Sterndogg02
2 Iron

Dell 1901FP vertical white bars while web surfing

Hello all,

I'm very close to purchasing the 1901FP but was wondering if anyone has experienced vertical white bars that appear on the sides of the screen while web surfing or in general. My friend has this screen and said that white bars appear when Netscape or IE are maximized as if they are space fillers. I did a search and couldn't confirm his statement. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!

-Adam

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mele20
2 Iron

Re: Dell 1901FP vertical white bars while web surfing

I've had this monitor for 5 days and I don't see any vertical white bars when surfing on Mozilla 1.5 or Firebird 0.7. I can't use IE at all with this monitor so I don't know if there are lines there or not. IE does not allow for enough increase in text size for the resolution for this monitor. Even at "largest", text in IE is very small and not comfortable for reading for any length of time. I am not happy with the monitor and may return it and simply use my Dell Trinitron 17" which is superior to this monitor and is the right size for most websites. 19" is too large as the best resolution for most websites is 17" monitor with 1024x768. I would recommend you get a 21 inch Trinitron, if you have the room for it, as the CRT's are much superior to LCD (except for their weight and size). The text on this monitor is fuzzy. If you read the review at PCWorld what they say is exactly correct. The Sharp monitor is superior to this (for text) and I wish I had bought it instead.
0 Kudos
John Redcorn
3 Silver

Well Mele I went ahead and read the PCWorld review. You can't seem to stop bad mouthing the 1901 on here, so let's see what PCWorld had to say.

Though the 1901FP wasn't among the highest-scoring 19-inch LCDs in our image-quality tests, it did score in the top half in a field of high-end monitors, almost all of which have superb image quality.

Top half in the field? Do you think it would be in the top half if you couldn't read text on it?

It ranked a bit better in graphics than text, reproducing skin tones especially well in a photograph of children. The 1901FP rendered text best in our Microsoft Word and Excel documents; its text looked somewhat fuzzy on another screen showing various sizes of type.

Huh. That certainly doesn't seem to imply the text is UNREADABLE, does it.

Dell's thoughtfully designed 1901FP offers a plethora of useful features and fine image quality to suit nearly any office or home user.

Again, I don't think they would say it suits office and home users if it was unreadable.

Let me ask you this, have you gone to Best Buy or Circuit City and checked out the 1901's twin LCD panel? You can see text on it and you will immediately see how it is supposed to look.

0 Kudos
Mele20
2 Iron

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. There is no Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. here. Nowhere you can look at any brand of LCD monitor. Honolulu has a CompUSA and I think a Circuit City although I have no idea where. Flying over there is now quite expensive, but if I had known a Dell LCD would be in CompUSA, I probably would have tried to go over and look at it before I bought it. Although how it would look in the lights in a store has no relevance to how it would look in your home in the lighting you have there.

You didn't quote the important part of the article. It rates the text on the Dell as only "good", whereas, the text on the Sharp monitor (which is rated overall only one point below the Dell) is rated as "outstanding". The article says if text clarity is important then you should buy a Sharp not a Dell. Yes, it says text is ok in Word and Excel. I don't have Excel and I seldom use Word. I spend about 10 hours a day on the internet mostly at DS:Reports in the technical forums and also at Wilderssecurity and Computer Cops so I need a monitor that produces sharp, clear text on internet sites. I wanted to have a monitor from the same source as the CPU, otherwise, when I read that I would have bought the Sharp. Although what I really wanted was a 19" Trinitron which Sony no longer makes.

I also have the problem of flicker and wobblies on XP when auto scrolling. I saw this problem when I hooked up the Trinitron to the XP computer. So that is a bug in XP! W98SE is much better as there is no flicker or wobblies when auto scrolling. Plus, I cannot use IE or OE on XP as I cannot enlarge the text in IE. I click on "large" and it stays very tiny. Same with "extra large". The text size doesn't change. That probably has to do with the screen resolution of this monitor. I can easily change text zoom in Mozilla and Firebird, but sometimes I have to use IE and I prefer OE for a mail client. I can get larger text on an email when I read it, but not on the inbox screen or the welcome screen. Now, if I use my Trinitron set at the same screen resolution as the Dell LCD, I can get IE to enlarge the text. So, it is this monitor that will not let IE enlarge the text seems like. What else could it be?

