Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2009 01:00

3008WFP, Power save issues

Hi, I really hope someone can help on this.

Precision T7500:
Quadro FX4800 DVI to DVI -DVI cable to 3007WFP DVI
Quadro FX4800 DP to DP cable to 3008WFP DP

The monitors are setup as dual view and both set to 2560 x 1600. If i drag a window across both screens it all works fine, if the screen saver kicks in they both come back when i tap the keyboard. The issue is that when the 3008WFP goes into its power save mode it does not come back up. I have have to go back into the control panel and extend the desktop to the screen and click apply. It then works fine until it goes to power save mode and i have to go through it all again. The same happens if you turn off the monitors and then turn them back on you are left with just the 3007WFP working and you then have to extend the desktop to the 3008WFP to make it work again. I have tried various drivers for the Quadro card (currently 182.67 and bios 62.00.25.01.02) and spoke with dell technical support who suggest a driver upgrade and to swap the cables round to set the 3007WFP as the Primary.

As always any help appreciated. 

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 11th, 2009 00:00

When the 3008WFP doesn't wake up, what happens if you press the Input Source Selct button and re-choose DisplayPort?

7 Posts

October 13th, 2009 05:00

Hi Chris,

The source is still selcted on Display port when it powers down. Whats happening is that as soon as it goes to power save it stops sending a signal to the graphics card. When the card stops receiving a signal windows XP changes its graphic setup to reflect the loss of the screen (basically goes back to a single screen mode)

To bring the moniter back you have to go into setup, extend the display to the new screen, change the resolution and positiopn of the screen and then its all fine until the power save mode happens again.

I must stress this is not the windows power save mode but a native power save mode on the monitors themselves.

Thanks, any help is apreciated.

Tom

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 13th, 2009 07:00

"it stops sending a signal to the graphics card"

That is backward. The video card is the master that initiates the DP hand shake to the slave monitor. The monitor simply waits for the command from the video card. So the failure is in the video card driver or the video card.

7 Posts

October 13th, 2009 07:00

Its the Nvidia Quadra 4800 (supplied in the Precision T7600 Workstations)

7 Posts

October 13th, 2009 10:00

Yep, i spent an hour with a dell technician a while back. we updated drivers from dell. then tried Nvidia ones. We also tried using different ports on the card and it does the same thing.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 13th, 2009 10:00

And this issue occurs with both the Dell and the retail video card drivers?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 13th, 2009 13:00

Is there another PC you could check the 3008WFP on?

7 Posts

October 13th, 2009 14:00

I have the same issue on 4 different units. I purchased 9 workstations (t7600)and 9 monitors at the same time. 5 seem to be ok as i have had no reported errors but the 4 other units all have the same issue.

I have tried to replicate settings and drivers from a working unit and i still get the same issues. If i plug the faulty monitors into a working PC i get the problem so i can only assume its the monitor and not the graphics card.

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 19th, 2009 11:00

There is the chance that the 3008WFP firmware revisions are different.

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 04:00

How do i find out the firmware revision?

Tom

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2009 09:00

Look at the label on the rear of the monitor for the revision. Some customers have also used the monitor Factory Menu but I do not have those instructions.

1 Message

January 19th, 2010 17:00

I have a similar issue - Display Port stops displaying (sometimes) when the monitor goes into power save.  I have set the power options and screensaver, etc to as long a time as possible to avoid this. 

System is a Dell 960 running XP Pro SP3 with a nVidia NVS420 and the Display port option.  There are four 3008WFP monitors connected.  All the monitors are set for 2560X1600. The system is used as a control interface to a large network of computers and controlled equipment.

Only one of the monitors will go into the darkness of no return mode when the failure happens  (random monitor position...). The Nvidia Control Panel controls the windows desktop 'stitching' of the monitors - they are configured as two vertical pairs side-by-side.  Windows 'display properties' thinks that they are all independent.

Sometimes, (after a failure to return) when the settings are adjusted, using both the Windows display properties-settings and the nVidia Control Panel, the monitor can be made to come back on.  There have been three that did not come back after a reasonable amount of time, so they were just exchanged under warranty (this week) - the other ports DVI, VGA work ok. Dell did not ask about any troubleshooting - they just sent exchange units.

We have more than a few of these workstations, and experience this only on some of them.  As a preventive means, can  Dell enlighten me as to some hint as to what manufacturing run is sucseptable, or if there is a fix for this?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 19th, 2010 19:00

I have not heard of a defective run. I would have Dell replace the monitor.

7 Posts

January 20th, 2010 01:00

Hi

I have started to get my faulty monitors replaced after i have no luck with a fix from Dell. So far i have replaced 3 monitors and the issue has gone.

Cheers

Tom

1 Message

June 14th, 2010 14:00

I have the same issue with a Dell T7500 and 4 x 3008WFPs using the Quadro video card.  Has anyone found a solution?

No Events found!