Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2009 02:00

2709w: which 5.1 settings are supported?

Googling kept me in the dark so I turned to this community with the next question.

Dell tells you there are 3 ouputs for 5.1 support on the 2709w flatscreen and indeed there are but what they don't tell you is which 5.1 settings are supported :)
So here I am asking if anyone would know which of these are supported, this is with HDMI, thx.

Dolby Digital 5.1
DTS 5.1
Linear PCM 5.1 44.1kHz
Linear PCM 5.1 88.2kHz
Linear PCM 5.1 176.4kHz
Linear PCM 5.1 48kHz
Linear PCM 5.1 96kHz
Linear PCM 5.1 192kHz 

Wonderful screen for PC/XBOX360/PS3!
On the ps3 I have the choices listed above when setting up sound through HDMI. When I select all then in GTAIV I get nice surround but take another game and all I hear is the good old TV noise :D. Shame the xbox does not support 5.1 HDMI :(

Thx,
Zenom 

5 Posts

May 16th, 2009 05:00

HI Zenom,

Did you work out what settings are supported for the monitor?

I can't get any audio working on 5.1 blu-ray discs with my speakers and can't find the right settings!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

2 Posts

May 17th, 2009 16:00

Hi James,

Is it that you just don't hear any sound or it's just only 2.0 stereo?

Because if you go to the menu of your monitor and go to Other Settings you can select 2.1 or 5.1 under Audio Configuration. If it's not that then what I did was test every 5.1 setting on the ps3 alone and see what happens.

Maybe a stupid question: Did you plug in your speakers correctly? (sorry for asking)

It could also be that your HDMI cable does not support 5.1 audio or not even any at all, I think there are differences :/

In the end my problem was that the game did not have 5.1 sound but tried to put it out anyway O.o

I have played BR movies with 5.1 without any problem so it should be possible. I have a Logitech X-540 surround set.

Greetz,

Zenom

5 Posts

May 18th, 2009 05:00

Hi mate,

Thanks for responding, I have exactly the same speaker set as you. I can get 2.0 audio in games and movies but no audio whatsoever when I play BR. Either in 2.0 or 5.1...

The monitor is set to 5.1 under Audio Configuration but I can't figure out what to set the PS3 to to get the 5.1 audio to work, can you post me the items you selected on the PS3?

The HDMI cable was one that came packaged with the playstation bundle, so it should output 5.1. I changed it to the HDMI that came with the monitor and still no luck.

I'm slowly going insane with this and starting to regret my purchase!

Many Thanks for your help!

James

No Events found!