Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2011 18:00

Can't exchange monitors--terrible customer service

I bought two U2311H monitors, which both came defective. I initiated an exchange, and received two more defective monitors. I used the same email form I used to initiate the first exchange and was told to call this time. I tried to call two nights ago, inside the 21 day window, and was told the information systems at the call center were down. I was told to call back in 4 hours, and replied that they would be closed by then. "Yes, I'm sorry," he said. It seemed odd to tell a customer to call a closed call center, but that isn't the issue I have with the service.

I called on the 21st day, knowing that it was the last day to receive a new monitor as an exchange, and now through no fault of my own, the window has expired with no exchange being initiated. I do not know if an exception will be made, because all calls I have placed since then have been in vain.

I have spent hours on the phone across multiple calls with no action being taken. Every representative takes my information, and transfers me to another person. This usually occurs 5 or 6 times until I am finally disconnected during one of the transfers. The one time I got through to someone who seemed as if he might have the power to act, he told me to talk to tech support first to see if they could resolve the issue. As my issue with the current monitors is severe backlight bleeding, I informed him that there is nothing tech support could do about such an issue. He refused to listen, and continued to encourage me to talk to tech support. Figuring that jumping through this useless hoop would finally get me some resolution for my issue, I finally agreed and he transferred me. Sometime after a few more transfers, I was disconnected. I called the tech support line, explained the issue, and was transferred another 5 to 6 times before being disconnected yet again.

Because your call center has thus far proven useless, I now turn my attention here for help. I simply want to initiate a second exchange for these monitors, and I am not interesting in wasting any more hours being transferred and disconnected ad infinitum, nor am I interested in talking to tech support about something that is not a tech support issue.

90 Posts

April 20th, 2011 20:00

Use the Unresolved Issues link at the bottom of the page and insist that you are contacted ASAP by a supervisor. Once the communication is underway get email addresses and DDI numbers if you can, keep a full diary of your dealings and let everyone you speak to know that's what you are doing (get names, position department from each person you speak to).

Remember it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil and don't give up or compromise on your rights or take no for an answer from anybody. If they don't call back when they sy they will, call them, Call their supervisor. Email the whole lot. It will be a frustrating and possibly time consuming experience but that's about I can suggest that you do..

Oh, and keep us informed by means of this forum too. Don't let shonky customer "care" get brushed under the carpet, you could save others from going through the same aggravation.

Good luck!

Oh, the diary is in case to need to go to a consumers rights organization or something like that. Hopefully you won't have to though.

April 22nd, 2011 14:00

Bump. Can't use the unresolved issue form because nobody has ever let me get to the point of getting a case or reference number.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 15:00

PixelAvenger,

If the replacements are defective, it is a Tech Support issue? Exactly how are they defective? What troubleshooting have you done on them?

Send me a Private Message (Click my username, click Send Message) with the monitors Order number and the following data so I can investigate this -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Order numbers:
Monitor 20 digit PPID numbers:
Reason:
Troubleshooting Done:

April 22nd, 2011 15:00

The monitors have backlight bleeding. I have turned the brightness down, and found that pressing on the bottom-center of the bezel on one significantly reduces/eliminates the issue. Technically I suppose I could clamp something there, but this seems a bit ridiculous as a solution. No amount of unplugging, resetting, and whatever else is in the tech support scripts is going to change this.

I will gather and PM the requested information within the next day or so.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 20:00

Also post pictures of the backlight bleeding. I will then send them to engineering to get their thoughts.

90 Posts

April 26th, 2011 15:00

Pixel, don't assume that it is only Dell's stated warranty or return period and conditions that are applicable.

In many countries commerce law and /or consumer rights take precedence. If you continue to have difficulty in getting product of an acceptable quality that is for purpose contact a consumer rights organization and find out if there are other legal options or rights available to you in order to resolve the matter.

Good luck!

April 30th, 2011 23:00

I don't see any way to send a PM through the sequence you describe, or any other.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2011 07:00

malreid,

In the Americas, we do not bow down to commerce "laws?" like the ones pushed in euro countries.

15 Posts

May 5th, 2011 21:00

I to have been having issue with faulty Dell products. All my threads have been deleted when i mentioned that consumer affairs and office of fair tradings have gotten involved. You would be surprised how many other are having similar issues, but ar ebeing silenced on these forums.

In my case they have admitted to re-using refurbished faulty parts. Now they are trying to "upgrade" my product which has/had all the max upgrades available to it. Its still under warranty and despite 5 repairs in the past week. 9 repairs in the past fortnight and 11 repairs in the past 3 months I am at wits end with Dell's attempt at repairing my item and even the techs who are doing the repairs are stating it needs to be replaced.

Im not saying this is the same case as you. However if all else fails and Dell's tech support cannt/does not help fix the issue contact consumer affairs... You'd be surprised how quickly things are fixed and even surprised to find out how many on going complaints/investigations are currently underway into regards to Dell and these issues.

Let us know how it goes.  

May 6th, 2011 14:00

I am being offered refurbished monitors for replacements. Under different circumstances, I would immediately accept, but seeing as how I contacted them on day 21 of their policy and was turned away, regardless of whether they had control over the reason or not, I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect new replacements.

It seems unethical to tell a customer who calls on day 21 of a 21-day policy that you cannot help them that day, and then treat them according to a different policy thereafter. I'm no law expert, but it doesn't seem as if it should be legal either.

I will try the few options available to consumers in the US and see how it goes.

15 Posts

May 6th, 2011 17:00

At least they are offering you a replacement. Via phone last night they told me they will collect my laptop and take it to a service centre, there they will replace all the parts that have now been replaced 4 times in 2 weeks but still continue to fail. Upon asking for a replacement I get ignored and told they will have another look at it. 6 parts replacements in 4 months. Every part has been replaced. 9 Parts replacements in the past year, not including the two other times its been sent to their service centre. Yet I am told there is a guarantee on all their service and repairs... My product is still under warranty and this is what its getting me
No Events found!