Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2015 15:00

Daisy Chain two U2415 monitors

Using Surface Pro 3 (SP3) with Docking Station, along with two U2415 monitors in daisy chain mode.

Three displays: SP3 display is number 1, U2415 monitor is display number two and the second U2415 is monitor number 3.

Have tried several SP3 docking stations and can NOT get this configuration to work.

That is, connecting the Dell MDP cable from the docking station to monitor number 1, and daisy chaining to my other U2415 (monitor number 2) from there.

I CAN however daisy chain if I connect the MDP cable directly to the SP3. 

Has any one solved this dilemma: Have the configuration work directly from the docking station rather than the SP3?

The three display mode works fine only if connected to the SP3 directly.

Microsoft agrees this is not the way to use the docking station.

Is there a special cable that works better than the Dell supplied MDP to DP cable?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 15th, 2015 13:00

Microsoft is aware of the issue with their dock. They are developing a special connector dongle for the dock which works with the Link Training process to boost the signal strength negotiated with the external monitors. As to when this will be available, sometime in September. Note, the dongle will not be available from stores. You must open a case with Microsoft and show them that the issue occurs when connecting directly to the dock mDP. They will then send you the dongle.

16 Posts

July 15th, 2015 13:00

Ahhhhh, I have just breathed a sigh of relief!!

Thank you for your informative response.

I can not tell you how frustrating this is for me.  Your response has a ring of knowledge to it and surpasses the information that Microsoft CSR's have.

I can wait for the dongle, since I have mastered using the MDP located on the SP3, though I prefer using the Docking Station to obtain my monitor's video.

Let's see what the fall brings our way.

No Events found!