Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2013 08:00

Dell P2214H froze with blue pattern

I was web browsing with my new P2214H, and went to one of the websites I always go to, and I was looking at how different the pattern background for it looked, which is a pattern of light gray diagonal lines that fade down the screen, compared to my old CRT monitor that I usually view the site on.  I zoomed in on the pattern and then zoomed all the way out when suddenly the screen glitched into a blue pattern.  I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but I think it was mostly blue and white, and not like a simple checkboard pattern.  It was kind of fancy.  But the screen was stuck on it.  I turned off and turned back on the monitor, press some keys, and moved the mouse, until I finally force restarted the computer and then the monitor was fine.  I haven't been able to duplicate the glitch so far.

I haven't had any other issues with it in a week.  I plugged my old Radeon 5770 into it yesterday, but I didn't have any problems while playing Battlefield 4.  I have Windows 8.1 64-bit, and I was browsing with the latest version of Firefox.

I'm just wondering if it was the graphics card or the monitor, and if I should be worried about it?

Edit: Now I am worried because it just happened again, only this time the screen froze blank white with maybe a hint of blue while I was typing an email, so it has happened twice in the last hour.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2013 11:00

Maxor127,

Can you replicate the issue using IE and Google Chrome?
Can you replicate the issue using a different monitor?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 27th, 2013 07:00

So the issue never occurs when testing IE and Chrome. Only FF.

I never had this problem with the same graphics card in an old system with a CRT monitor.
* Are you saying that you took the video card from computer A and put it into computer B and you are testing computer B?

3 Posts

November 27th, 2013 07:00

I can't replicate it at all.  It seems random.  It just happened again.  Screen froze with a white/light gray color.  All three times were while using Firefox, and all on different pages while doing different actions.  I never had this problem with the same graphics card in an old system with a CRT monitor.

3 Posts

November 28th, 2013 19:00

I got a new computer, and I'm too cheap to get a new graphics card right now, so I took my old Radeon 5770 from my old computer and put it in my new one, replacing the Intel HD graphics that was on there.  I'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with Firefox and Radeon.  It seems to happen when I've freshly booted up my computer and start browsing the internet.  And then it seems to be fine the rest of the day.  I've had about four crashes now, all in Firefox.  It seems like the screen freezes as whatever the background is, since I was on Newegg looking at Black Friday deals and it froze with the color of Newegg's background.  I have Hardware Acceleration off now, and I'll see if that helps.

I was worried that it was the monitor, but I suspect now it's a combination of the graphics card, Firefox, and Windows 8.

No Events found!