Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Dell P2311H Stuck in Power Saving Mode

Howdy,

I have a Dell P2311H monitor that I bought a few years ago and everything was working perfectly until just recently when I upgraded my desktop computer (non-Dell, I built it myself). I have a dual monitor setup and my P2311H has lost signal and now only stays in its Power Saving Mode. When I press the Menu button it tells me that there's no signal and to press a button or move the mouse. It's acting like there is no signal coming into the monitor through the DVI cable, but there is a signal because my other monitor works on all of the DVI ports. 

Troubleshooting Performed:

• I've been looking at other posts on forums and none of them have been helpful because it seems like the solution to their issues is something simple. I know it's not a loose DVI cable or power cord. 
  • I know definitively that it's not the video card because my other monitor works in both of the DVI ports.
  • I know it's not the cable because I've tried using another working DVI cable from my other monitor. 
  • I've also tried using integrated graphics on my motherboard and that doesn't work either. 
  • I've even tried the monitor on multiple computers and multiple video cards and it still will not receive any signal. 
  • I've tried holding the power button for 5 seconds, but nothing happens.
  • I've tried holding the 1 & 4 button to get the diagnostics menu, but it will not come up. The only menu I can get to is the Input Selection Menu for Auto, VGA, or DVI, but changing those has no effect on the monitor. 
  • It is not a sleep issue with my computer because my computer is fully functional and works perfectly with my other monitor.

I haven't tried the VGA port, but I have a VGA cable on order and will be trying that soon as well.

Here's my system:

Dell P2311H 23" monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i5-3570K
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 Ti
ASUS P8Z77-V Mobo

Thanks!

June 6th, 2013 09:00

Hi, thank you Babita. I've actually tried those things already, but I actually got it to work by using a VGA cable with a VGA to DVI adapter. I went into the device manager and scanned for new hardware and it found the monitor again. I'm not sure why this started happening in the first place since it was working quite well with two DVI cables in my old computer. It still won't work with two DVI cables, I guess I'll just have to use VGA and DVI

1.3K Posts

June 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi Elmuchogrumpy,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Since the monitor does not work even when connected to different computers, you can run the Self Test Feature Check on your monitor. Your monitor provides a self-test feature that allows you to check whether your monitor is functioning properly.

• Turn off both the monitor and computer.
  • Unplug the video cable from the back of the computer and the monitor.
  • Power on the monitor. You will see a floating dialog box  (against a black background) if the monitor cannot sense a video signal and is working correctly.
  • This box also appears during normal system operation, if the video cable becomes disconnected or damaged.
  • Turn off your monitor and reconnect the video cable; then turn on both your computer and the monitor.
  • If your monitor screen remains blank after you use the previous procedure, check your video controller and computer, because your monitor is functioning properly.

Your monitor has a built-in diagnostic tool that helps you determine if the screen abnormality you are experiencing is an inherent problem with your monitor, or with your computer and video card. You can run the built-in diagnostics only when the video cable is unplugged and the monitor is in self-test mode.
To run the built-in diagnostics:

•  Ensure that the screen is clean (no dust particles on the surface of the screen).
  •  Unplug the video cable(s) from the back of the computer or monitor. The monitor then goes into the self-test mode.
  •  Press and hold the Button 1 and Button 4 on the front panel simultaneously for 2 seconds. A gray screen appears.
  •  Carefully inspect the screen for abnormalities.
  •  Press the Button 4 on the front panel again. The color of the screen changes to red.
  •  Inspect the display for any abnormalities.
  •  Repeat steps 5 and 6 to inspect the display in green, blue, black, white screens.

The test is complete when the white screen appears. To exit, press the Button 4 again.
If you do not detect any screen abnormalities upon using the built-in diagnostic tool, the monitor is functioning properly. Check the video card and computer.

You may also click on the link below for the Setup and User's Guide for your Dell P2311H monitor. Click on the sub-menu Manuals & Documentation for access to the Setup and User's Guide.

http://dell.to/16ILanN

Let me know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

June 6th, 2013 03:00

Hi Elmuchogrumpy,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

June 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi Elmuchogrumpy,

Thank you for your reply.

It is great to know that you have got your system and the Dell monitor up and working correctly.  Since your computer is not a Dell, I will not be able to help you much with troubleshooting on the same for the dual DVI issue as I do not have relevant expertise on third-party computers.

However, in case you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

No Events found!