Recently I'm experiencing a major issue with my Dell monitor - 2709W, Rev A01. After few hours of usage, the screen goes black. The menu is responding ( the sensors ) and I guess it really works, but I can't see its dialog on the screen. So here are some major faults of this monitor. 

1. Vertical lines, in the left side - can be corrected a bit by adding some foam over the ribbon cables.

2. The screen goes black - can't be corrected unfortunately, since I can't locate the faulty parts.

Notes: I get the blank screen, even if I remove the DVI cable. 

I've read on several forums that some capacitors might be weak. Is that the case for 2709W? I've looked at the electrical board, and no swollen capacitors were noticed. What could be the cause of this issue?

7 Posts

February 7th, 2015 05:00

After few minutes of cooling I turned the monitor back on. It works. Right now the monitor has the back cover removed and I had installed a vent to low the temps. Maybe some parts are getting too hot. I will see if this improves the situation.

It still need fixing, it's only a temporary solution. I'm afraid to get it serviced again. The last service used found no fault and fit the menu panel with the sensors inside - so stupid.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 7th, 2015 10:00

The 2709W was sold out of the UK on January 6, 2009. Warranty expired on January 5, 2012. Dell does not repair monitors, sell monitor components, or have disassembly documentation. We simply replace the whole monitor while inside the purchased warranty period and send the defective back to the manufacturer. We would not know where to start diagnosing an internal component defect.

7 Posts

February 7th, 2015 11:00

Thank you, Chris! Meanwhile, I've installed a bigger fan, more powerful. Now the monitor runs just fine, no failures. We'll see how it goes...

I know there is a list with all the DELL monitors, on Wikipedia. All the devices have some common issues listed - here is the link en.wikipedia.org/.../Dell_monitors. Some of the comments mention low quality capacitors, bad transistors, etc. So I was wondering if this particular model - 2709W - has some bad parts which might cause screen failure.

7 Posts

February 8th, 2015 03:00

I just found a forum topic related to this issue with 2709W monitos. There are many users who noticed the exact symptoms. Hope we'll find a solution

www.badcaps.net/.../showthread.php;highlight=2709w

7 Posts

February 10th, 2015 06:00

I have some news related to "power on fault". It seems that overheat is not the issue in my case, so I will remove the fan. The monitor fails to power on ( only the LCD screen - backlight ). The menu is responding just fine, but can't see the OSD - it remains black. 

So you need to plug/unplug the monitor, until you get the picture. If you manage to start it - it will remain on. No issue after that. It's obviously an issue with the electronic parts, but, till today, I didn't noticed a faulty capacitor or transistor. I'll keep looking.

11 Posts

October 30th, 2019 12:00

It is a poor connection somewhere on the board and maybe associated with the chip.   Many people are trying to reflow the chip with some success.   For me, my problem seems to be rare.   It seems to be temperature sensitive.   If you heat it up, the display may start to work.   When not working, I tap on the screen I see a flash of light.  After I let it warm up for a bit, try unpluging and pluging back.   Eventually it started to work.      

https://alpengeist-tvrepair.blogspot.com/2017/02/dell-2709w-ultra-sharp-blue-power-led.html

However, when I run softMCCS like the post, my DCC/CI is still "not supported" but the monitor does work.   There was no change with how the softMCCS detected the monitor between not working and working.   

No Events found!