Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2013 04:00

DELL XPS 2710 AiO - HDMI in

Hello, I'm using the HDMI in and can't get higher resolutions than 1920x1080. Video: XFX Radeon 7970 - HDMI 1.4a compatible Belkin HDMI 1.4 High Speed Cable Windows 7 64 The displays nativ resolution should be 2560x1440 and HDMI out is 1.4 comp. But found no specs for the HDMI in. Makes no sense to me that the only input option doesn't support the native resolution... whats wrong?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 7th, 2013 09:00

dennis.vetter,

HDMI is a video mode and can only do 1920x1080p.

January 7th, 2013 10:00

1. If this is Dell's product policy - why is the HDMI-out port supporting higher resolutions than 1920x1080?

2. Why is there no other input option supporting the native resolution of the display? (DP, DVI)

3. HDMI specifications 1.3 and later officially allow higher resolutions than 1080p - even as a video mode (1440p, 2160p).

I actually found a solution for my problem which is called "Downsampling" to create a custom resolution like 2560x1440 35Hz under Windows. This also works with most Dell monitors and the HDMI input problem. You need a HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 compatible graphics output and a HDMI high speed cable with the same specifications.

January 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi Dennis

Your downsampling - what is the dispay quality like?  This is the only thing stopping me from buying an XPS-27 and I can't find the answers anywhere either!

Is 2560x1440 on a windows desktop acceptable?  I have another PC I want to use as an input to the XPS.  I can't understand why the HDMI-In only supports 1080p - this is now terribly outdated! 

Thanks

John

January 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi John

the picture quality is ok. The panel still runs at 60Hz even if you input at 35 Hz. (as far as i know)

No one understands why there is no support for the native resolution.

I'm running the display out of regular specifications and therefore I can not recomment you to buy this product.

3 Posts

July 27th, 2013 11:00

I just tried the above and got an ok at best picture.

After fiddling a bit more with the timings I used something called CVT reduced bank and got the same fabulous picture from me input computer that the XPS has natively.

I'm running an NVIDIA GTX 260 card on my input systems.  The follow is the custom resolution I created with the NVIDIA tools.

34 Posts

August 11th, 2013 06:00

Was this ever resolved? I started a similar thread whereby I ask Dell Support if I could use the xps display at its native resolution when using my works laptop as an input. They told me that yes I could (via hdmi) and that touch would also work.  Based on this thread, it sounds like it may not be true. This is stopping me purchase this computer until I can find out a definitive answer!

3 Posts

August 11th, 2013 09:00

I was able to get the full resolution of the XPS through HDMI.  It took creating a custom resolution as seen in the image above.  The real key is the timing.  If you don't use the right timing you get high resolution, but it looks awful.

So I would recommend you go ahead and make your purchase then refer back to the post above to set up your laptop to use the XPS as a second monitor.

34 Posts

August 14th, 2013 05:00

Thanks Dan, your post will single handedly enable me to go ahead with the purchase. Just to avoid any doubt, can you confirm that you're talking about using the xps one as an external monitor with a laptop as the source? One additional question - were you able to utilise the touch functionality with this set up? (My works laptop won't have windows 8)

Thanks again for your reply! :-)

3 Posts

August 14th, 2013 10:00

Gladly Ender4000,

I'm using the XPS One 2710.  This model is not touch enabled so I can't help with that part of your question.

I use it as an external monitor for multiple systems.  I plug a laptop and desktop into an HDMI switch box and the box into the XPS.  I'm using the custom resolution settings only for the desktop system.  The laptop displays on the XPS in standard 1920X1080 at 59 Hz as second monitor and the desktop is displaying in 2560 X 1440 as the main monitor of two for the desktop.

There is a control on the face of the XPS that selects the input between the XPS computer and the HDMI external source.  However most of the time I use VNC to remote desktop and see what the XPS computer is doing. It's just faster.

No Events found!