Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2009 23:00

Dell 2709W blinking out

I'm having a problem with my montor.  Intermittantly it will black out the screen for a second and come back on with a small DVI symbol in the upper left corner of the screen.  I've searched for info on this and seen a few others with this problem across various monitors, but with no real solutions.  I've tried to do as much troubleshooting as I can think of to narrow it down, and as far as I can tell, it's a dvi / hdmi issue, maybe EDID with the monitor? 

I'm running a new system with the monitor, and have tried hooking a Samsung monitor to the computer and have no issues at all with it, which leads me to believe it's the dell monitor.  I've checked and tried most settings on the video card to see if I can affect the issue, but to no avail.  The blinking is happening fairly regularly, going only 15 minutes at most without blinking and at times will do this 3 or 4 times in a row and only a 3 or 4 minutes between instances.

I've tried hooking up the dell single dvi cable into both ports on the monitor and the video card.  I've bought a dual link dvi cable and had the same results.  I've tried using the dvi / hdmi adapter and using the hdmi port with the same result.  Interestingly, using the dvi / vga adapter and hooking to the vga port seems to fix the problem, though I'd like to run that a bit longer to see if it truly does fix it.  However, VGA is not an ideal solution and didn't really want to use it when DVI / HDMI should be working.

I'm using an ATI video card, XFX 4890 series.  The monitor is rev. A02 manufactured March 2009 in Mexico.  I bought the monitor through Dell Canada and have tried to phone the 1-800 technical support number but get a message saying, "We are having technical difficulty, please call back later" and get disconnected. 

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem, or should I just keep trying the 1-800 number and hope to get through?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 14th, 2009 06:00

Calven,

I need the following sent to me in a Private Conversation -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC to verify if the warranty is valid:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason: 2709W blacks out, then to Powersave  using DVI, DVI to HDMI, HDMI

197 Posts

May 15th, 2009 13:00

I have the same problem but I have a 2408WFP Rev 01 and a Nvidia 9800GT card.  Everywhere I read people are having these problems they have ATI cards but it does it with two Nvidia cards I have.  I had a 7950GT before.  It does not blink as much as yours but it can do it if I change resolutions, inputs or shut off the monitor and turn it on.  It can go for a while and then blink ones or twice and then be fine for the rest of the day.  It can also not do it at all.  I have a single link DVI cable and never tried any other connection.

No Events found!