KeinZantezuken
1 Copper

Dell P2414H backlight flickering/color tone issue

Can someone please explain me if the weird changes in color temps in quite a few situations (backlight flickering/auto-adjusting?) are normal for Dells:

www.dropbox.com/.../dell_test2.mp4

I know it is hard to see on the video recorded with bad camera (it also auto-adjusts to lighting env with no way to disable), but in general, there are 3 things happening:

1. Camera auto-adjust to amount of light that comes from display - IGNORE
2. Small changes in overall lighting due to scene changes, these are normal to any display - IGNORE
3. Weird color temperature changes on the display, sometimes completely unrelated to scene changes in the center of the screen. You can notice how the general brown background here:
http://i.imgur.com/NZ2ArzQ.png
(red rectangle - the spot I recorded in camera, changes in color temperature/tone can be seen on any part of the bg)
changes its tone/temperature. Skip to 0:45 to see it more clearly - for a few seconds there is no changes in overall colors on the scene in the center, but you can see background swapping its colortone. That is not a camera trick or anything, this is what I see. Happens in Firefox too so it is not an application issue.

Now, this wouldn't be an issue if it happened just under these specific conditions, but I often notice how the color temperature/tone changes during me switching between windows and such. At first I thought my eyes playing tricks on me when I change window with leading dark tones to white tones or return eyesight from darkish environment to the screen, but no, I clearly can see whites overall taking slightly reddish tint when these weird changes in color tone happen. They are subtle, yes, but noticeable.

What is interesting is that:

1. I could not notice such changes under preset: Movie, Multimedia, Game, Cool.
2. If I record an on-screen video (raw RGB24) of the browser window and try to play it fullscreen - I don't see such effect.
3. Not related to refresh rate.

What possibly could cause this? I'v never seen anything like that on Acer/Samsung.

S/N: CN-036WJX-74261-51Q-6FPL

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KeinZantezuken
1 Copper

RE: Dell P2414H backlight flickering/color tone issue

Anyone?

0 Kudos
KeinZantezuken
1 Copper

If there is anyone with P2414H/U2414H reading this thread, could you try to confirm the issue for me:

Here is the lossless recording:

]hugefiles.net/lfklqzdludga

(60fps, 1920x1080, 500Mb)

You will need to install Lagarith Lossless Codec: lags.leetcode.net/LagarithSetup_1327.exe(windows does not support any lossless format by default)

I used MPC-HC played in Sync Renderer mode to test it but it should work everywhere. Issue can be reproduced. Basically, just open it fullscreen and look carefully at the brownish background, preferably in one place (I picked up left upper part). Sometimes, it will change the color tone, especially when scene changes.

0 Kudos
dshay76
1 Copper

I've got a Dell Rugged Lattitude 5404 that has backlight flicker but for me it's at specific screen dimming settings in the lower range. I have an electronics background and I would suspect the feedback loop for sensing the current level is unstable/oscillating. Also, a corner of the LCD will go dim and not light back up. I've had two Lattitude 5404 that have exhibited this behavior, I'm on my second, although the first was much worse, I'm hoping it doesn't get worse over time.

0 Kudos