Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2013 17:00

Dell U2413/U2713H (or Windows 8 perhaps) Color Management Issue

Hello guys!

I am a graphic designer/excessive Photoshop user and I just purchased Dell U2413 in order to get, in combination with my Nvidia Quadro K2000 graphic card, a true wide gamut/10-bit color work environment which is very important for what I do. (Nec or Eizo wasn't an option because I've already spent so much money on the other hardware and I've opted for Dell because I've heard that's the best display in this price range - in my country, with taxes, it cost me 566 EUR).

Before that, I was working on iMac for almost a decade so separate hardware pieces or Windows operating system was a completely new (and, I must admit, pretty terrifying) territory for me. However, after everything was set up, I tried to calibrate my monitor for the first time and then I was pretty unpleasantly surprised! Namely, I already have X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter and a few optional software for it (ColorEyes Display Pro and baslCColor display 5 was much better/suitable for me because of their L * option for TRC so I was never using it's original i 1 Profiler software which is a LOT inferior compering to previous two), but because Dell in it's manual stated to use it's UltraSharp Color Calibration Solution software exclusively, I decided to give it a go and to try with it. But, on my (as I already said, very unpleasant!) surprise, i was inferior EVEN from i1 Profiler which, as I've stated, never was an option for me.

Not the end of the world, I said to myself, I'll recalibrate it with ColorEyes Display Pro and everything's gonna be fine. But, after doing so, my unpleasant surprise become even more unpleasant when i discovered that, no matter which profile I chose in Windows Color Management and hit 'Set as Default', nothing happens - my display stays the same! The only way I can get a color shift is if I create a profile using Windows built in utility. Profiles created this way change the appearance of the screen, but any downloaded or created profiles make no difference. And now I literally don't know what to do... :emotion-6: The only thing worse from that, I don't know WHO to blame:

1. Dell - who made a "high end" display which gives you ONLY a few factory presets + 2 custom profiles (Cal1 & Cal2) made by the most inferior and useless calibration software nowdays;
2. Windows 8 - who made an awful Color Management which, as the matter of fact, isn't a color management at all;
3. Me - who is incapable to see/set up something which is more than simple & obvious?

THANKS IN ADVANCE to everybody willing to help me to solve this issue and forgive me for such a long (and maybe confusing - as you can tell English is not my native language) post!

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

October 31st, 2013 04:00

First of all if you are using Color eyes pro with GBLED and i1DisplayPro and you are not prompted for some kind of spectral correction for your screen backlight type, you are doing it wrong. No matter how visually pleasing it is, the profile is not acurate, playing WYSIWYB (what you see is what you believe) not WYSIWYG.
Second, unless you purchased/updated Basiccolor Display 5 after May 2013 (NEC GB LED suppor for PA242W, 5.1.2 version) with GBLED and i1DisplayPro, its measures are wrong, no matter how pleasing calibration is.

About your questions:
You have 6 presets:
-CAL1/CAL2, please read in this forum configuration issues about Dell Color Calibration Solution. Please install latest version 1.0.1.0 (67MB) and disable all color tweaks in yor nvidia GPU (vivid color, digital vibrance... all OFF). Most of us are using it in windows7 without issue (after some configuration tweaks: spectal correction files for GBLED)
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19512342.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19517601.aspx
etc
-AdobeRGB/sRGB factory preset which are probably with white point off D65, recalibrate in GPU LUT with ArgyllCMS/DisplayCal. Working fine.
-Standard with usually has WP arround 7000K (native GBLED WP), if calibrated in GPU LUT with ArgyllCMS/DisplayCal to "nearest daylight locus" from your native WP, should give to you about 1000:1 contrast. Maybe it is useless to your workflow, but better to know it.
-Custom, native gamut, fully customizable WhitePoint,blackpopint and luminance from D50 to D70 and beyond.
Working with color managed apps you only need Custom, CAL1 and CAL2.

Maybe you are suffering an issue from Windows Color Management (from  Windows Vista onwards). By default Windows does not allow profiles (but applications can) to rewrite GPU LUT calibration. You have to configure it.
In W8 it is done by:
-From right panel -> search -> color management
-Go to Advanced options tab
-click on "change default settings ...", the bottom button with admin privileges.
-Go to Advanced options tab in this new window
-Toogle check buton (bottom) "use windows calibration on screen" (sorry I have not an Englsih version of Windows and I do not know the exact text)
-Reload calibrations button (bottom)
-Close
-Go to "Devices" tab and select your screen in upper combo
-enable checkbox "use my configuaration for this device"
-Select your profile

Your Dell display MUST be in the same OSD preset in which that profile was created, without further contrast or brightness changes.
If enabled, please turn OFF "AUTO" mode in Dell Display Manager tray icon, use Manual mode with "enhanced video" (last tab) OFF.

BTW and I know that it is not your case, but without 10bit workflow or gamma in 3DLUT (NECs & eizos) L* gamma calibration is pointless.

For those who struck with 8bit or DCCS better try sRGB gamma TRC and let Photoshop or GIMP color management to do the corrections for ECIv2 images (or with similar gamma profiles)

3 Posts

October 31st, 2013 09:00

Dear yumichan,

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for taking the time to explain all this stuff! <3

It seams that the problem were the missing new drivers from basiCColor Display 5, now with the updated version of it everything works fine.

Once again, THANKS for all your time and effort you put here in order to help me to solve this out!

3 Posts

October 31st, 2013 09:00

Dear YUMICHAN,

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for taking the time to help me out with all this stuff!

I think that the problem were the missing drivers of the new version of basICColor Display 5, now it seams that everything works fine.

Once again, THANKS A TONE, you're such a <3!

No Events found!