Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2010 18:00

Dell 17inch E773c Monitor

I am getting large fonts on the screen so much so that some screens go beyond the physical screen that I can't even scroll up/down or sideways.  I tried changing the screen resolution but I could not.  It is stuck at 640 x 480 pixels.   I am also getting a pop-up screen saying that my resolution is low and Windows can adjust it automatically to which I click OK.  Yet inspite of this nothing happens.  I tried the SAFE MODE and changed the resolution and still I could not move the slider to increase the resolution.

Incidentally, this problem started after I reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 4600.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mike

2.6K Posts

February 9th, 2010 19:00

After you reinstalled XP, did you reinstall all the drivers?   Just reinstalling XP won't do that -  it sounds like you haven't loaded the correct video driver.

The 4600 drivers below.  Install the chipset drivers first, then work through and install the correct network, video, audio, and modem drivers (if you have a modem).   If you enter your service tag it should only return the drivers you need.    Or, if you have the Dell Resource CD, you can use that instead.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600

If you use the downloads, avoid the Dell Download Manager - it's troublesome.    Select the second browser download option instead.

20 Posts

February 13th, 2010 13:00

Alexandra -- Thanks for your response.  Sorry for the delay in my reponse but I was snowed in and could not try your suggestion.  However, it worked!  I appreciate your help.  Mike

2.6K Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

Glad it's sorted - both the PC and digging out from the snow.   :emotion-1:

20 Posts

February 19th, 2010 15:00

Alexandra -- I am back for it worked for awhile and then the system became unstable again -- I saw a weird checkered pattern on the screen and heard a somewhat high pitch tone coming from the tower.  When I restarted the computer I got a blank screen.  Anyway, I persisted and tried several times until I finally was able to restart the computer again and reinstall Windows XP.  So far it has been stable and the only thing is that I am back to the problem I started with, that is,  large fonts and this is because I have not installed any drivers yet.

I would like to follow again the steps of installing the drivers as you proposed but before doing that I would like to consult with you first to make sure I am still in the right path.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

2.6K Posts

February 19th, 2010 18:00

Weird checkered pattern and "whining" sounds (if that's what you mean by a "high pitched tone"  sounds more like a hardware problem to me.

Others here are better with that (in the Desktop General Hardware Section).     But first thing to do is just open it up and check for dust accumulation.    Overheating can cause weird behavior, plus dust might be causing fans to whine.   Your service manual below - if there is a lot of dust, best thing is to get a can of compressed air to blow it out.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/parts.htm#113939

20 Posts

February 21st, 2010 13:00

Alexandra -- I still have a problem.  Here's the situation.

1) I can always backtrack (fortunately) and reinstall Windows XP Home ed.  Once installed, my system is stable. Let's call this point "Square One".    Then I tried two scenarios: (A) and (B) from "Square One".

Scenario A:

Right after installing Windows XP (Square One), I installed the driver for the Intel chipset first as suggested by the order in which the drivers should be installed.

After the installation of the chipset, my monitor shows a weird multicolored pattern.  At this stage, all I can do is shut down the machine.

Scenario B:

Right after installing Windows XP (Square One), I installed the driver for the monitor instead of chipset.   After the installation, I get the error message:  "system32\drivers\pci.sys is missing.  You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original Set-Up CD-Rom." I follow this in the reinstallation, that is, I choose "Repair" rather than  a fresh installation of Windows XP.  After the repair process, I am back to Square One.

So either way, I can't make the system stable beyond Square One.

I tried a google search on "system 32\drivers..." error message and all get is to do a repair of the installation of Windows XP.

Given the above information, do you have any further suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.

Mike

No Events found!