I love my old Dell and it has given me great performance. When I needed tech support in the beginning (as i was a newbie then), I got it fast and it was excellent. I haven't needed tech support for two years at least. Now, I wait two-three hours for tech support and then I can't understand the tech's accent. Plus, I have to call at least three times just to finally get a tech as I always get disconnected the first time or so...after waiting 30 minutes or more! I never got disconnected or waited more than 10 minutes a couple of years ago. (But then tech support was in the USA and you didn't have to pay $60 extra to get the USA support as you do now and which I didn't know about and which Dell won't sell to me now). So, I am not exactly eager to call tech support again about this monitor. The only reason I bought Dell again was because I was under the mistaken impression that Dell still had fantastic tech support which I have found is not true.
0 Kudos
John Redcorn
3 Silver

Well if PCWorld rated it as good, that certainly sounds better than what you have on yours, doesn't it? If the people at PCWorld got a LCD that had your problem, you can be sure they would have given it the lowest score. All I'm trying to do is convince you that your 1901 has a problem. I know it's your second one, but that doesn't mean you can't get 2, or 3, or 4 bad ones in a row.  A 'good' rating would at least imply it's readable.

Flicker and 'wobblies' is not inherent to XP, since you are the first person I have ever heard mention it. Mine doesn't have that problem.

IE text can be zoomed by holding down the control key and using the mouse wheel. Believe me your LCD is not preventing you from enlarging fonts. The monitor has no CLUE what info is being given to it, it can't say yes or no to anything (except to certain resolutions). Enlarging fonts is done strictly in software.

I haven't had to call support since they went to India (?) but a lot of people have a story like yours to tell. I'll find out since I have a HDD going bad.

Isn't there another computer you could plug your 1901 into and see if it clears up?

0 Kudos
Mele20
2 Iron

Now if I don't write this really fast, I will be logged out when I go to post this. What is it with only being logged in very briefly here? I just wrote the webmaster about it.

I suppose I could hook it up to the other 8300CPU sitting on the floor. Dell sent me a second CPU because my Altec Lansing speakers (2 of them) wouldn't work when I got this system. The tech said I might be having multiple system failure so since I was within the 30- day period, he sent a new CPU as well as speakers. I was unhappy with the new CPU because it doesn't have some of programs on it that the original one has. (Can you believe that???! The Dell I used to know would neve have let this sort of thing happen).

So, after I had taken all the time to secure XP, I noticed that so I unhooked it and planned to return it (on Mon or Tues) and use the original one as I think it was just the speakers that were bad. The new set works fine on the original CPU. However, I don't recall if the monitor was better on the second CPU. I guess I should hook it up to it as maybe this original CPU really is having multiple system failure. I'll try that tomorrow. Very late here and I am so tired of hassling for a week now with this computer! I've done nothing else...hardly eaten or slept and have hardly left the house either.

I hope you are luckier with the tech support than I have been. I remember when tech support for Dell was so outstanding that it was way above any other OEM in the annual PC Magazine poll of its readers. It started down about two years ago and I had to call I think once after it started down and it was bad. I got cut off after 30 minutes on hold and then waited a couple of hours after I called back and I couldn't understand the tech plus he was poorly informed. I was really surprised at what he did NOT ask me and his answer to the problem was off the wall. I figured it out later on my own and he was way off the mark. I was called by Dell shortly after that very negative experience and asked to answer a poll on customer satisfaction. I did so eagerly and at the end was able to give further feedback than just the poll answers. Dell didn't pay any attention to what I said though! 🙂 They instead proceeded to further trash their most important asset. 😞
0 Kudos
John Redcorn
3 Silver

I've called twice in the past. Both times I was asked a couple questions and replacement parts were sent out very quickly. its been maybe a year since i called. so far ive been happy with support.
0 Kudos
Sterndogg
1 Nickel

Hmmm thanks gang for the replies. I might hold off on this one as I've read that there is still quite a bit of ghosting. I wonder how the 2001FP rates...Anandtech gave it a solid review.

-Adam

0 Kudos