Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 13:00

Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitors blink on DisplayPort connection

Hello,

I have a total of 8 Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitors, and all are experiencing the same issue.  They all blink (though not necessarily at the same time) once in a while when using the DisplayPort connection to drive them.  When hooked to the same PC and video card via DVI, or a passive DP-DVI adapter, they do not experience the issue.

Initially, I had the monitors hooked to a HIS Radeon HD6850, and the blinking was very frequency (once every 5 minutes or so).  I have changed to a different video card (XFX Radeon HD6770) and the blinking is less frequent (maybe once every 30 minutes) but still annoying.  I have tried new cables and another PC, yet the issue persists.  Changing to the DVI input of the monitor immediately makes the issue stop occurring.  Again, all of these monitors experience the problem, so I don't believe it's a one-off defective unit.

When the monitor "blinks" (goes black) I see the input logo appear for a second when it returns, which makes me think the monitor is losing sync of some sort.  Searching through the forum, I see a few mentions of issues which sound similar, but no one ever seems to have a solution.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is there a solution?  Driving all the monitors off DVI is not an acceptable solution as most video cards, such as mine, can only drive 2 monitors via DVI with passive DP converters, meaning I will need to purchase several expensive (~$75) active DP-DVI converters.

Thanks!

11 Posts

November 28th, 2011 13:00

Dell mods?  Any response on this?

11 Posts

November 28th, 2011 22:00

The PC is configured to never sleep, and happens even when the PC is being actively used so should be unrelated to monitor blanking - I will disable it just to confirm.  Again, the same monitor, when connected via DVI to the same video card, does not experience this issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 28th, 2011 22:00

Does the blink occur when the PCs are in an active state or are they in some powersave mode? Understand the monitor DP is passive, meaning if the video card driver ever stops sending the signal to the monitor, the monitor will go into into that mode of "not connected". The monitor does not seek out the handshake.

11 Posts

December 1st, 2011 12:00

I can confirm this happens even with monitor power saving disabled.

No Events found!