Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2017 06:00

S2716DG, 144Hz gaming monitor with correct gamma

Hey,

Is it possible Dell will come with a high refresh gaming monitor that has correct gamma? I think it is wrong that Dell forces gamers to completely rely on Nvidia Control Panel - it causes banding and doesn't work in all games. Everything else about the monitors is better than the similar competition, IMO.

Regards,
Disappointed S2716DG owner, refunded.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 17th, 2017 06:00

"Is it possible Dell will come with a high refresh gaming monitor that has correct gamma?"

Well, we cannot see into the future. But explain how the gamma is incorrect.

Assuming that you read through this.

* Post pictures of the S2716DG stand alone BID (Built-in Diagnostics) showing us the colored screens
* Post pictures of the "incorrect gamma"
* What games?
* Explain in detail. What is "It" in your sentence? "It causes banding and doesn't work in all games"
* To what computer model is the S2716DG attached?
* What operating system?
* To what video card is the S2716DG attached? Using what cabling and ports?

November 17th, 2017 07:00

Incorrect gamma is the S2716DG having low gamma by default, even as low as 1.7 gamma are being reported (this is so much deviation from 2.2, that night can be described nearly as daylight in a game). Widely acknowledged fact around the internet about this model, surprised the support isn't aware of this. "It" = software based gamma adjustment. Games such as Company of Heroes 2 completely reject any software adjustments. I spend a lot of time with this game, hence why I refunded. It was connected to a custom built system with a GTX 980 under Windows 8.1 64-bit, using DP cable and ports.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 17th, 2017 07:00

So you returned the S2716DG. What 144Hz monitor did you purchase to replace it?

Where on the sales site did we state that the gamma would be 2.2? The S2716DG User's Guide doesn't state gamma 2.2? It mentions =
Luminance output 350 cd/m² (typical)
Contrast ratio 1000 to 1 (typical)
Color depth 16.7 million colors
Color gamut of 72% NTSC, CIE1931
* Color gamut (typical) is based on CIE1976 (82%) and CIE1931 (72%) test standards

On your specific S2716DG, did you run any software to measure the exact gamma?

Did you consider purchasing calibration hardware (colorimeter) and software and actually calibrating the S2716DG?

November 17th, 2017 08:00

XL2730 offered similar panel with OSD gamma adjustment to get the picture towards 2.2, so I went there. I didn't run exact measurements on my S2716DG, but it was so off, that I could easily tell it was way below 2.0. And I did consider buying a colorimeter. But it couldn't be a solution for my gaming purposes, as Company of Heroes 2 (or possibly any upcoming game) would have rejected color profiles created by any calibration software.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 18th, 2017 06:00

I cannot find any Dell monitor that has a gamma adjustment in the OSD (On Screen Display) menu. I contacted the Displays Team. They said that Dell never posted a gamma 2.2 specification on our sales site nor in the User's Guide. So I am still wondering how you came up with it.

November 18th, 2017 07:00

My 50% cheaper Dell UltraSharp sat perfectly at 2.2., so I just expected 2.2 gamma from a premium priced Dell gaming monitor. It's a basic industry standard, and the very key to good sharp image quality, so one would easily expect it, I can't be the only one who found myself in this situation. The U2312HM model I had by the way could adjust the gamma lower from the OSD, but it was perfect by default.

November 20th, 2017 12:00

Yeah that's the option, you could toggle between 2.2 (PC) and 1.8 (MAC). The S2716DG was basically on this MAC preset, image becomes very washed out.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 20th, 2017 12:00

The only reference I see to "gamma" in the U2312HM User's Guide is below =

No adjustment other than PC or MAC.

1 Message

November 21st, 2017 23:00

Hello guys!!! I know that Dell always produce amazing products for gaming or  other uses. But I think It is not possible that Dell produces high refresh rate monitors at this time. But I am not sure about it.

December 3rd, 2017 20:00

I just want to post these here, to demonstrate how much an OSD setting would help with image quality.

S2716DG:

XL2730 (OSD Gamma 1 setting):

XL2730 (OSD Gamma 5 setting):

No Events found!