Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 13th, 2010 01:00

Dell U2410 causes WPD FileSystem error in Device Manager

Has anyone experienced similar issues with there DELL U2410 ?

Just out of no where under my device manager I receive a exclamation mark under "Portable Devices" and an inactive drive letter in "My Computer"

Details below:

Device Type: Portable Devices
Device Status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

and under details
WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

After fiddling around with it for a while I realise it's my Dell U2410 USB connection that is causing it. I have both my keyboard and mouse connected to the side of the monitor and then one cable leading to the laptop. When I disconnect the USB cable leading to the monitor the exclamation mark is gone. I have a feeling it has something to do with the memory card reader on the monitor. I have tried putting a memory card into the side of the monitor but it doesn't recognise it.

Has anyone experienced similar issues. It appears to have only started since I connected a new mouse earlier today. I have tried may different combinations with the usb ports and uninstalling the driver but with little luck.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers !!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 13th, 2010 14:00

The following is just my opinion and my user model.

I never plug a mouse or keyboard into any monitors USB ports. I only use them for USB keys and the like. I always plug the mouse and keyboard directly into the PC USB ports. The reason is your going from a keyboard/mouse to a USB hub on the monitor through the monitor USB uplink cable to another USB hub on the PC. This just leads to operating system issues.

August 14th, 2010 10:00

Thanks for the follow up Dell-Chris M

I usually connect these items directly to my desktop but in this instance I am using my laptop and it has limited USB connections. I've just formatted my laptop due to other reasons and reinstalled win7 and it appears to have rectified it self . 

October 24th, 2010 19:00

The following is just my opinion and my user model.

I never plug a mouse or keyboard into any monitors USB ports. I only use them for USB keys and the like. I always plug the mouse and keyboard directly into the PC USB ports. The reason is your going from a keyboard/mouse to a USB hub on the monitor through the monitor USB uplink cable to another USB hub on the PC. This just leads to operating system issues.

Now I understand more about it, Many thanks to your description!

November 15th, 2010 10:00

WPD FileSystem Volume Driver

I too am having the same problems - It started happening when I upgraded to Windows 7 - Ultimate. Has anyone a resolve? The 'device status' says that this device cannot start (Code 10).  When trying to update driver, Windows has determined the driver software is up to date.

When trying to find a resolve on-line, there seems to be masses of advice to solve the problem. But they seem to be Registry cleaner software manufacturers trying you get you to purchase their software. THAT DOES NOT WORK.

Would be glad of a solution.

Regards

No Events found!