Re: Dell 3008WFP DVI-D re-occuring port failure for many users.

Still need all your PPID numbers. I got ESWong.

0 Kudos
Fusion22
1 Copper

* I actually had to be in Service Mode for PowerStrip to write the EDID successfully.  Having DCC/CI "on", but exiting the Service Mode didn't allow me to write to the EDID.

Seems strange, but it explains why PowerStrip didn't work for me even after I turned on DDC/CI in the service menu.

By the way, DDCW can be run off a bootable CD and the best part is it is free.  The floppy just gave me the option to pipe the output to a txt file.  I guess not many people have floppy drives on their systems anymore.

0 Kudos
Chombatta
1 Copper

I followed this and other similar threads with great interest as I was having similar (Entering power save...) issues with my Dell UltraSharp 2007FP monitor.

I tried some of the workarounds listed here and on other sites to no avail (at least consistently) until I hit the suggestion of trying a different (higher quality) DVI-D cable than the stock one. I went and bought the Belkin Pro Series DVI-D Single Link cable of 3 meters (manufacturer's code: CC5000AED10) and *fingers crossed* this seems to have resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos
Raemus
1 Copper

HI, I've was following this thread for several months and was happy to jump on here a few days ago to find a solution to this.  Port 1 on my 3008wfp went ou a couple of weeks after I got it, and luckily I've been going since on port 2.  I'd like to get the EDID reprogrammed for port 1, but have so far been unsuccessful.  I was wondering if someone can help me out with either Fusion22's solution (ddcw.exe) or ESwong's (Powerstrip).  Here is what I have done for each:

I downloaded the EDID_writer package that contains ddcw.  I have Vista 64bit and have tried several ways of booting to command prompt and trying to run this.  I do not have a floppy drive, so I created a bootable CD with Magic ISO that has Win98se, and included the files from EDID_writer.  I boot to prompt fine, but can never see the other files. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  It seemed so much easier to do tasks like this before windows!

Powerstrip v3.86 - I have tried this as well, but always get the message that "DDC communication failed or is not supported" even when both the monitor OSD and service menu show that DDC/CI communication is on (when trying to read data directly from monitor).  I do not see an option to update the monitor either.

I have EVGA GeForce GTX280's if that helps

Any help would be appreciated, as I'd sure hate to have to RMA this thing before my warranty period runs out.

0 Kudos
Fusion22
1 Copper

Raemus,

Try downloading the CD-Image ISO from:

http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.htm

One note: this ISO includes an autoexec.bat file with the commands:

ddcw -m 0 -p

ddcw -m 1 -p

You may need to use "ddcw -m 2 -p" if your monitor cable is on port 2 of the video card.  Sorry, but I don't how to tell which port on the video card is port 1 or port 2.

I assume you can do a dir command to get a directory listing of the CD.  DDCW should be listed.  If not, you may want to try burning the CD with a different CD burning program such as Nero.

BTW: Do you know what happened that resulted in the loss of DVI Port 1?  For me, it seemed to happen when I accidently booted the computer with the monitor turned off and then turned the monitor on after the computer was booted.

If you end up using Powerstrip, it was reported by ESWong that the service menu must be open while using Powerstrip for things to work.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
dkaardal
1 Copper

Also, if you can't find the original EDID information, this might come in handy.

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 35 40 4C 37 38 31
13 13 01 03 80 41 29 78 EA 8F 95 AD 4F 32 B2 25
0F 50 54 A5 4B 00 81 80 A9 40 D1 00 D1 40 71 4F
81 00 B3 00 01 01 B0 68 00 A0 A0 40 2E 60 30 20
36 00 81 90 21 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FF 00 47 35 32
35 48 39 35 38 31 38 37 4C 0A 28 3C 80 A0 70 B0
23 40 30 20 36 00 81 91 21 00 00 1C 00 00 00 FD
00 31 56 1D 71 1C 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 4F

dak

0 Kudos
Raemus
1 Copper

Try downloading the CD-Image ISO from:

http://www.jeffgeiger.com/Stuff/DVI_Recover.htm

BTW: Do you know what happened that resulted in the loss of DVI Port 1?  For me, it seemed to happen when I accidently booted the computer with the monitor turned off and then turned the monitor on after the computer was booted.

This worked!  I was able to boot to CD no problem and run the command for port 2.  I was able to see that the header was "00 A7 FF ..." prior to the update, and it is now showing "00 FF FF..."   I am currently using my monitor on the original port that stopped working.  I set the EDIDWP to "on" in the service menu, so hopefully that will help prevent this from happening again.

If I remember correctly, this first happend when I sat down to use the computer, and the monitor just never came out of standby.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bellasophie
1 Copper

Fusion 22, or anyone for that matter, if you could please help me I'd really appreciate it. I've booted with the DVI Recovery CD but the command prompt is giving me problems...

It keeps saying 'fatal error on request for capabilities', 'failure to open DDC Channel'

Any help is much appreciated as my monitor takes 25 minutes at this point to get running every single time. I'm not sure how to approach this issue, please see image linked below

PS I have turned on DDCCI

0 Kudos
Fusion22
1 Copper

... some suggestions:

1) make sure you are communicating on the right port (try ddcw -m 1 -p  or ddcw -m 0 -p)

2) try a dvi cable from a different manufacturer; a poor cable will cause communication problems

3) make sure ddc is turned ON in the service mode (see earlier posts) and not just in the OSD panel... I'm not sure, but the service panel may over-ride the setting in the OSD

4) Make sure the EDID is not set to "write protect" ON in the service panel

5) Try connecting the monitor to another computer with a different video board.  Your video board may not be DDC-compliant and therefore incapable of proper DDC communication.

You may have more serious problems than just a corrupt EDID header.  If it takes 25 minutes for the monitor to get going then it is likely that there is something else wrong.  Consider returning the monitor to DELL if still under warranty.  If you mess up the settings in the service panel then you will probably void any warranty.

0 Kudos
bellasophie
1 Copper

Thanks Fusion, going to give all of this a shot and will let you know how it goes. I was exaggerating with 25 minutes load time, but you know what I mean...I have to restart 2-3 times and unplug the wires for it to boot up

I'll reply after tests, much appreciated.

0 Kudos