Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2011 19:00

Dell Ultrasharp u2711 monitor - color management??

Hi,

I'm completely new to all things about color management, calibrating, profiling etc and I'm not even sure if I can make a difference between all these things.

I bought this monitor (on order, haven't received it yet), partly because I wanted a bigger screen but also because I thought that getting a display like this would give me the possibility to show my photographs with accurate colors. Now I don't know what to think about it cause when I read on the web, all becomes really fuzzy and really confusing. When I read about the display, it says that it comes already calibrated and color managed, all ready to go. But when I read what people write about it, they claim that you need to calibrate and to color manage or whatever, to make it accurate.

I use Lightroom to edit my RAW's and Lightroom uses ProPhoto RGB as its working color space, am I right? So here arises some questions.

What mode should I use for my monitor if I want to show my workflow as accurate, in term of colors, as possible and should I assign a color profile for the monitor in Windows? If so, which one?

I just want it to be as easy as possible. I want my workflow to just be accurate on this screen and what I'm wondering is how I can make sure that it is just that.

What I also wonder is what happens with everything that isn't ProPhoto RGB, like sRGB for instance? Will those things look just as it does on my sRGB screen (does not have wide gamut)? Cause I don't want to shift between modes all the time just to make sure that the content I'm working with or looking at, at the moment, views properly. I just want to have one setting and have all content show accurate in terms of color accuracy.

As you can see, I'm a complete noob on this. I'm not really a tech savvy when it comes to these things. What I would need is just some basic guidance and clarification on this matter.

I Thank you

11 Posts

August 4th, 2011 09:00

Hello there :)

I also dont know so much about this whole calibration thing. I do however own a calibration device. Its mostly overkill for me as I cannot interpret all of the data it gives back to me but it did help me calibrate my monitors. The advantage of something like this is, you can calibrate a monitor, then have the device calibrate another monitor to the same settings. so say you work on different workstations and locations, all of them can be set so the colors you work with look the same.

spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s3elite.php

As for the rest, I am sorry, you know more then I do!

Good luck Andreas!

11 Posts

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Here AndreasC, this may help you more then me.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

11 Posts

Well it's not much of an answer but its a partial :)

2 Posts

Thanks for your answer. I appreciate it :)

August 7th, 2011 10:00

Reply requested from a Dell Tech please...

I'm considering getting the Dell Ultrasharp IPS 27" monitor. Reading about it, one may come away with the impression that since it is color calibrated right out of the box, that you never have to calibrate again. I do NOT believe this is right, but someone correct me if I'm wrong! This would apply to any IPS monitor you purschase.

Checkout DataColor. They have a series of calibration tools, depending on how much you want to spend. The Spyder3 is most likely your best investment.

11 Posts

August 7th, 2011 14:00

Oh dont get me wrong, I still consider the U2711 to be a fantastic monitor, even with the heat issues. I agree with what you said about calibration. I watch HD Nation and Tekzilla alot and one of the two hosts calibrates Televsions, Projectors and theater equipment for a living. They regularly review Televisions and Screens and there are NO devices that come in 100% calibration format. It is worth reading up on the calibration link I have posted above or invest in a Spyder by Datacolor that I also posted earlier, especially if you are a professional.

A little note about the heat issue. The monitors comes on the Standard preset and the Brightness/Contrast come preset with 50/50. I believe this to be too high for the average need. I must admit that my office is in a dark environment, but I have mine set to 30/50 and I could probably lower them still without any impact.

Having done this alone and having slightly increased the airflow in my room by moving a few things around or having a small fan really helps :emotion-1:

No Events found!