Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 16:00

Dell 2408wfp rev. A02 Power Save Mode Problem

Ok I just received this monitor yesterday and I have had it randomly go into power save mode a few times. I have noticed this monitor is plagued with this problem throughout all the revisions. I am seriously thinking refund here but i want to try to find a fix for it.  I have been using a Samsung T220 for about 6 months with not a single glitch. I have also noticed the left side being less/more bright than the right side just like many other people have complained about. After so many reports of the same problem you would think they would get it right considering how much they charge for these monitors. If anyone has any input about the power save mode problem I would appreciate it. 

Core i7

GTX275

Creative X-FI Fatality Titanium

BFG 550W Modular PSU

Windows 7 RC Build 7100

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 28th, 2009 19:00

Jeremiah99,

What video card? What monitor ports have you tried? Is all Windows power management turned off?

7 Posts

May 28th, 2009 20:00

I am using Nvidia GTX 275. I am using DVI-D 1 and all power management is turned off in windows.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 29th, 2009 07:00

Test the other DVI-D port on the monitor.

7 Posts

May 29th, 2009 13:00

Same thing. I might add that it does this mainly at the start of windows. It goes into power save mode before i get into windows all the way then it comes back on then immediately goes back into power save mode a few times before stops. It has also happened while i was browsing the internet.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 29th, 2009 15:00

You did look at the label to verify it is an A02? If yes, I need the following sent to me in a Private Conversation -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: 2408WFP A02 DVI Power Save failures

7 Posts

May 29th, 2009 18:00

Is nvidia driver up to the date?

Yes

17 Posts

Do you have another spare video card? It is possible that the nvidia card could be problem?

J.Measel

17 Posts

Is nvidia driver up to the date?

7 Posts

Do you have another spare video card? It is possible that the nvidia card could be problem?

J.Measel

Its not the video card. I have had a Samsung Monitor hooked up to this thing for a while and never had a problem. I just got the Dell 2408 and it started happening within a few hours.

17 Posts

May 29th, 2009 20:00

Best I can think of is have Dell-Chris send you a exchange of another A02 and you put them both on dual and test.

8 Posts

June 1st, 2009 23:00

After a bit of searching around the net, I've come to conclude that some monitors (not just the 2408WFP) is more susceptible to this. It's all based on the specific combination of LCD + video card + drivers. "CVT Reduced Blank" appears to be the setting that is most promising within video drivers (Forceware or Catalyst), but it's not the panacea that some had hoped for. Maybe Dell can work with Nvidia and AMD (aka ATI) to get this tested more thoroughly as it appears this problem also affects other LCD monitors, not just the 2408WFP.

Thus this isn't exactly just video card specific. There are 3 variables that are highly variable, which is what makes this issue hard to pin down to a specific solution.

8 Posts

I have exactly the same problem, except it has not happened right before getting into Windows. In the three times that it has happened, it was during browsing the web. Each time it happens it "blinks" and comes back within a second -- it has blinked only once each occurrence.

I'd be fine with this happening once every 6 months or a year, but once every week or month is just too much. What's going on with this monitor?

And before anyone thinks its my video card (EVGA GTX 260), I would tell you that its not simply because it hasn't happened with any other monitor. I've seen some others say that it's the DVI cable that's faulty. Also, I don't think hooking it up to DVI-2 is an option -- All ports should function properly.

I have an A02 revision that I received on May 29, 2009.

8 Posts

Also, not to thread-hijack, but does anyone know why everytime I post it "times out" and says there's an error with the forum, but when I look back at the thread, my post is successfully logged?

Specifically, it says:

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error.
Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2009 06:00

A work order has been submitted.

8 Posts

June 4th, 2009 16:00

Just to let you know, the blink basically happens once every time I have the computer on, typically during the first 10 minutes of browsing the net.

No Events found!