Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2008 11:00

Dell Webcam Manager

I just received a new Dell XPS 420 with a SP2309W monitor with builtin webcam.  when i try to run the dell Webcam Manager, I get an error message stating that the webcam driver is not installed.  I installed the webcam software from the CD dell included, so not sure what is going on.  the webcam seems to work when accessed through Dell Webcam Central. 

Any thoughts?  Is this a possible compatibility problem between this new monitor and Webcam Manager that Dell hasn't tested out yet?

January 6th, 2009 08:00

I'm having a similar problem with a SP2309w monitor cam.  It says its a creative webcam, just wish I could find the correct Creative software so i could ditch the Dell stuff.  I never had a Webcam Manager, only the Webcam Central.  Done all the loading and unloading, downloading etc, still cant see the webcam, even tho it works in control panel cameras to take stills, so i know it works and the driver is loaded.

toad

16 Posts

January 6th, 2009 09:00

I've been to Creative Labs site, all the drivers are up to date. The problem is the installer for the 64-bit that is the problem/Webcam Manager, I think. I have some 32-bit programs on my older system that wouldn't install on this 64 bit system. I copied them to my storage drive, then copied and pasted them in the program file on my new system, they work fine. Hope to find a fix.

13 Posts

January 6th, 2009 09:00

Jimmy P -

If you are still monitoring this forum thread, can you confirm whether or not the problem folks are experiencing with the webcam software is related to incompatible drivers or software on 64-bit Vista?

1.5K Posts

January 6th, 2009 10:00

Since we don't have any 64bit drivers for the webcam, at least that I can find, yea that could be the problem.

My problem is with the Webcam Central on Windows XP 32bit.  All I get is "Please plug in a supported webcam" on the application.  Also I have no Dell Webcam Manager at all, just the central.

What other software can I use.  Not too bothered what it is as long as it works.  Dells doesn't.

Yes I have the USB cable connected, and direct not through a hub.

toad

16 Posts

The webcam works fine, no problems at all. It's the Dell Webcam manager that wouldn't work proper. The features of WebCam Console and Center will not ID the drivers. Still working on coping files instead of using the installer.

January 7th, 2009 23:00

I just rec'd my new Dell today and I too had a problem with the webcam drivers not being recognized, but when I went into 'Webcam Central' from the 'Start' menu, all seems to work fine, even was able to sign up for video chat, added some contacts and made some adjustments to the camera quality itself.

I suggest you give that a try if you're still having problems. If you try it and nothing happens, or you've already tried this route, then I'm out of answers short of busting someone's onions at Dell support, be that online or via phone but you need to pressure them into fixing the problem somehow. I would also suggest hitting up other forums online and see what you can find out there as well. Never hurts to have a second, or in my case sometimes, a fifth or sixth opinion.

Good luck...

Cheers!!

16 Posts

January 19th, 2009 18:00

I'm still having the same problem, on a XPS 630i system. The webcam works fine, it's just the manager features, not being able to ID the divers, I'm still working on finding a fix.

12 Posts

March 5th, 2009 20:00

After I reinstalled OS I can not event instal driver for webcam. Vista does not see device.

16 Posts

March 6th, 2009 04:00

I'm still looking for a fix on the matter. My web cam works fine, as does WebCam Central. It the feature in the Webcam Manager that won't ID the drivers. Did you run your Dell disk for drivers etc. ? I've been finding there are a lot of annoying Vista problem, small but annoying.

12 Posts

March 6th, 2009 05:00

Yes, I runed Dell disk for drivers. Driver can not be installed.

1 Message

March 27th, 2009 12:00

I have got a similar problem too....But i'm on XP SP3. I can't even install driver for my webcam. it is recognized as USB DEVICE but won't find any driver. and it sis under OTHER DEVICE as USB DEVICE with yellow exclamation mark on it. RMA'd my new monitor only to find the  refurbished monitor tht i was sent had same problem. First dell product and not a good start i have to say...

May 2nd, 2009 15:00

I just rec'd my new Dell today and I too had a problem with the webcam drivers not being recognized, but when I went into 'Webcam Central' from the 'Start' menu, all seems to work fine, even was able to sign up for video chat, added some contacts and made some adjustments to the camera quality itself.

I suggest you give that a try if you're still having problems. If you try it and nothing happens, or you've already tried this route, then I'm out of answers short of busting someone's onions at Dell support, be that online or via phone but you need to pressure them into fixing the problem somehow. I would also suggest hitting up other forums online and see what you can find out there as well. Never hurts to have a second, or in my case sometimes, a fifth or sixth opinion.

Good luck...

Cheers!!

Actually, I spoke way too soon and am now just getting back to the forums to see if this issue has yet been fixed. Apparently not. Not sure what happened or why it worked one day, but when I went to set it all up, I got the same messages the rest of you here got ("cam not installed"..."drivers not recognized"...etc.) and I've yet to see a specific answer or solution posted here from the powers that be at Dell.

I'm running Vista Home Premium and I have a feeling that Dell has yet to update all their drivers to be compatible with Vista (32 bit AND 64bit - I'm running the 32bit version exactly because of myriad compatibility issues with sites that won't or can't load properly, etc.) eventhough Vista has been out for quite awhile. And it's not like Vista just came out one morning with no warning to the compatibility issues or anything, so I'm at a loss as to why this issue persists and why there wasn't a disclaimer on the monitor about compatibility issues with the integrated mic/cam SP2309W when I purchased it. That would have been helpful. I am happy with the picture quality and all, but I'm weird in the fact that I want, and expect ALL things I purchase to work, and if not, then an easy fix should be available.

I am confused about whether or not Creative Labs DOES or DOES NOT have an updated driver that will get my system to recognize the cam and it's drivers? If I'm reading these correctly, there is a driver, but I can't tell if it's worked or not. Anyone yet try it? Also, could this be nothing more than a Vista/Dell incompatibility issue and nothing more than that?

I will try some of the suggestions posted here, but I'm not holding out that any and/or all of them will work. If they do, I will be sure to come back and explain exactly what I did and hopefully this will give some of you here some satisfaction.

All this being said, I'm hoping that someone from Dell is monitoring this thread and will read this post and in turn, post a response as to anything else I can possibly try to get BOTH my integrated mic/webcam array to not only be recognized by my system to begin with, but to work properly as I was "promised" when I purchased this system, because again, there was no disclaimers stating the problems that Dell was aware of with the integrated mic/cam on 2309 at the point of purchase.

Bottom line is that the point in which we're at in society with how far computers have come, there should be no reason whatsoever that this problem shouldn't be able to be fixed simply and easily, not to mention, been available a long time ago.

Cheers!

2 Posts

August 10th, 2009 23:00

See other post for fix (has worked for some)

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19271842/19533320.aspx#19533320

15 Posts

November 20th, 2009 11:00

I have problem with Dell Webcam,can't reccord video because the audio does not work. Shortly after I got a new Studio  1555  It stopped working.

Since Then I try to solve the problem using all  the help Dell provide online, expecting to get a link with detailed instuction how to repair the product still under warranty.On the searching way I am redirected all the time to  different department  everyone with huge  out of topic material  and I find no help to my problem. thereafter I regognized the issue as the unsolve one and stoped  looking further.This is my solution.

Hope it is helpful.

No Events found!