Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2009 07:00

Dell 2709 - Flicker on/off

Hi,

I purchased a Dell 2709 around 6~8 months ago. Recently the monitor has been flickering on and off. I'll be at the desktop/playing a game, the screen with go black and will come back a second later. The DVI connection logo shows up in the top left hand corner. The computer is hooked up to a DVI connection. It's a revision A01.

Thanks for any help.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 24th, 2009 08:00

jarryd,

What operating system? What video card? Did you recently change the video card driver? Have you tried the other monitor DVI-D Single Link port?

2 Posts

June 24th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I'm using Windows XP Pro 32-bit with an ATI 1GB 4870. I recently upgraded from 9.3 catalyst to the latest (9.5? cant remember off the top of my head). I have not tried the second DVI port as yet. Keeping in mind it only happens a few times a week, it's a bit hard to see if the issue has resolved itself or not.

It seems I am not alone with this issue though:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1227951#r1
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1227951#r1

I'm not 100% sure, but it might just be a DVI issue (cable or port). I have my Xbox 360 hooked up via HDMI, and although I don't use it as much as my computer, ive never had the same issue with it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 24th, 2009 14:00

Please try the other DVI monitor port. Is this a Dell PC? Go here and tell me if the monitor cable we sent you was DVI-D Dual Link or Single Link.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 08:00

Blacks out on both monitors?

Using what ports?

Blackout is only on one monitor.  Only using the one port on the mentioned card.  A single DVI port with a splitter cable that becomes DVI 1 and DVI 2.  The monitors are both using DVI directly from the split - no adapters exist in between the card and monitor (like a DVI to VGA).

To add to further troubleshooting steps already taken:

- Updated firmware/driver for nVidia dual monitor card (direct from nVidia)

Like the previous poster mentioned, it takes a while to test each solution because the issue happens quite randomly.

Thanks for the reply Chris!

I am a bit late to this post, but I am experiencing the exact same problem and have been unable to find a resolution.  We are running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex 960 desktop model with an upgraded Nvidia dual-monitor card (purchased from Dell at the time the unit was built).  This is a brand new system, and the problem began happening immediately after the workstation was set up.

- We are experiencing a single display that blacks out momentarily then returns.  This may happen many times in a single day, or only once, and all at random times

We have done the following so far in troubleshooting:

- Turned off ALL power save features in Windows XP.  Only the screen saver itself is active.
- Reset monitors to factory defaults and auto adjusted
- Reconfigured dual-monitor displays plus changed physical monitor placemtent (switched #2 to #1, etc.)
- Checked all physical connections.  Times 3 :)
- Checked for software interference or abnormal use of the workstation

Do we need to look at getting new cables or a new video card?  Any thoughts are welcome - we're shootin' blanks here.

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2009 12:00

Can you swap the monitors on the splitter and see if the flickering stays with that 2709 or goes to the other one? Did that make sense?

September 23rd, 2009 14:00

That's not a bad idea.  Let me try that to eliminate a single monitor as an issue.  BTW, I checked on the model of these monitors, and they are brand new 1908FPs

Here's the line item listing:  Dell 19 inch UltraSharp; 1908FP Flat Panel,black,height adjust,VGA/DVI

Apologies for not specifying earlier.  No success with new video firmware.  Thanks Chris!

September 25th, 2009 08:00

Update:

It does appear to be a single monitor.  No matter the primary or secondary label, one monitor is flickering/blacking out.  It is happening about 10 times/day. 

We think we've certainly narrowed it down to hardware.  Today we swapped out all the cables.  The combined DVI splitter cable (in case one side of the dongle is bad), plus the standard DVI cable from the splitter to the monitor.  We'll see if that works.  If not, we'll have to have Dell replace the monitor.  Frustrating being that it's brand new.

I'll update this if the cables fix the problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 25th, 2009 12:00

Once you narrow down which monitor is defective, I need the following in a private conversation -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason:

October 1st, 2009 06:00

Chris,

The cable swap was unsuccessful.  Looks like we have a bad monitor.  I sent you the requested info in a private communication.
Let me know if there's anything else you need.  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Grant

2 Posts

October 17th, 2009 16:00

I'd just like to say that I'm experiencing a similar problem.

I took delivery of my 2907W in Jan 2009 and since it arrived it has intermittently "blacked out" for about 1 second, showing the DVI logo in the top left with "no signal". It does this at least twice a day, more often the longer you use it.

• Win XP Pro
  • GeForce 6600LE
  • I've tried DVI Port 1 and 2

Most importantly, the problem still occurs when viewing the Component Video input - specifically a PlayStation2, as well as a digital TV set top box (both devices use a separate component cable). Obviously it shows the Component Icon in the corner when it does this.

This leads me to believe that the monitor is the cause of the problem.

The reason why I have not tried to get this monitor replaced is because apart from this behaviour, it's actually an excellent monitor.

The blackouts are not completely unbearable since they are infrequent and quick.

And, I do not have a spare monitor to use while getting a replacement, and that's a huge issue for me.

But as the 1 year birthday approaches, the problem is still as bad as it was the day I bought it, which really takes the sheen off an otherwise great monitor.

Do I have an option to get the monitor replaced? How long will turnaround time be?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 17th, 2009 19:00

You keep the original monitor until the replacement comes in. If  you only have a monitor order number, you should contact Customer Service. If your monitor was purchased tied to a Dell PC, contact Technical Support.
They will need the following -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Operating system:
Video card:
Video card ports tested:
Reason: S2709W Blacks out, then goes to Power Save

7 Posts

October 20th, 2009 11:00

I would just like to state that this thread has helped me make sure I did not forget to test a specific component(s) during a similar issue I am having with one of our enterprise devices. And that I appreciate all the community and representative help that this forum provides.

2 Posts

October 29th, 2009 15:00

I'd just like to post the fact that my 2709W was replaced by Dell one week ago and I haven't experienced the problem with the new unit, its a flawless experience.

Huge props to Dell for shipping the new unit via overnight express.

With that kind of superlative customer service I have to recommend going with Dell for the normally risky prospect of a big screen LCD monitor.

No Events found!