Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2013 17:00

Dell U2713HM monitor blinks/flashes/jitters

Hello,

I have a 30 day old U2713HM that is giving me a problem and has been since the day I purchased it. At seemingly random times but more likely when there is a bit of action on the screen (multiple browsers/programs/etc) my monitor very quickly blinks. The screen does not go blank for any period of time that is noticeable to the naked eye, it just very quickly blinks or flashes.

Any insight you could offer as to the cause of this would be very appreciated.  I tried changing connection cords, using various connection types, etc.  All to no avail. 

If it helps it is connected to this Laptop http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...082&CatId=3998 

Thank you in advance for any insight!

-Logan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 27th, 2013 04:00

LoganAlexander,

Does the issue occur when testing the U2713HM via VGA to VGA on the laptop using our cable?
Does the issue occur when testing the U2713HM via HDMI to HDMI on the laptop?
What specific HDMI cable did you purchase?

January 27th, 2013 08:00

Thank you sir for your reply.  Yes it happens when I use the VGA cable that came with the monitor, and with my own personal VGA cable.  It was it happening with the VGA cable that prompted me to buy the HDMI cable in hopes that it would rectify the problem.  

I bought this VGA cable from Amazon.com:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_4

I also tested the u2713hm with my old laptop and found the same problem.  However when I connect either of my laptops to my old acer 22inch monitor via VGA, the problem does not exist.  Further, I have had this identical problem with two seemingly identical u2713hms, because I had ordered one and dell support was unable to get it to work for a separate problem, and they had sent me a new one.  It is an odd series of events that leads me to believe it is some sort of setting issue, or just a somewhat common defect.  

I hope the further detail can help you get to the bottom of my issue.  Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Regards,

Logan

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 27th, 2013 12:00

If connected, disconnect the monitor USB cable from the computer. Retest.

Open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Other Settings. Do the Factory Reset- Reset All Settings. Retest.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2013 20:00

Just want to say, I am noticing this as well with the Dual link DVI and a new Mac Pro.  I have had the monitor for just a few days and the blinking caught my eye three times so far this evening.  I just tried this solution, I will let you know if it continues.  It's a good looking monitor, I really hope this isn't a frequent problem!  I need some good news.

1 Message

April 22nd, 2013 14:00

I am also noticing this periodic jitter with a brand new U2713HM using VGA connection to my macbook pro.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2013 20:00

Unfortunately, my response is not an answer, but it is offered as a reinforcement to the other posters in this thread.  I just received a new  Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS LED LCD Monitor - 16:9 - 8 ms.  Less than 3 hours after unboxing and installing the monitor, a similar blinking issue was noticed.  This equipment was purchased through Amazon to provide a second screen supplement to a Dell Precision M6600 workstation (which is a laptop form factor).  Although a 27" screen was strongly considered, the smaller unit was selected because this is being used in a home office and I didn't want to consume a lot of space.  In my case, the blinking occurs on my laptop screen and not on the other newly connected monitor, however.

I have disconnected and reconnected the monitor several times, I have reinstalled the drivers and I have removed all peripheral equipment in an attempt to isolate the problem.  It occurs unpredictably and once it begins the system must be shut down in order to stop the blinking.  On the next occurrence, I will adjust the display settings to see if that has the desired effect.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2013 22:00

Yeah methinks its time to return this stat.

3 Posts

April 26th, 2013 22:00

BTW, mine came from Amazon as well, "Vernal Tech".

No Events found!