Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2007 08:00

Dell Dead Pixel Policy

Hi

Recently, I have bought a DELL SE198WFP last monday 25th Jun 07. It was delivered on 29th Jun 07 and on the very night when I installed the LCD, I found one very irritating dead pixel on the middle of the screen. As I will be doing lots of graphics word and gaming on this LCD, this pixel caused many troubles for me.

I understand that dell had some dead pixel policy and i called the customer service line and they refuse to replace for me as they said that it is only one pixel dead.

Since it is within 30 days from the date of invoice (DELL total satisfaction policy), is it possible for me to get a replacement monitor?

Somemore, I would expect a monitor with no dead pixels and other defects since I spent so much on it?

Would the replacement monitor be good, as in free from any dead pixels and backlighting?

anyone please advice.

thanks

170 Posts

July 3rd, 2007 18:00

In short, while you could turn the monitor back for another within 21 days after date of invoice (the 30-day limit is a couple of years gone), there’s no guarantee you wouldn’t get another just the same. The “acceptable” pixel deadness limit appears to be five or six of ’em these days. Are you quite certain the pixel is dead and not just stuck? I’ve cured my flat panel before by wrapping my fingertip in a kleenex and very gently rubbing over the area where the bad pixel is.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2007 18:00

ahwen,

A display with 1 to 5 Dead or Stuck pixels is within the industry standards, and is therefore considered an acceptable display.

* 1 to 5 Dead or Stuck pixels spread out are within current standards and do NOT warrant a replacement
* 6 or more Dead or Stuck pixels anywhere warrants a replacement monitor
* 2 adjacent Dead or Stuck pixels warrants a replacement monitor with manager approval
* 1 Dead or Stuck pixel directly in the center warrants a replacement monitor with manager approval

You may return any Dell product, no questions asked, within 30 days from the invoice date. After that, you can only do a like for like exchange.

Dead Pixel = a pixel whose 3 sub-pixels are permanently off, producing a permanently black pixel.

Stuck Pixel = Stuck pixels have been reported to disappear, and there are several popular methods purported to fix them, such as gently rubbing the screen (in an attempt to reseat the pixel), cycling the color value of the stuck pixel rapidly (in other words, flashing bright colors on the screen,) or simply tolerating the stuck pixel until it disappears (which can take anywhere from a day to years.) Stuck pixels are not guaranteed to be correctable, and can remain faulty for the life of the monitor.

Possible fix for Stuck Pixel
Try using Dead Pixel Buddy which will cycle the main RGB colors on every pixel at a very rapid rate in the hope of fixing the stuck pixel.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2007 23:00

ahwen,

Correct. I heard our policy is now 30 days, not 21 days. Bottomline, escalate to a manager.

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2007 23:00

mine is a black pixel.

I tried the dead pixel buddy and whenever I change the color of the background, it is always black.

so is a dead pixel right? and there is no cure for dead pixel?

No Events found!